GTO Dreams of a kill

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Drivers make a world of difference end of story.

No way a stock 05 GTO will put a bus length on a cobra, especially a modded one.

old guys rule

Red Blown Sled
Established Member
Well I still call B/S on this story. He probably heard a vacume leak and misstook it for a blower, if it happened at all. I mean come on 6 lanes no one in front a cobra , GTO, a GT and an audi . What are the chances of that? We all know the GTO is fast its supposed to be but it wont run with an 03/04 Cobra. The Cobra guy could have been a bad driver or problems launching, but there is way to much other stuff here to make it believable. I just dont buy it. :nono: :nono: :bs: :bs: :nono: :bs: :nono: :bs: :bs: :nono: :nono:

Last edited:

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
I just raced 2 GTO's a couple days ago. One stock, not much of a race. I shut down after about 6 cars. The next one was supercharged (roots style), full exhaust, headers.....We were at the same car show a couple months ago. He though he had the Sh*t. Caught a light with him right by my house. I thought it would be faster. Got him by at least 4 cars before we shut down.
The supercharged GTO might hang with a stock or lightly modded Cobra. No way a stock one could even come close.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
super charged or sts boosted gtos put well over 475 at the wheels.. that should do well against most modded pullied cobras

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
cam swap for like 300bucks and supporting tune/exhaust has gotten 420-450rwhp on fbodys.... its a big cam but still works nicely on the street. thats not too much money involved although parts are somewhat expensive, give it time and it will come down. i wont dont wanna go into nitrous.... 200 shot on a bolt on LS1 with a cam will do 600rwhp just fine and do 10's at close to 130mph or more.... cobra needs a KB kit or else try to spray too to make nearly 650rwhp to beat that fbody. either way the costs are pretty close
I'm not disputing you but in my lil neck of the woods, a custom comp cam cost more than 300 bucks with springs etc. He also needed a dyno tune 400 bucks from a good tuner. With the full bolt on's he got 380 rwhp n/a and 485 rwhp with 100 hp spray. Lets throw in a rear end cause a 10 bolt well you know. Then as mentioned some pistons and rods cause now you are talking 200 shot, that might be wise to do. Plus fuel pump and if consistent lets do a auto with h/s and built tranny and some gears 3:73's. Doing a nx wet shot so we can maybe skip the injector upgrade if the cam doesn't need it. Ok now we need at least some bushings for the torque arm and maybe some adj. shocks, plus all other bolt on's, tube headers, exhaust, air mods.

I'm not saying a ls1 isn't impressive it's got 350 ci to work with, good heads, block but if you start wanting like a 200 shot and 600 rwhp it's going to cost you. Guy I know spent plenty to beat my lil ol 2.9 pulley cobra. If we both sat down and added all the stuff, he has spent quite a bit more on mods. Yes, with the cam from texas speed he beat me and I give him credit from going from a 13.8 car, 2000 z-28 with t top, to just recently a 11.4 vehicle, latest mods unknown and $ to do it. You ls1 guys have a formula worked out like the cobra guys. Bottom line it costs money and will it idle decent and can be like a stock car? The 03 bult in blower helps a lot for sure and a kb doesn't change the idle nor gas economy normal driving, something to consider. :rockon:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
super charged or sts boosted gtos put well over 475 at the wheels.. that should do well against most modded pullied cobras

The ones that have those mods are running high 10's. Exactly where Cobra's with good mods are.

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:

Well, if 4 car lengths behind is considerd good, then I guess he did well. :beer:

TNTramair

Established Member
tv's 03 said:
But bolt-on cobras do 450-475 rwhp easy and run 11's..Thats with a CAI, Cat back, pulley and tune only 4 easy mods for under $1000. A cam is no easy mod to do, you have to tear down the motor, then upgrade the valve train to handle the lift too, check valve to piston clearence, spring bind ect...take a professional to do. Then it still needs a tune. listen to you, you are on alot of Forums, but that is not gosphel...that a bunch of people talking crap, it not alway like they tell it. You have to witness it. I have first hand. The guys that run 105-106 in stock ls1's are driving them balls out and have many hours at the track, but different tracks will produce differences as well. The track I go to 105-106 is the norm for a good driver.

Bolt-on get 350 rwhp and run mid 12's at 110.....but stock cobras do that

Guess what, ls1's have weak pistons, slapping on a 200 shot is going to be a short lived motor, you can safely run 75-100 hp shot, and the ls1 needs 65 cubes extra and more compression to go slightly faster than a stock mach 1 or 99-01 cobra...why is that so impressive?

I am not wanting to get in a pissing match, but I know first hand, not from what I read on a forum or in a magazine. I am just trying to shed some light on the truth for you.

I run ls1's all the time and they do not present a great challange for my cobra and do not hang mod for mod or $ for $. Its a well known fact
ok...ive read enough..now i have to chime in. this argument goes on forever about ls1's and terminators. cant we just give it a rest???
mach 1's have less cubes than a ls1..ok...so are cobras...but do ya think that maybe the 2 extra valves per cylinder have anything to do with the similer performance of a ls1??? hmmm..
anther thing...im at the track alot and a simple bolt on with slicks with no motor work ls1's in f-body are running anywhere from 12.00 to 12.5 with trap speeds 106-110. i know a couple people with t/a..headers and full exhaust..slicks and skinnies..and some suspension work running low 12;s with traps speeds not even breakin into the teens...dynoing 345 to the wheels. my point of this is, ls1's dont need alot of power to turn a good number...and "mod for mod" as your putting it, when it comes to track numbers i think a f-body will get a better number for its mods.
dyno numbers are differant story...a cobra will no doubt cruch the ls1 in putting hte power down..which makes it such an incredible machine.
this is just my opinion based on what i have personally seen...not starting a shit storm.
lastly...you are not running the right ls1's if they arent presenting a big challenge....either they cant drive or they are stock or near stock. i have no trouble with most cobras, regardless of their mods. allthough i havent races any after market supercharged ones yet, im lookin forward to it, i think it may be a good race. even off the juice ill walk away from stock cobras..393whp and 300lbs less will have something to do with that.
both machines have their ups and their downs...i love both. tryin to say one is more inferior than another cause it has more cubes and/or a supercharger compared to a n/a motor is just dumb excuses than shouldnt be used by muscle car guys...they are ricer excuses.

Last edited:

TNTramair

Established Member
69gt4speed said:
I'm not disputing you but in my lil neck of the woods, a custom comp cam cost more than 300 bucks with springs etc. He also needed a dyno tune 400 bucks from a good tuner. With the full bolt on's he got 380 rwhp n/a and 485 rwhp with 100 hp spray. Lets throw in a rear end cause a 10 bolt well you know. Then as mentioned some pistons and rods cause now you are talking 200 shot, that might be wise to do. Plus fuel pump and if consistent lets do a auto with h/s and built tranny and some gears 3:73's. Doing a nx wet shot so we can maybe skip the injector upgrade if the cam doesn't need it. Ok now we need at least some bushings for the torque arm and maybe some adj. shocks, plus all other bolt on's, tube headers, exhaust, air mods.

I'm not saying a ls1 isn't impressive it's got 350 ci to work with, good heads, block but if you start wanting like a 200 shot and 600 rwhp it's going to cost you. Guy I know spent plenty to beat my lil ol 2.9 pulley cobra. If we both sat down and added all the stuff, he has spent quite a bit more on mods. Yes, with the cam from texas speed he beat me and I give him credit from going from a 13.8 car, 2000 z-28 with t top, to just recently a 11.4 vehicle, latest mods unknown and $ to do it. You ls1 guys have a formula worked out like the cobra guys. Bottom line it costs money and will it idle decent and can be like a stock car? The 03 bult in blower helps a lot for sure and a kb doesn't change the idle nor gas economy normal driving, something to consider. :rockon:
I personally run a 150 shot and have been doin so for 8 months now with no trouble...and i run it atleast twice a weekend every weekend since. i know plenty of people running 200 shots on stock cubes. its all in the tuning...if its tuned right there is no reason why it shouldnt last you.
by the way...what you see in my sig was all achieved for less then $2500 bucks. getting the power out of an ls1 doesnt cost as much as people think...just need the right combo and tune.
argh..i hate havin these discussions...makes me look bad like im all about ls1's and what not...whic isnt the case...but i love the conversations...:D

tv's 03

Established Member
Hey I not disagreeing with everything you say, but to assume that with slicks a ls1 with do this or that, and not even acknowledge that a cobra with slicks will turn in better times too is silly. I am just sick of hearing how great the ls1 is. It is a nice motor, but it is not as great as their owner make it out to be. They act if as its gods gift to man

Again you go on about how a ls1 with bolt-ons and slicks will go 12.0-12.5 at 106-110. No one is disputing that. But I am here to tell you that a 03 cobra with bolt-ons and slick will run nearly a half to a second faster and 10 more mph. You car is obviously fast and I respect that. I am just tired of people expecting us to be scared of a bolt-on ls1 with slicks going 12.0-12.5 at 106-110, when a stock cobra with slicks will do that or more

comparing more valves to larger displacement is silly too. Don't ya think that maybe those valves are a bit smaller than the 2 valves in your ls1? Don't ls1 heads still flow more than DOHC heads? Especiall since the combustion chamber is bigger in the ls1? hmmmm! Yet no props are given to the 281 cube DOHC and it ability to be competitive with a motor with significant more cubes...this is what irks me about all you internet bench races that think the ls1 is so great and the DOHC is not. Its just not logical. But this is what makes whipping up on you guys all the more sweet. Maybe the fact is that the smaller displacement, less air flowing, mild stock cam DOHC is just more efficient design....

Look guy I race ls1's that have more modifications than my cobra and win, bottom line. Am I going to beat a ls1 that is whored out like yours, not when your spraying, it would be interesting off the spray though

Your comment that mod for mod they will get better times is just wrong...face it. The fact is, ls1's need a few bolt-ons just to run with a stock cobra

rphinney

Established Member
In all your ranting about the mighty 281 you left out the fact you are doing all of it with a blower dipsh!t.

Challenging him to a race with no juice huh?

How about you let loose of that blower belt?

LS1's love juice, and cobra's have superchargers, and a power adder is a power adder.

I love when cobra guys bitch about LS1 cars being on the juice. :bs:

Go to CARTEK.com and see what a CAM ONLY F-Body did, around 10.70 I believe. Certainly you are going to need a Kenne Bell to go there and the cost of that alone outweighs the mods needed to swap an LS1 cam and put in a new rear. Not to mention the GM boys are still doing it N/A.

rphinney

Established Member
tv's 03 said:
Look guy I race ls1's that have more modifications than my cobra and win, bottom line. Am I going to beat a ls1 that is whored out like yours, not when your spraying, it would be interesting off the spray though

You wanna run my sh!tty LS1, it is all motor and will rip your cobra a new asshole.

You are aware a Nitrous set up on an LS1 can be had for under a grand?
Seems that's all it takes to scare your ass.

TNTramair

Established Member
tv's 03 said:
Hey I not disagreeing with everything you say, but to assume that with slicks a ls1 with do this or that, and not even acknowledge that a cobra with slicks will turn in better times too is silly. I am just sick of hearing how great the ls1 is. It is a nice motor, but it is not as great as their owner make it out to be. They act if as its gods gift to man

Again you go on about how a ls1 with bolt-ons and slicks will go 12.0-12.5 at 106-110. No one is disputing that. But I am here to tell you that a 03 cobra with bolt-ons and slick will run nearly a half to a second faster and 10 more mph. You car is obviously fast and I respect that. I am just tired of people expecting us to be scared of a bolt-on ls1 with slicks going 12.0-12.5 at 106-110, when a stock cobra with slicks will do that or more

comparing more valves to larger displacement is silly too. Don't ya think that maybe those valves are a bit smaller than the 2 valves in your ls1? Don't ls1 heads still flow more than DOHC heads? Especiall since the combustion chamber is bigger in the ls1? hmmmm! Yet no props are given to the 281 cube DOHC and it ability to be competitive with a motor with significant more cubes...this is what irks me about all you internet bench races that think the ls1 is so great and the DOHC is not. Its just not logical. But this is what makes whipping up on you guys all the more sweet. Maybe the fact is that the smaller displacement, less air flowing, mild stock cam DOHC is just more efficient design....

