Zippo FR500C on e-bay

03'Darin

Established Member
Doc,

Montour Falls is south of Watkins Glen. I am guessing this car is in Jim Seafuse's shop.

This is a great open track car........if you have a bottomless wallet.

:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Yes, it's Jim's car. He bought a ton of stuff from John when they cleaned the shop out.

FYI a GAC legal motor can be had for about $20k, but only by a GAC race team. Not that you can't get one through other sources. :-D

Also just FYI.... anyone that has some experience and a nice big pile of cash they want to burn up racing, Jim has two seats open for the rest of the season. Both of his cars were top ten in points last year. :banana:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Before I got out of his car I asked him why he did not bring his 2000R and he said he thought it was a Ford only event and when he found out it was not he decided to bring,( his words )"the faster and much better handling Zo6"

Roger:

I cannot and will not argue with that comment. It's an argument that would make me look like a fool if I tried to argue a Cobra R was a better and faster car. :read: Everybody knows it and THAT is precisely why I find passing Z06's so damned entertaining! :-D

Perhaps you know someone with a Zo6 that will let you do a test drive.

I've been a passenger in numerous Z06's on several occasions. A good track Bud has a C5Z06 and I've been in a couple of students C5Z's as well. One thing always comes to mind when I'm riding is it feels like a great car. If someone GAVE me one tonight, it would be out on my snowy lawn tomorrow with a for sale sign on it. I honestly have NO desire to own or drive one, seriously. (Besides, you can't imagine the shit I'd take for that!) Like I tell Brian all of the time, Z06's are for passing not driving! :poke:

I have found over the years it is a lot more fun to drive events where it is not brand specific.

I agree. You should come to an F-Body event sometime at Road America. With the exception of Bowling Green, KY it's the single largest gathering of Corvettes you will ever see. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a half a dozen Corvettes.

BTW on the Corvette forum, they always beat the Mustangs so you guys are not so different.

RD

That would be equivalent to us beating up on Cavaliers! ;-):poke: :dw:

There are a few of us Ford Blue bleeders in this forum and I'm one of them. It was no different 40 years ago when all of my buddies had Chebys because they were cheap and easy to hop up. I had a saying back then that somewhat still holds true today. "Anybody can make a cheby go fast, you have to know what the hell you're doing to make a Ford go fast!"

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SDW Racing

Established Member
Bruce,

But you're still a very gay Cheesehead.

Sleep on yer back at VIR, Butt-eeeee or you will have yer hands between two warm fluffy pillows!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JM:

I have some inflatable sheep I'll be sleeping with at VIR. I hear the Crankoids won't go near them for fear you've previously gotten your hands on them!??!?! :pepper::pepper::pepper:

SDW Racing

Established Member
JM:

I have some inflatable sheep I'll be sleeping with at VIR. I hear the Crankoids won't go near them for fear you've previously gotten your hands on them!??!?! :pepper::pepper::pepper:

I ain't afeared of no sheep...or any other animules, come to think of it!!!! All dem Crankoids got the same STDs as me!!!!!

P8190014-%28Small%29.jpg

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
FYI a GAC legal motor can be had for about $20k, but only by a GAC race team. Not that you can't get one through other sources. :-D

I don't doubt that racers with connections and credentials can purchase engines and spare parts at differing prices. But no serious race team buys an engine and simply installs it to go pro racing.

As an example, there is an article in the current issue of Vintage Motorsport:
http://www.vintagemotorsport.com/OnlineStore/group.asp?group_id=695&category_id=118

The article is "Hurley Haywood -The 1973 24 Hours of Daytona-" by John Heimann

Hurley, BTW, has enjoyed a bit of success:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley_Haywood

Hurley Haywood (born May 4, 1948 in Chicago) is an American race-car driver who won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1977 (Porsche 936), 1983 (Porsche 956) and 1994 (Dauer-Porsche 962) and is the most winning driver at the 24 Hours of Daytona with 5 (1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, and 1991). He also drove in the 1980 Indianapolis 500 finishing 18th.

Anyway he relates his story of the production car overall win against the prototypes and the Porsche factory team (lead by Roger Penske) at Daytona in 1973.

Hurley and Peter Gregg received their Porsche Carrera a couple of weeks before Daytona. Hurley said: "In typical Peter fashion, he took everything apart and checked everything and found the flywheel was loose". The prototypes fell out one by one leaving the two Porsche's in the overall lead. The Penske car soon fell out, due to a loose flywheel. The Brumos car won the race by 22 laps. A month later they won Sebring.

My point: A serious run in the Koni Challenge is more than buying a used car and a drivetrain. It takes a big hauler, a large inventory of spare parts, an enormous travel budget, experienced mechanics, testing sessions, and a few skilled drivers.

Also just FYI.... anyone that has some experience and a nice big pile of cash they want to burn up racing, Jim has two seats open for the rest of the season. Both of his cars were top ten in points last year.
I know it that it cost $25K to buy a seat for this year's Daytona 24. I guess it cost another couple of thousand to get there and get the licensing and paperwork done. If the car breaks before you get in the seat, you are still out $25K. If you get to race and wreck it, you have to pay to repair it.

I wonder what Jim would sell a seat for in the remaining Koni races? $100,000?

It's the old saying: "If you want to end up with a small fortune in racing, you should start with a large fortune". :-D

Of course, Hurley funds his racing by selling cars (Brumos Automotive). I guess the only guys that can fund a real race team sell cars for a living. :burnout:

SDW Racing

Established Member
Doc,

SO TRUE!!! A good friend of the Crankoids ran Trans Am for years and he told us....just to 'get to the track'...it costs him $20K per race. Regardless of qulaifying, it still cost him due to travel expenses, fuel & lodging for the crew, tires, diesel, etc. It cost $1 Mil aseason to compete (and this was a few years ago!)

