ZAINO HELP PLEASE......

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
OK....as usual I didn't really read the directions I downloaded from Zaino themselves...always after I'm halfway through...please if anybody can help.....

1- I am using a colored towel instead of white since the store didn't have them..they are good quality but not white OK or NOT?

2-I did everything right up until my 1st polish coat...after wiping of the first coat with my COLORED towel I applied the 2nd right after when I should have waited 6 hours..is this OK or NOT??
BTW I did let the coats dry overnight...

3- I did not use the Z-6 gloss enhancer between coats..is this OK or NOT?

I really would appreciate the feedback...I want so bad to have the shine you Zaino users have achieved...Nick...

satin silver coupe
MAC cat back
Steeda tri-ax
Steeda CAI
lots of MGW and UPR stuff
Cobra mats and door sills
Cobra grill emblem
blacked out rear fascia letters
Mach 1 center console bezel (breaks up the dull gray dash)

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
You haven't broken anything. Next time, chill out and read the directions!

White towels: no dye. I hoped you washed your colored towels and rinsed several times to get the dye out. AND no fabirc softner.

2nd coat: Is it hazy? If not, you lucked out.

If the finish is hazy, wash with hot water and dawn to strip the polish and start over. Z6 is recommended, not required. It adds some depth to the look.

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
thanks for the reply....towels are in the wash now...tomorrow I'm going to look for white.....funny thing is the polish is coming off like a regular wax job...no streaks....no residue...the rest of the coats will be done by the book....is that OK????

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by deadlycobra03
OK....as usual I didn't really read the directions I downloaded from Zaino themselves...always after I'm halfway through...please if anybody can help.....

1- I am using a colored towel instead of white since the store didn't have them..they are good quality but not white OK or NOT?

2-I did everything right up until my 1st polish coat...after wiping of the first coat with my COLORED towel I applied the 2nd right after when I should have waited 6 hours..is this OK or NOT??
BTW I did let the coats dry overnight...

3- I did not use the Z-6 gloss enhancer between coats..is this OK or NOT?

I really would appreciate the feedback...I want so bad to have the shine you Zaino users have achieved...Nick...
1. They recommend a white, all cotton towel made in the USA because they're higher quality and contain no dyes or chemicals. I've occasionally used a colored towel for convenience sake with no ill effects. Use white if you can but you're not going to ruin your car if you use a colored towel. The better the towel the better the result.
2. I'm not quite understanding what you did here. You said you applied the 2nd coat right after the first but then you said you let the coats dry overnight. Assuming you applied coat #2 right after the 2nd coat, check to see if you see any smearing on the car finish. If the finish is not showing any smearing that means the polish has set properly and you're golden. If you see smearing, wash the car with Zaino car wash (or another quality car wash if you don't have Zaino) and that should remove any polish that hasn't set. Then wait the time they recommend and use the Spray Enhancer. Follow that with a third coat of Zaino Z-2. I would allow a couple of days before you do coat #3. From then on do a maximum of one coat a week. Once you get 5-7 coats you'll only need to do occasional maintenance. Also, it is good to do one coat of Spray Enhancer between Z-2 coats.
3. It's not "wrong" to not use the Spray Enhancer between coats 1 and 2. You're okay. Just use it between coats 2 and 3, 3 and 4, etc. But once you get to coat 5 or 6 you won't need to do this because you'll be using more Spray Enhancer than you will polish. I use the Spray Enhancer whenever I do a cruise or show, or when I just want my car to smell good. LOL!

By the way, did you add the ZFX Accelerator?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by MidLifeC
You haven't broken anything. Next time, chill out and read the directions!

White towels: no dye. I hoped you washed your colored towels and rinsed several times to get the dye out. AND no fabirc softner.

2nd coat: Is it hazy? If not, you lucked out.

If the finish is hazy, wash with hot water and dawn to strip the polish and start over. Z6 is recommended, not required. It adds some depth to the look.
MidLifeC beat me to it! He obviously is a Zaino freak like us. Good that he mentioned washing/rinsing your colored towels. Personally, I'd stick with white, though. Why go through the hassle of multiple washing and rinsing when you can just get the right towel. Do whatever you're most comfortable with. Heck, you can always use the colored ones on your wife's car. LOL!

Just so you know, I called my Zaino distributor and asked about the smearing/haze issue when you posted that you didn't wait much time between coats. He is the one who told me a car wash will remove any haze that remains because the polish hasn't set. But you know what, if it were me I'd just follow MidLifeC's advice and use the Dawn to remove all the polish and start over. And it's not like we're talking a lot of time. This stuff goes on and comes off SO easy. In the long run you'll have more peace of mind.
:)

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
I really appreciate all the feedback....like I said tonite I added coat #3....While I was relaxing with the dog and reading I found out all the mistakes I was making...but on the positive side I was polishing in the garage....tonite I pulled it out and noticed a nice shine to her....no smears or marks of any kind...can I continue by the book or do I really need to start over???? thanks again for all your help...Nick

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by deadlycobra03
I really appreciate all the feedback....like I said tonite I added coat #3....While I was relaxing with the dog and reading I found out all the mistakes I was making...but on the positive side I was polishing in the garage....tonite I pulled it out and noticed a nice shine to her....no smears or marks of any kind...can I continue by the book or do I really need to start over???? thanks again for all your help...Nick
If it looks good to you I'd lay down my polishing pads for the day and smile. Sounds like you came out okay!! You are a good student, grasshopper.
:lol1:

Please feel free to email or PM me if you ever have any questions. I'll try to help the best I can. If I don't have the answer I'll call my distributor. This guy must be made of Zaino. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread