What would a Cobra-R owner pay for a new 5.0L Boss?

What would a Cobra-R owner pay for a new 5.0L Boss?

• $35K-$37.9K

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • $38K-$40K

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • $40.1K or above

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • My wife would divorce me and run off with Bruce if I bought another Mustang

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I want a 2011 Shelby GT500

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I want a new C6 Z06. ;)

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a serious thread (and it should stay on topic until the second page). :-D It's also a continuation of the Boss thread. Here:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobra-rs-25/665847-new-performance-mustang-will-boss-302-a.html

Dean sited a link to the Z28 message board that seems to think that the new Boss will be lighter in weight. (Thanks, Dean). It will certainly have more Hp and some bigger brakes than the Mustang GT.

What would you pay for the 2012 Mustang Boss 302? We must assume that it will out-perform all Cobra R's on a road racing circuit (stock vs. stock).

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is a link to what may be offered (probably not, but whatever ;-) ). :shrug:
2012 Ford Boss Mustang Specifications

Here is some tech on the 2011 Mustang GT (the best MGT ever introduced?):
2011Mustangf.gif

My dealer tells me that I can buy one close to the invoice price?
2011Mustangg.gif

Here is the 2011 GT500 (I don't have an invoice price).
2011Mustangh.gif

The Shelby GT500 is $20K over the Mustang GT (MSRP).

My checkbook says that I will pay $40K for the Boss, and I do not know what I am buying. :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
We must assume that it will out-perform all Cobra R's on a road racing circuit (stock vs. stock).

No Doubt!!!! It's NINETEEN, SEVENTEEN and TWELVE years more technologically advanced than the previous R Models!!! If it doesn't spank them all like redheaded stepchildren Ford is doing something seriously wrong! :dw:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Basic mustang gt(no leather/nav) tuned to 450 crank horsepower 2-3k
Lightweight materials: I dont see why 3400/3450lbs would be unreasonable 3-5k.
Exclusitivity 1 to 1.5k units 1k.

3+5+1 ~ 9k over the gt that is 33k. 42k for a spec road race tuned mustang gt would be sweet!!!:pepper:

SDW Racing

Established Member
hmmmm....let's see...with a local dealer wanting a $10K ADM on the 2011 GT500, I can only guess the same will occur with the Boss...if not worse.

This means that I can afford either machine somewhere north of 2013.

As much as I love them......I hope the dealers choke on these cars.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey--Jack!!! Watch those comments! :D

No Doubt!!!! It's NINETEEN, SEVENTEEN and TWELVE years more technologically advanced than the previous R Models!!!
:-D I was just doing some IS (internet speculation).

Tom owns an original 95R IMSA car, and Bruce owns a highly modified 00R (I have No Doubt that Bruce doesn't even remember his car as stock, since he started modifying it about three minutes after buying it :D ).

Basic mustang gt(no leather/nav) tuned to 450 crank horsepower 2-3k
Lightweight materials: I dont see why 3400/3450lbs would be unreasonable 3-5k.
Exclusivity 1 to 1.5k units 1k.

3+5+1 ~ 9k over the gt that is 33k. 42k for a spec road race tuned mustang gt would be sweet!!!:pepper:
I agree with everything except the exclusivity. Ford should not restrict the units produced. It should be in the manner of the original Boss 302/351 cars: They should make as many as they can sell.

...with a local dealer wanting a $10K ADM on the 2011 GT500, I can only guess the same will occur with the Boss...if not worse.
I doubt this ADM will hold up for long. IMHO (of course), it will be cheaper this winter. My local dealer sends me an email every week. They call me once a month (just to be sure that I am happy with my new purchase). I immediately change the subject of the call. :lol:

They have a large selection of 412 Hp 3:73 2011 Mustang GTs. This car at ~$30K is intriguing to me (and more than half as much as the GT500 with ADM). I want a Boss unless and until that I see it is possibly over-priced.

Team Ford's inventory:
Atlanta Ford Mustang dealer - Team Auto Dealerships

Will the new Boss have a 5.0L engine or the new Shelby aluminum block 5.4L engine? Will it weigh 3326 pounds (the same as the 95R)? Can someone finally out run Bruce at Road America? :eek:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
You all realize that a stock 2011 GT outperforms any of the Cobra R's, right? Equip the GT with the brembo pack and it slaughters them.......

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
You all realize that a stock 2011 GT outperforms any of the Cobra R's, right? Equip the GT with the brembo pack and it slaughters them.......

Bruce said it best....

No Doubt!!!! It's NINETEEN, SEVENTEEN and TWELVE years more technologically advanced than the previous R Models!!! If it doesn't spank them all like redheaded stepchildren Ford is doing something seriously wrong! :dw:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

I was wondering about that. The 1995 R is 3325 pounds, and the GT is 3612 pounds? The 95 R has 365 lb/ft of torque, and the GT has 390 lb-ft of torque. The 95R has better cooling systems, and stiffer springs.

I think it may be closer to a toss-up in a 20 lap wide-open dash at Road Atlanta. I think the R will out run the GT out of the corners. The speed coming out of the corners is critical to good speeds on the straights.

I'll volunteer to test 'em. :-D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I was wondering about that. The 1995 R is 3325 pounds, and the GT is 3612 pounds? The 95 R has 365 lb/ft of torque, and the GT has 390 lb-ft of torque. The 95R has better cooling systems, and stiffer springs.

I think it may be closer to a toss-up in a 20 lap wide-open dash at Road Atlanta. I think the R will out run the GT out of the corners. The speed coming out of the corners is critical to good speeds on the straights.

I'll volunteer to test 'em. :-D

I doubt it Doc.

Unless the 95R has gotten a torque arm, it's quadra-bind is going to keep it's cornering speeds down.
It will take a modded previous year Mustang to hang with this new 2011 Monster.
Fords has been listening, it doesn't over heat like 03/04 Cobras and some GT500s and it's fast, and relatively light.
I wonder how it will do against the Cayman S cars that have been embarrassing me?

I should probably just build a 912 with a 3.6 and just give up on the Fords all together.:eek::bash::poke::-D

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I think the R will out run the GT out of the corners. The speed coming out of the corners is critical to good speeds on the straights.

Doc, the S197 corners way better than the SN95 chassis. I would suggest to you that the '11 entry speeds are better and that it gets better traction than the R on exit.

My S197 frame of reference is the FR500C suspension package which is not street, but the wheel base advantage alone really hurts the R

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
$40k would be a good starting point, but out here ALL Mustangs have dealer markup--really stinks. On GT500's it's $25k !!!!!! New 5.0's are $5k.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless the 95R has gotten a torque arm, it's quadra-bind is going to keep it's cornering speeds down.
My experience with quadra bind is that it is a problem on a bumpy track. The rear suspension binds and then the bump causes both wheels to react. I didn't really find it as a big problem on a smooth surface such as Road Atlanta.

OK, it has been over 10 years since I had a Cobra on a race track. A lot of things have changed since then (speeds are higher, tires have more grip....).

94CobraSeb.jpg

I should probably just build a 912 with a 3.6 and just give up on the Fords all together.
Quadra-bind will rarely back you into a fixed object. :-D A 2000 pound Porsche with a 3.6L has snap-oversteer. :eek: If you lift in a fast turn, the car can violently snap around on you. :dw:

GaryMexico2.jpg

Doc, the S197 corners way better than the SN95 chassis. I would suggest to you that the '11 entry speeds are better and that it gets better traction than the R on exit.

My S197 frame of reference is the FR500C suspension package which is not street, but the wheel base advantage alone really hurts the R
Rob,
You can't compare a race car with the FR500C race suspension with a car that is stock. That ain't fair. :-D

My only complaint about my 2010 Mustang (I haven't driven the 2011 Mustang with it's better brakes and 97 more Hp) is the weight. That weight makes it very comfortable as a DD, but it feels heavy in spirited driving. It wants to understeer and is hard to rotate.

It's NINETEEN, SEVENTEEN and TWELVE years more technologically advanced than the previous R Models!!!
:-D My race car is 45 years old, so I may be stuck in the past. ;-)

I still would never sell my 95R. It's just 15 years young. :beer:

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
$40k would be a good starting point, but out here ALL Mustangs have dealer markup--really stinks. On GT500's it's $25k !!!!!! New 5.0's are $5k.
I can get a 2011 GT500 here for Invoice. SVTPP, Elec Pkg for $50,400. I'm worried it will take nearly that much to get a Boss.

Users who are viewing this thread