True Forged "Louvered Hood Vents"

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm a pretty reserved guy normally. My mantra is subtlety in everything, with minimal change and only when necessary.

All of that goes out the window when it comes to owning a GT500. I've had a ball expressing the way I feel by modifying my car just the way I like it, turning it into my twisted vision of the modern day pony car.

It is no surprise that I keep an eye on the latest from True Forged. Steve did one heck of a job making the billet GT500 hood vents happen. Pretty amazing, considering that there were other vendors out there that couldn't do as much. I'm a sucker for unwavering fortitude, every time. :rockon:

So when I saw that True Forged was offering a louvered insert, for me, trying a set was a foregone conclusion. After some brief correspondence, Steve fired off a set to me this past week.

IMG_7509.jpg

I found some time today to slip them in. It rained all day here in NY, so I did everything inside my shop. The car needs to be washed as it is a bit dusty - I'll follow up with some natural light shots. Anyway, I started by removing the factory hood blanket. I can get it off in less than three minutes, this being the third time I've removed it. No damage to the blanket, the hood, or the plastic hardware. It'll all go back together in less than one minute.

IMG_7523.jpg

Unpacked and ready for an inspection, I immediately notice how well done this piece is. The design and manufacturing execution is absolutely perfect.

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7532.jpg

Steve, whoever decided upon the louver angle absolutely nailed it. Too much one way or the other and it wouldn't have looked right.

IMG_7535.jpg

I then partially disassembled one of my installed vents, simply removing four underhood lock nuts and removing the True Forged billet trim ring. I wanted to see how well the two were designed to work with each other. Once again, the layout is dead on.

IMG_7536.jpg

True%20Forged%20Louvers

IMG_7539.jpg

Installation simply meant reversing the previous step while sandwiching the louver and tightening the four lock nuts back up. One done, one to go!

IMG_7556.jpg

A comparison view of each from the front (excuse the dust!)

IMG_7558.jpg

IMG_7559.jpg

Ten minutes later and both were done. Note that I elected to leave in the mesh screens in.

IMG_7574.jpg

I think that serious concern for major reduction in airflow can be alleviated. Any obstruction is minimal, and if you're truly hardcore or just prefer the look better, you can go screenless.

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7592.jpg

IMG_7591.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

No doubt about it, these louvered vents are pronounced, in a non-subtle sort of way. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

IMG_7593.jpg

Remember, there are a myriad of material and finish combinations, so make sure to go through the thread Steve dedicated to these.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ew-custom-louvered-race-hood-vents-gt500.html

Better shots when better weather shows up!

Tob

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
those look great. did the mesh come with it or is it from your other set ?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The satin finish mesh originally came with the first run of GT500 vents that True Forged offered.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
The satin finish mesh originally came with the first run of GT500 vents that True Forged offered.

i thought so. the combo of the two look so good, better than either of the other two by themselves.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They are towel snaggers, I readily admit. They aren't sharp to a point but a soft radius they aren't either.

Hopefully they'll keep the women and children away, as I'm not into namby pamby or political correctness.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would be willing to bet that those pull a significant amount of air MORE than the the previous design. Which will aid cooling.

Each slot following each louver is provided with a fresh pulse/pull of vacuum, where as the previous only has the one riser on the hood and the over all angle of the vent.

Air passing over each louver pulls air out of each slot.

I love it! Totally functional and yet visual very subtle and tasteful.

TOTAL WIN!:banana:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i gotta say, i hated those the moment i saw them in the other thread, because they just looked like some cheap stamped sheet metal thing. but, seeing them installed, they look absolutely awesome! the trim ring really makes these louvers look integrated instead of "just" a piece of bent metal.
true forged, you impress yet again!

anxiously awaiting the full car shots with these installed tob! although your car isn't the most extreme(no full griggs suspension, 3 piece wheels, or built engine), it's without a doubt one of my favorites. proof that you don't need expensive ingredients for a delicious result!
I would be willing to bet that those pull a significant amount of air MORE than the the previous design. Which will aid cooling.

Each slot following each louver is provided with a fresh pulse/pull of vacuum, where as the previous only has the one riser on the hood and the over all angle of the vent.

Air passing over each louver pulls air out of each slot.

I love it! Totally functional and yet visual very subtle and tasteful.

TOTAL WIN!:banana:
that was my first thought when i saw the installed pics, the louvers should create multiple pressure zones and pull the air out. very cool!

svt1111

Established Member
Those look great. I never really dug the mesh screens by themselves, but the louvers look really nice. I'd like a set for my car now.

On a side note, I would LOVE to see some more pictures of that nice looking Notch in the background. And know more about it....... nudge, nudge....

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i gotta say, i hated those the moment i saw them in the other thread, because they just looked like some cheap stamped sheet metal thing. but, seeing them installed, they look absolutely awesome! the trim ring really makes these louvers look integrated instead of "just" a piece of bent metal.

you know i have to admit, i was kind of thinking the same thing when i first had them presented to me. but i think they look WAY better when powdercoated in black and blend in with the frames.

as far as the sharp edges on the corners, we could easily have those smoothed off for someone if they requested it. we just think it looks bitchin the way it is. :rockon:

thanks for the awesome pics and review Tob! :bowdown:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Steve, but I feel like I haven't done the inserts justice what with the conditions I took those shots. I can and will do better as soon as Mother Nature turns her sprinkler system off.

I think they add a bit of angular perspective, at just the right spot. They do catch your eye and it almost seems as if they are trying to direct your attention as to what is under the hood.

Why, Mr Whipple of course!

Tob

Users who are viewing this thread