Votes: 28 10.2%
  • ZR1

Votes: 246 89.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
Zr1 = Supercar, but why can't the Shelby GT500 with 500 horse come within 6 lengths of a C6 Z06 with 500 horse let alone a Zr1. It's sad for $50k GT500's only run low 12's at best with 500 horse, hell I run high 12's with 330 flywheel horse power.

Weight and suspension, pretty much seals the deal for Z06 and ZR1.

GT500 is an awesome car but is overweight and the suspension setup is nothing short of prehistoric. To even come close to competing, SVT will have to make MASSIVE changes, which won't happen.

I don't think competing with the Vette's is a priority of theirs though. They just want to make a good mustang, which they have accomplished.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
I wouldnt buy either one to be perfectly honest. I would prefer buying a ZO6 over a ZR1 and modding it to be a badass NA street car. GM has said teh ZR1's wont have much to offer in the aftermarket. They have warned tuners not to try and take the boost too high.

I voted for the ZL1 though. Call it a catfish if you want, its nicer and a whole hell of alot more exclusive than any car the Camaro haters have.........

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Wow, alot of folks don't know very much about the ZL-1, first and foremost a ZL-1 WILL out handle a stock C5 from the same year model that comes straight from the source. The ZL-1 was equipped with the 1 LE handling components as well as a custom adjustable set of Penske Shocks, improved stability/roll bars/ as well as some other small suspensions goodies here and there. Will it run off from an EVO in the corners? Hell it might, they handle extremely nimbly for a Camaro, and are surprisingly well balanced to drive. On an average they make around 505-520HP to the rear wheels (phase III).

Collectibility wise the 69 ZL-1's "May" continue to rise in value if the market allows for it. They were a project of GMMG's and they had the blessing all the way from the top at GM so you can rest assured that they will not be forgotten.

What would I pick, well someone above mentioned what I would do when they said they would drive the ZR-1 and show the ZL-1. Regardless of what you all think about the ZR-1 now it will decrease in value. That is not to say that it won't come back up in time, but hell you might have to wait for 40 years to be back at purchase price or equivalent with inflation.

Lastly the sneers about the "Supercar" thing show a level of ignorance to the yesteryear of our muscle heritage. The COPO cars that were produced back in the late 60's were all included into the Supercar Category and that included the original 69 1969 ZL-1's and also all of the COPO Camaro's, Nova's, Chevelle's, and even the Yenko's, Nickey's, Dana's, and so forth. Hell Yenko sYc means Yenko Super Car.

If you wanna daily drive the car pick the ZR-1, the ZL-1 is highly cantankerous and is prone to needing tuning and kind words much like a woman.

As far as the sneers about the Supercar designation that shows great deal of ignorance in your knowledge of our brothers from the Yesteryear. Back in the late 60's All COPO's were considered "Supercars". This list included Camaro, Novas, and Chevelle's alike as well as Dana's, Nickey's, Yenko's and so forth. Hell sYc that you see on the head rest of the Yenko litteraly means Yenko Super Car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread