ZL1 vs 2013 shelby

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Daniel said:
You boys being scared of "little" 285s is just comical. They can't put much wider in the front then they already have so a even wider rear will only cause the handling to become worse in the turns.

Nonsense. There is room for more up front as well as out back. Balance can be altered with sway bars and springs, as well as infinite TC adjustments. Ford had the opportunity to make minor changes to the floorpan stampings as well as any number of other changes necessary to allow simple contact patch upgrades. They elected not to.

Weak sauce on an otherwise fantastic car.

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
I think the author of the Jalopnik article is definitely a Chevy guy. lol

From the article you linked:
"You know how the Chevy Camaro ZL1 was supposed to be sitting atop the Muscle Car War heap? Yeah, not so much anymore. Meet the 650 HP 2013 Shelby GT500 — it's gonna try to make the ZL1 its little bitch..."

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hn6fFTxeo"]"Do or Do not. There is no try." Yoda teaches Luke Skywalker the force - YouTube[/nomedia]

"No. Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Nonsense. There is room for more up front as well as out back. Balance can be altered with sway bars and springs, as well as infinite TC adjustments. Ford had the opportunity to make minor changes to the floorpan stampings as well as any number of other changes necessary to allow simple contact patch upgrades. They elected not to.

Weak sauce on an otherwise fantastic car.

The thing to remember on sway bars to adjust grip is the thicker the bar the less the grip. So by adding monster rear tires to a platform that already is push happy in order to "balance" the car out you would have to run a thicker rear bar hence causing less traction in the rear to try to regain the neutral feel. Stiffer springs means poorer ride quality most of the time. 275s is about as wide as you can go on the front right now. I like the idea of wider meats all the way around but it's not a deal breaker for me and I don't get hung up on the size like others.

TOB I'm a little surprised at you because they gave you everything else you wanted and even one upped it on some things like the driveshaft but yet your hung up on width of tires. Lol they gave a better tire to the base Gt500 now so that should count for something right?? Lol

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Read the last line from my post. There is mention of a "fantastic car" there.

The thing to remember on sway bars to adjust grip is the thicker the bar the less the grip. So by adding monster rear tires to a platform that already is push happy in order to "balance" the car out you would have to run a thicker rear bar hence causing less traction in the rear to try to regain the neutral feel. Stiffer springs means poorer ride quality most of the time.

You're forgetting the fact that on this car, Ford elected to start using electronically adjustable dampers. So forget about the "ride quality" comments. Having the ability to soften/stiffen things up when necessary changes things quite a bit here.

As to a thicker bar reducing traction...

During the four lapping sessions, Gene (Martindale) had the team increase the rear sway bar diameter and change out the jounce limiters to those of different heights.

The previous-generation GT500 suspension is a compromise of these two settings in both spring rates and damper stiffness. The result is a somewhat playful suspension, but one that’s more compliant on a track than it really should be. These new adjustable dampers allow, at least felt from the passenger seat, a very perceptible change in the suspension. With the click of a button it goes from acceptably sporting to ultra-stiff, so stiff that over a particularly bumpy road outside the track my vision blurred.
2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Specs and First Ride- 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Release ? RoadandTrack.com

Trust me, this car could have used more wheel/tire out back. I'm now wondering how much rolling resistance/gas guzzler status played into the decision to keep the skinnies out back.

svtsupersnake

Banned
its about time ford though joined the rest of the world and put a little tech in this car and had electronic shocks and struts. Though for the rest of their stuff they r still being too cheap but i'll just drive the car when it comes and see how it actually feels. i like how the gt has now basically the same front as the gt500 if the gt500 is too expensive maybe i'll just get a gt wit fog lights not those stupid grill lights and put a tvs supercharger on it. Also this may be a dumb question but i never heard a tvs supercharger it still makes the same squeal as the eaton on the 2012 gt500 right?

LittleLady

Established Member
Unbelievable migraine coming up for Camaro ZL1.In the long run I wouldn't waste my money on the Camaro,just go full blown and purchase the Corvette,as I said in my other post I'll wait till 2013 and purchase a 2013 Shelby GT500 SVTPP,this time I'm going to special order mine with automatic trans,a extra $2500 out of my pocket book,so sick and tried of shifting in traffic,on this small rock in the middle of nowhere it's all traffic.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
does anyone know how much 2012 shelby was when it first came out? cuz like all dealers around me sell at msrp. I never heard of dealers selling like 10 to 20k over msrp till i got on this forum. I am guessing the 2013 cant be much more than the current 2012

I am going to guess $65K fully loaded. I don't know why but that number sounds right considering what you get. I do know my dealer will not charge me a markup so that is good........Steve

jonesd

Established Member
Unbelievable migraine coming up for Camaro ZL1.In the long run I wouldn't waste my money on the Camaro,just go full blown and purchase the Corvette,as I said in my other post I'll wait till 2013 and purchase a 2013 Shelby GT500 SVTPP,this time I'm going to special order mine with automatic trans,a extra $2500 out of my pocket book,so sick and tried of shifting in traffic,on this small rock in the middle of nowhere it's all traffic.

I'm confused, 2013 with an auto for 2500? Where did you see that?

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Trust me, this car could have used more wheel/tire out back. I'm now wondering how much rolling resistance/gas guzzler status played into the decision to keep the skinnies out back.

I think thats where most of it came from on the decision to stick with changing around gear ratios to make it more useable instead of getting crazy with tires. Killing the gas guzzler tax and overwhelming power to the tires bird with one stone.

Last edited:

svtsupersnake

Banned
so there was a press release in response to ford that the zl1 will be 55k and goes 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds and quarter mile time of 12 seconds. i doubt then the new shelby will be over 65k. if they do that they will once again lose to camero in sales and they wasted their time making this car.

LittleLady

Established Member
I have to order in June of 2012 from my dealership HonFord,you can get a special ordered automatic installed..it's a beefed up auto that Ford put into the 2006 Hertz Rental Car..the 2006 GT500 Shelby they rented without the blower..

jonesd

Established Member
so there was a press release in response to ford that the zl1 will be 55k and goes 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds and quarter mile time of 12 seconds. i doubt then the new shelby will be over 65k. if they do that they will once again lose to camero in sales and they wasted their time making this car.

The 2011-2012 Shelby can beat those times with just stickier tires in the rear... 500 bucks in rear tires and your otherwise stock shelby will run mid 11's all day. At least mine does :beer:

svtsupersnake

Banned
welllll the whole point of these cars now is to be able to adjust them to daily driving and track and they keep changing stuff to make modding this cars less and less neccessary i mean i am picking these cars for daily driving so having to change tires all the time is annoying. but i will be realll pissed if ford makes the shelby over like 60k for the coupe. i cant see it being justified as good business cuz the lose in sales mostly in part cuz there was like a 15k difference between the best camero and the best mustang

jonesd

Established Member
welllll the whole point of these cars now is to be able to adjust them to daily driving and track and they keep changing stuff to make modding this cars less and less neccessary i mean i am picking these cars for daily driving so having to change tires all the time is annoying. but i will be realll pissed if ford makes the shelby over like 60k for the coupe. i cant see it being justified as good business cuz the lose in sales mostly in part cuz there was like a 15k difference between the best camero and the best mustang

even if the car is 55k, the dealer markup will be 5-7k over msrp until next december i would imagine... Look how many people paid 15k over sticker for the New boss 302, same will happen with this new 650 horsepower beast. When people see top speed over 200mph, its a marketing ploy and a brilliant one at that. Ive already contacted 3 of the big houston dealerships today and they all said 10k over sticker is where they will start. Im sure if you look at some backwoods dealerships in a po dunk town, you can probably find a decent deal but i would NOT expect to really find a great deal in the first 6 months of the car release.

You think thats bad? Have you ever tried to go buy the new camaro SS the first 6 months they were out? 5k over sticker was normal... the new ZL1 is Limited and dealers know that, good luck getting one under 10k sticker price the first 6 months also unless you have a hookup...

svtsupersnake

Banned
hmmm thats weird i mean i went to a ford dealership and they tried to sell me a gt500 at like 65k and i was like go to hell let me talk to ur manager and they said they would then sell at 55k i dont see how say 2 or 3 months after the hype is gone that these cars sell for that high ppl wont buy them the crazy fanatics will but those r the ppl who will buy them within the first couple months after that normal ppl wont pay that high for an american car like these ones. and they may "claim" to sell at 10k above sticker but it will be very easy to negotiate around that. both these companies are in trouble they have to sell these cars thats why the r doing such crazy things to them to attract us to buying them

svtsupersnake

Banned
as far as these cars my goal would be to find one that some rich person bought and hated it and then returned it. so i wouldnt have to pay that stupid mark up cuz in my opinion msrp is still too high.

Users who are viewing this thread