ZR1 reportedly ran 7:12 around the 'Ring

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I mean.. That will help a little, but those shocks on that car aren't for the masses.

true statement. Those spool valve shocks are hard mounted to the body, he’s in for a rude awakening if he thinks tires are going to make things much better. Those dampeners are the biggest differentiator between the regular ZL1 and ZL1 1LE. Why on earth did he not just pick the regular ZL1, lol....

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
true statement. Those spool valve shocks are hard mounted to the body, he’s in for a rude awakening if he thinks tires are going to make things much better. Those dampeners are the biggest differentiator between the regular ZL1 and ZL1 1LE. Why on earth did he not just pick the regular ZL1, lol....

Lol yeah I think a lot of people did that with the z28 too. Hella road course car, a little overly aggressive for the street.

I hope Ford doesn't make that mistake for the GT500R or whatever they are building to compete.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Lol yeah I think a lot of people did that with the z28 too. Hella road course car, a little overly aggressive for the street.

I hope Ford doesn't make that mistake for the GT500R or whatever they are building to compete.

Dealer nearby still had a Z28 on their lot not too long ago, think they had it marked down to 50K or just a hair under.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Dealer nearby still had a Z28 on their lot not too long ago, think they had it marked down to 50K or just a hair under.
It's a lot of car at that price. I heavily considered one but my first order of business would be to sell the tires and brakes but I feel that would ruin a good chunk of what made the car special.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It's a lot of car at that price. I heavily considered one but my first order of business would be to sell the tires and brakes but I feel that would ruin a good chunk of what made the car special.

Definitely a damn good deal at that price for some lucky sob. I believe the Z28 had spool valve dampeners too, not a 100% sure though.

blk02edge

Established Member
Haha yea thats what I meant though, dude bought the track version but has no idea about how it works. We also had a dude bring one to the track and he was slower than me in the ST on my out lap

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

That would be a lot of car at $40K. At $50K, you could get a GT350 with amenities and still drive and perform better. I loved the Z/28 when it came out, but it looks very dated now.

800HP 720S on track

1200HP Porsche 919 Evo

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
800HP 720S on track

1200HP Porsche 919 Evo

Reading all the bickering about track times, diminishing returns and horsepower of GT race classes.....

Does anyone realize that most of the cars in the production based classes(GT, GT3...etc) run those horsepower levels because they are required to be equally matched?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Reading all the bickering about track times, diminishing returns and horsepower of GT race classes.....

Does anyone realize that most of the cars in the production based classes(GT, GT3...etc) run those horsepower levels because they are required to be equally matched?

Yes. I was going to mention BoP, but those conversations always turn into a nightmare for some reason. BoP is what it is. I don't see why people have to fight about it so much.

blk02edge

Established Member

Yes, but why not BOP at 700-800? You ever ride in a cup car? The power is insane as is. Fact is there is a correct horsepower for the chassis given which is what I think Premi knows. But too much power can be detrimental in many ways.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yes, but why not BOP at 700-800? You ever ride in a cup car? The power is insane as is. Fact is there is a correct horsepower for the chassis given which is what I think Premi knows. But too much power can be detrimental in many ways.

I got to drive a Avenger bodied (for IROC) cup car for nearly week out in Riverside/California speedway...JESUS, ****ing surreal, still can't believe I got to do it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

It's not the chassis that limits BoP HP, it's driver safety. They keep the cars slower to increase the driver's chances of surviving a crash. Yes, there is a point of diminished returns. Seven hundred HP isn't it. Making the cars more powerful means it needs a stronger crash structure, probably more aero, different tire compounds, etc., mainly for the sake of keeping drivers alive and on the track.

Remember when NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Cars used to run an actual 1/4 mile? The cars were becoming faster and faster, but also more dangerous. There was a fatal crash that spooked all the drivers, and they whined to NHRA to do something. NHRA reduced the length from 1320' to 1000'. Remember the Spec B rally class? Those cars made so much power and speed that the whole class was deemed too dangerous, and WRC killed it off.

So power limitations have much less to do with car limits and much more to do with driver, and in some cases, spectator safety.

blk02edge

Established Member
It's not the chassis that limits BoP HP, it's driver safety. They keep the cars slower to increase the driver's chances of surviving a crash. Yes, there is a point of diminished returns. Seven hundred HP isn't it. Making the cars more powerful means it needs a stronger crash structure, probably more aero, different tire compounds, etc., mainly for the sake of keeping drivers alive and on the track.

Remember when NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Cars used to run an actual 1/4 mile? The cars were becoming faster and faster, but also more dangerous. There was a fatal crash that spooked all the drivers, and they whined to NHRA to do something. NHRA reduced the length from 1320' to 1000'. Remember the Spec B rally class? Those cars made so much power and speed that the whole class was deemed too dangerous, and WRC killed it off.

So power limitations have much less to do with car limits and much more to do with driver, and in some cases, spectator safety.
Saying 700hp isnt, is a blanket statement. In a full aero car like indy or P class with real racing brakes correct, its not too much, in a miata or a basic corvette... Different story. If you plan to use 700+HP on track in a street car (how this discussion started.) You will benefit nothing as coming into the first corner off a long straight your brakes will die, braking zone becomes massive. Etc while a proper Hp'd car will not have those issues and can brake later which 99/100 times the slower car catches up on corner entry. I have done a shit ton of track days in a stock power focus ST and im always on track with everything from z06 vettes to GT3 CUP cars. Ive literally seen the outcome, not speculating

If you go play on forza you will be right, if you go play in real life you will not be right lol.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'll be surprised if the GT2 RS puts the GT3 RS to shame on most tracks. It will probably be a little quicker but I doubt it's by much.

The ring is one of only a couple places where it can use the extra power and take advantage of it. My local track you probably wouldn't run more than a second faster, which for 200hp, isn't enough. It really is diminishing returns.

You'd make up more time with a compound change.

blk02edge

Established Member
I'll be surprised if the GT2 RS puts the GT3 RS to shame on most tracks. It will probably be a little quicker but I doubt it's by much.

The ring is one of only a couple places where it can use the extra power and take advantage of it. My local track you probably wouldn't run more than a second faster, which for 200hp, isn't enough. It really is diminishing returns.

You'd make up more time with a compound change.
Yea the GT3RS is really, really hard to beat. Id go as far as saying it is by far the most reliable and they are currently as fast as the 720S at our track. I wish I could afford one. Couple members are expecting delivery of the GT2RS soon so that will definitely be interesting how they do compared the the GT3. Same with the ZR1.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Super funny.

Yup, a perfect condition private test day in which GM knew the GT3 RS had been sub 7, they were surely out just toodling around. And a total coincidence that after the car goes way slower (repeatedly) than everyone expects, all the sudden there's a new and improved "yeah, well we don't even, like, really care about the Ring, man...." posture from the company that has marketed 10+ cars with their Ring times as holy grail metric for the last decade. I mean, it's not like they intro'd the Z06 at NAIAS a couple years ago with a giant Ring map plastered on the wall or anything. Good thing they have guys like Jack Baruth to literally write what they tell them.

Don't worry, they will be back with a very different car and a very different time. I presume they were just getting power pulled.

3RS is a festival of tits. 2RS is cool but 3RS all day for me.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
MT was running the GT2RS in British Racing Green and tire warmers against the 720S at Big Willow the last few days. Can’t wait to see what happened. I think they had a 991.2 GT3RS there too.

Users who are viewing this thread