Another friend tried the Craftsman Truck series and in one year (as a rookie, allowed to run only the short tracks).....spent almost $400K of his own money and cost him ihis marriage.

Anyone dreaming of becoming a big time racer, better be rich and single!

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree.

I think it all comes down to what many of us enjoy. It's not about spending a lot of money; it's all about an enjoyment of a passion.

I'd bet that no one has as much fun as this group. We take our low budget cars to events and get a little track time (and can always find someone to chase). Those pro racers may get all of the press, but I doubt they have as much fun as we enjoy.

Bruce enjoys passing Corvettes. I take great pleasure in passing anyone. :D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Or a person could marry a cash cow? :read: Or in your case JM, a cash sheep!! :lol1:

I think it all comes down to what many of us enjoy. It's not about spending a lot of money; it's all about an enjoyment of a passion.

All I have to do is burn some fuel, I don't care what it's in! Even this works:

Copy%20of%20fuelinginMI2sm.jpg

I'd bet that no one has as much fun as this group. We take our low budget cars to events and get a little track time (and can always find someone to chase). Those pro racers may get all of the press, but I doubt they have as much fun as we enjoy.

I agree. For the professional racers, it's a job. And they are under pressure to perform. And I know for fact that there are really not that many people that truly enjoy their job. Tollerate is a better term. We race because we enjoy it and like to waste our money! :dw::-D

Bruce enjoys passing Corvettes. I take great pleasure in passing anyone. :D

Right you are Doc. :thumbsup: But passing a Cobra just doesn't do much for me. They're family! :rockon:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

03'Darin

Established Member
I don't doubt that racers with connections and credentials can purchase engines and spare parts at differing prices. But no serious race team buys an engine and simply installs it to go pro racing.

Actually if your GAC racing an FR500C you do. They run a sealed engine program so you buy the motor built, dyno'd and ready to race.

My point: A serious run in the Koni Challenge is more than buying a used car and a drivetrain. It takes a big hauler, a large inventory of spare parts, an enormous travel budget, experienced mechanics, testing sessions, and a few skilled drivers.

Very true, except for the experienced mechanics. :p I'm not experienced. :-D

I know it that it cost $25K to buy a seat for this year's Daytona 24. I guess it cost another couple of thousand to get there and get the licensing and paperwork done. If the car breaks before you get in the seat, you are still out $25K. If you get to race and wreck it, you have to pay to repair it.

I wonder what Jim would sell a seat for in the remaining Koni races? $100,000?

It's the old saying: "If you want to end up with a small fortune in racing, you should start with a large fortune". :-D

Of course, Hurley funds his racing by selling cars (Brumos Automotive). I guess the only guys that can fund a real race team sell cars for a living. :burnout:

Your probably pretty close with that figure, but I don't know for sure. Oh yeah, don't forget about the damage money too.....

And it takes more than selling cars to afford to run the GAC series...... or I'd be on the other side of the wall. :poke::-D

Fourcam330

Established Member
You can build a 4v motor that makes just as much or more power than the $29,500 POS for half the price.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually if your GAC racing an FR500C you do. They run a sealed engine program so you buy the motor built, dyno'd and ready to race.
I am sure that no professional team would ever bend a rule. :dw:

I don't personally know anyone that races in Koni, but I have a slight doubt that no one that spends that kind of money is just going to bolt in a spec engine and travel across the country to race it. I doubt that the FR500C's competitors always race to the pure "published" rule package.

I do know a few people that race the sealed engines in Legends' racing. The first thing they do is break open the engine and check it. They learned a long time ago how to reseal the spec engines so tech would never find it.

And it takes more than selling cars to afford to run the GAC series......
You've been hanging out with Bruce and other racers. :beer: No one admits nothing.

I just wonder how long it will be before 00R's will install a FR500C engine (and swear its stock)? :lol:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member

I don't personally know anyone that races in Koni, but I have a slight doubt that no one that spends that kind of money is just going to bolt in a spec engine and travel across the country to race it. I doubt that the FR500C's competitors always race to the pure "published" rule package.

I am working part time on a team that runs that particular engine for Koni challenge. It does come sealed and no we don't open it to "check" anything. It comes in a crate, we change it over to an engine stand and the motor goes in the car when needed.

The Mustangs have to run a restrictor plate as it is so why would we waste time and money on engine development when it would only cause a weight penalty or other restriction at the next race?

The prices I have overheard (I fully admit not necessarily 100% accurate) are much less than the $29,500 currently advertised in FRPP. However I don't think the prices I heard thrown around include everythingadvertised with the FRPP package that the $29,500 includes. For example our engines don't come with headers, ECU or wiring harnesses, etc. The headers I believe are around $4000 alone but don't quote me on that either. Even with it all added up I don't think we come near that price though (however once again I don't see the books so I could be wrong).

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member

I do know a few people that race the sealed engines in Legends' racing. The first thing they do is break open the engine and check it. They learned a long time ago how to reseal the spec engines so tech would never find it.

You've been hanging out with Bruce and other racers. :beer: No one admits nothing.

I just wonder how long it will be before 00R's will install a FR500C engine (and swear its stock)? :lol:

I understand your point and can't speak for all the teams, but I can tell you that every engine I have seen used on the JBS team has never been opened by us. We don't even open the motor after it breaks as Ford doesn't want us inside of them. Not that you can't get around this but GA will have a mobile dyno show up at certain races and dyno random cars to verify #'s.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Tom,

Are you sure you are not thinking of the exchange pricing and not retail?

Could be:shrug: Like I said most of the numbers I hear are just between other people talking and I don't get the full story. I'm not nosey enough to ask questions about stuff like that which doesn't really concern my position with the team.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread