GTO Dreams of a kill

_DC

Established Member
This is taken from New Age GTO
http://www.newagegto.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5222

Driving home from shopping with the wife, I see a golden opportunity just a head of me. a 05 Mustang GT and a Mustang Cobra (year unknown) screwing around in traffic. So, after a few miles I finally jockey around and get just behind both of them when out of nowhere an Audi A8 comes flying by all three of us, so we all gun it an run him down at the next traffic light. To set the seen, I’m on a wide 6 lane road that runs in-between Fort bliss and the El Paso Airport, and there’s nothing in front of us for at least a mile. The Audi is in the far right lane I’m in the center and it looks like the mustang GT is going to be on my left, but I guess out of respect for the cobra of fear of the GTO he stops short and lets the cobra pull along side of me instead. My windows were up and I could still hear the swooshing sound of supercharger coming from the cobra. Anyhow, the light turned green and the cobra and I launched, at this time the Audi’s eating dirt. Already in first gear I start pulling away from the cobra and by the time I’m hitting 4th he’s like 5 car lengths behind me with the GT trying to pull up his rear. I swear it was better then sex! Killed all three with one stone! By the next traffic light, I get a thumbs up from to cobra, only too cool. By the way I had to peal the wife from the passenger’s seat when we got home… hoo-ah!
2005, M6 Impulse Blue
No Mods... “yet”

Weird my supercharger is silent when I'm at a light. Should I take it in to Ford to fix? It dosen't swoosh either , just makes this loud whining noise when I hit the gas.

joegt38

Established Member
Some people don't have a clue, as long as there little click is happy about it I wont rain on there parade....

old guys rule

Red Blown Sled
Established Member
Yea it was probably a 99 cobra or something I dont believe a stock GTO is gonna beat even a stock 03/04 cobra. I call B/S with reservations. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
HAHAHA! Those stories from GTO owners always crack me up.

Yeah, I love that "swooshing" noise my blower makes at idle. :rolleyes:

He's so full of it, there's BS squirting out of his ears.

Ironhand

Banned
Wait. The title does say "DREAMS OF A KILL" Maybe he is just telling us a dream he had.. ROFL :)

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
2005 GTO has the LS2 at 400 hp.....

many have done 12.8's bone stock!

that will run very even with a cobra...if not trap more than one bone stock

i dont know if it will pull that hard on that cobra like in the story, but if that cobra doesnt launch right, the GTO can win easily. it should be a damn good race

LS2 goats are no joke....... they are as fast a C5 vettes if not faster

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Orr89rocz-

If the author isn't full of shit...the cobra he raced wasn't a terminator if he heard the blower @ idle.

It was some cobra with a centri on it. And if it truly lost that badly, it's @ 5 PSI on stock internals made in 01 or earlier.

I doubt a bone stock 05 GTO will trap over 114 mph in the 1/4 (best trap for a bone stock terminator). Don't they weigh even more than Terminators?

MustangFreak

Established Member
I was driving on the freeway about a month ago and a new 2005 a4 GTO and I went at it and I would have to say it was dead even. I was not pulling on him and he was not pulling on me. We went from about 60 up to 135-140 2 times. My car only has a Pro 5.0 shifter, weld in flowmasters and a drop-in K&N Filter. His car was brand new with about 200 miles on it. I am pretty sure a Stock 03/04 Cobra would have totally walked away from both of us. I would say this guy raced a 95 cobra with a noisy alternator! J/K

2k1cobra

Established Member
50 BMG said:
Orr89rocz-

If the author isn't full of shit...the cobra he raced wasn't a terminator if he heard the blower @ idle.

It was some cobra with a centri on it. And if it truly lost that badly, it's @ 5 PSI on stock internals made in 01 or earlier.

I doubt a bone stock 05 GTO will trap over 114 mph in the 1/4 (best trap for a bone stock terminator). Don't they weigh even more than Terminators?
Yes they weight in a lil over 3700 LBS and from the dyno sheets ive seen 330-340 rwhp is the norm for these cars.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:

as always, anything can happen on the street. but 5 car lengths is not really believable, unless the cobra missed a shift, quit, etc. i took down several c5 hardtop vettes on the freeway when my '04 cobra was bone stock, and have all but beat an '05 c6 vette with just a CAI and cat-back (he was in front of me and took off from 75 mph--started with a 5 car length gap which i closed down to about 3 by 125mph)

Sharkster

Established Member
posted by me a few weeks back

I must say I did smoke a new GTO on the interstate today. I dont think he knew it was coming, especially when i dropped 5th to 4th He started it and I finished it with about 2 buses worth. Pulled alongside of me with the window down and I couldnt tell what he was saying..... I could see him mouthing the words ho _y fu _ _ _ _ g sh _t Gave me the thumbs up and to the off-ramp he went.
Couldnt tell if it was an 04 or 05 I never saw the rear of it hahahaha

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
but 5 car lengths is not really believable, unless the cobra missed a shift, quit, etc.

yes you guys are correct.. the goat is abit chunky at 3725lbs which is abit more than the cobras advertised 3665 lbs

i said it would be close race, edge going to the cobra tho obviously ;-) .... i think that 5 lengths is over exaggerated or it was some centri blown 99 cobra or something like that. even then, i'm not so sure it would be that bad of a blow out UNLESS the guy completely BLEW the launch....or couldnt drive.

i said before in the C6 thread, i raced on at the track and he ran a 13.88 to my 13.89.. couldnt pass me till the 1000foot mark. ANYTHING can happen out there

Couldnt tell if it was an 04 or 05 I never saw the rear of it hahahaha

I do believe ALL 05 GTO's come with the scoops on the hood

Last edited:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
Arn't the GTO's notoriously hard to launch as well?

well they are IRS too so i guess they can be tricky

but you guys know anything making that much power and torque on 17-18 inch stiff sidewall street tires is hard to launch

hell my 260 crank hp/350 lb feet torque IROC-z is hard to launch somewhat on street tires on the street. 2800 stall and an auto trans makes it easier but still have problems hoooking up.

you'll see great gains just by going to Nittos 555r's or some other drag radial :rockon:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:

many have done 12.8's bone stock!

that will run very even with a cobra...if not trap more than one bone stock

i dont know if it will pull that hard on that cobra like in the story, but if that cobra doesnt launch right, the GTO can win easily. it should be a damn good race

Wrong, the fastest 05 GTO's are in the high 12.9's and there are only a handful of them. Most 05 GTO's are 13.1-13.3 106-108 MPH. Thats quite a bit slower than the average 03/04 Cobra.

No the LS2's are no jokes, but they are not as fast as Cobra's bone stock, and with heavy mods including forced induction, the fastest GTO's are still in the mid 10's.

Cobra's weigh less, put down more HP, have better stock wheels & tyres and better gearing.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
Wrong, the fastest 05 GTO's are in the high 12.9's and there are only a handful of them

your probly right, i just know i have heard and seen vid of them doing bottom 13's to 12.8's
most do 107-109mph in the 1/4 which aint bad but still not quite cobra area

cobras bit lighter, only by 60 lbs... so driver wieghts can even that out

as far as gearing? idk if its better....GTO's rear end is a 9bolt australian similar to mine but IRS... T56 with 3.70 gears or 4:11's out back should do very well with the power band of the LS2.

Last edited:

pestilence

Established Member
5 car lengths???? Did the cobra have a broken half shaft or 3 wheels? I'm not saying that the GTO wouldn't/couldn't beat the cobra but come on let's get realistic here

On a side note...I have not seen any one on that board who has any numbers on their car? Their forum has the signature function too but I have not seen any hp/tq numbers....yeah I'm one to talk hahahaha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread