Votes: 28 10.2%
  • ZR1

Votes: 246 89.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CLOCKWO12K

Custom User Title
Established Member
Are you actually comparing a camaro and a corvette, i mean really...?
i would take a bone stock c5 (non z) over a ZL1 if it weren't for the rarity.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
If I was a car collector the ZL1 hands down. But as a car enthusiast that wants to drive the cars he purchases the ZR1 by far.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
the Zr-1 isnt a supercar to alot of ppl, it is in my eyes, but the ZL-1 def is not even close to being a supercar in any form, put that car on a twisty road course and a stock evo would rip it apart, the zr-1 however, not so much

who doesn't think it's a supercar? there is a picture of it in the dictionary next to the word supercar......

mustangbee

Established Member
ORLY?

600 HP
ZO6 Brakes/Wheels/Tires
modded suspension

vs stock evo?

yeah, pretty much. go look at some of the lap times the evo has put up compared to heavier, high hp cars. it does well against real supercars in alot of cases. a modded suspension and zo6 brakes and tires dont mean alot back in 2002 compared to a newer evo. i have no doubt an evo would kill the ZL-1 on a short, twisty track. dont even think about the UK 400hp stock evo, even tho its 200hp less it would absolutely rape that car, it beats lambos and ferraris stock on the twisties

Last edited:

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
Can you not read... The company calls it a supercar, And for the people saying why i created this.. Well i wanted to hear thoughts. I love the ZR1, But they do have other choices out there ( la ZL1 ) The rarity alone is amazing :bored::beer:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA You called a Camaro a supercar, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blueovalfan

Established Member
I would take the ZL1, there were only a couple made. Plus I'am not old enough to own a vette, I think GM makes sure you're old enough to be on social security before you can order a vette.

WHITE99SNAKE

Established Member
Just Friendly discussion

yeah, pretty much. go look at some of the lap times the evo has put up compared to heavier, high hp cars. it does well against real supercars in alot of cases. a modded suspension and zo6 brakes and tires dont mean alot back in 2002 compared to a newer evo. i have no doubt an evo would kill the ZL-1 on a short, twisty track. dont even think about the UK 400hp stock evo, even tho its 200hp less it would absolutely rape that car, it beats lambos and ferraris stock on the twisties

I am just wanting to discuss this on a friendly level.

02 Camaro SS weight = 3306 lbs (approx for hatchback)
08 Evo (cut and paste from automobilemag.com) Weights: curb weight (lbs) 3,517

A stock Evo would have absolutely no advantage over a 600 hp modified lighter Carmaro. Even the 400 hp evo wouldn't "rape" it. I don't even see how it could beat it? A 600 HP pushrod motor is going to have a ridiculous amount of power at ANY rpm.

I just don't see how a heavier car with half the power and smaller tires is going to win any race? Yeah, the Mullet mobile has a solid rear axle....

I just don't see it happening. Stock for Stock I would think that a US model 08 evo would have a terrible time trying to run away from an old LS1 Camaro on the track. Forget about a purpose built 600 HP beast.

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
LoL @ this thread....I love the Catfish comments =D I like my catfish...

If I was buying the car for financial reasons I would buy the ZL1.

I like to enjoy my cars so I'd probably buy a ZR-1

mustangbee

Established Member

A stock Evo would have absolutely no advantage over a 600 hp modified lighter Carmaro. Even the 400 hp evo wouldn't "rape" it. I don't even see how it could beat it? A 600 HP pushrod motor is going to have a ridiculous amount of power at ANY rpm.

I just don't see how a heavier car with half the power and smaller tires is going to win any race? Yeah, the Mullet mobile has a solid rear axle....

I just don't see it happening. Stock for Stock I would think that a US model 08 evo would have a terrible time trying to run away from an old LS1 Camaro on the track. Forget about a purpose built 600 HP beast.

i would almost say a stock LS1 would do as good as the ZL-1 on a short twisty track, thats almost too much power with that setup for this kind of track. the evo is AWD man, smaller tires arent a problem btw. a shorter track means lower speeds, this means hella wheelspin from the high hp catfish, whereas the evo hooks and pulls. the Zl-1 advantage becomes a disadvantage on this type of track. the video below is a 570hp lambo that actually built to handle vs. the evo fq-400. camaros are not cars that can handle, even with the suspension mods their not suited for this type track

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txnsy1e08zw"]YouTube - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9 MR FQ-400 vs Lamborghini Murcielago[/ame]

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

Well, there's other factors to consider. For example, a real short technical track where GRIP is the determining factor. The new EVOs, even though heavier, pulls over 1.00Gs on a skidpad, has aggressive short gearing and a super fast shifting sequential transmission. A tight track with tons of sweeping curves and sharp turns is where it will shine.

This is the reason why the C6 Z06 went down to a GT-R on a super tight section of buttonwillow.

C6Z = 3,120lbs @ 505hp
GT-R= 3,900lbs @ 480hp

i would almost say a stock LS1 would do as good as the ZL-1 on a short twisty track

I wouldn't go that far. The ZL-1 has more than just a couple tweeks done to it. A full coilover multi-link suspension will perform leaps and bounds better than a stock Camaro, especially with the right tire.

In-case you aren't aware, fbodies can handle really well if they're setup correctly. Just look at some of the results in the SCCA T1 class races. ;-)

Cajun Power

Established Member
That is like going out on a deep sea fishing charter and thinking... "Should I try for catfish or Marlin?"

Guess which one the catfish is?!?!?!

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Zr1 = Supercar, but why can't the Shelby GT500 with 500 horse come within 6 lengths of a C6 Z06 with 500 horse let alone a Zr1. It's sad for $50k GT500's only run low 12's at best with 500 horse, hell I run high 12's with 330 flywheel horse power.

Users who are viewing this thread