Your comment that mod for mod they will get better times is just wrong...face it. The fact is, ls1's need a few bolt-ons just to run with a stock cobra
and not one time did i come at you with "your running a blower and we arent"..did i??? i dont make excuses. i give all the respect in the world to cobras...cause they deserve it. its a well built motor that puts out loads of power...i take my hat off to ford for makin such a dominating machine. all i hear coming from you is excuses and how you beat ls1's with more mods than you and this n that.
no one here bench races if your directing that toward me...im out to the track atleast once a week and out every weekend doind some shit we arent supposed to do. so you can take that comment to the honda boards cause it doesnt fit here.
cubes isnt everything...evos and sti's are proof of that..breathing and the ablity to flow air is where its at. your 32v dohc motor does a good job of breathing my friend...specially with that blower. stop with the lower cubes b.s allready cause no one buys it here.
you would be the type to ask me to run without juice...scared much?? guess you wont respect anything untill one shows up and really teaches you a lesson...goodluck

tv's 03

Established Member
Boy your scary! hehe

Nitrous for a cobra is under $1000 too, whats your point? You're getting a little emotional aren't you? truth hurts huh?

When did I bitch about ls1's on the juice? Are you just making crap up Mr. Touchy? When did I say the ls1 was shitty? When did I challange anyone to a race?

Are you really stupid enough to believe that a otherwise stock Ls1 f-body ran in the 10's? I guess that included the stock tires and suspension to huh? You're funny

Its a surprize to me how many people have more money and horsepower than brains, and you sir take the cake.

BTW, I had na DOHC's too. I was able to keep up with the average ls1. I did it with no blower too dipshit, so what? There is always someone faster, I accept that. I just don't understand the worship of the ls1

Next time pull your head out of your ass before you put words in my mouth ok

TNTramair

Established Member
rphinney said:
In all your ranting about the mighty 281 you left out the fact you are doing all of it with a blower dipsh!t.

LS1's love juice, and cobra's have superchargers, and a power adder is a power adder.

this is why you dont say anything....you let them figure it out on their own after they race you....:D :coolman:

tv's 03

Established Member
TNTramair said:
and not one time did i come at you with "your running a blower and we arent"..did i??? i dont make excuses. i give all the respect in the world to cobras...cause they deserve it. its a well built motor that puts out loads of power...i take my hat off to ford for makin such a dominating machine. all i hear coming from you is excuses and how you beat ls1's with more mods than you and this n that.
no one here bench races if your directing that toward me...im out to the track atleast once a week and out every weekend doind some shit we arent supposed to do. so you can take that comment to the honda boards cause it doesnt fit here.
cubes isnt everything...evos and sti's are proof of that..breathing and the ablity to flow air is where its at. your 32v dohc motor does a good job of breathing my friend...specially with that blower. stop with the lower cubes b.s allready cause no one buys it here.
you would be the type to ask me to run without juice...scared much?? guess you wont respect anything untill one shows up and really teaches you a lesson...goodluck

When did I ask you to run? I was not refering to only DOHC that run blowers, there are fast DOHC's without blowers. You guys are attacking things I never said :shrug: i like the ls1, I just don't understand some peoples worship of them. I dig the ls1, I even like some modded l98's and lt1's. They can all run good. It just bothers me when people start spouting how ls1 are far superior to everything else. My only comment is that DOHC are respectable engines and the ls1 is no as superior as some people make them out to be, and I hate rice, ricers and such. But I do respect all fast cars.

You did not say you are running a blower and we aren't, but you did say that mod for mod a ls1 will run better than a 03 cobra, and I am telling you that is simply not true

tv's 03

Established Member
TNTramair said:
rphinney said:

this is why you dont say anything....you let them figure it out on their own after they race you....:D :coolman:

Oh Boy more :cryying:

You have a blower and I don't wahhh! :cryying:

Oh but do not mention that I have more cubes because that does not count...whaaaaaa, :cryying: your extra valves whaaaa :cryying:

But yet you still believe that a cam only car goes 10's :rolleyes: :nonono:

I figured it out a long time ago, its simple, mod for mod a 03 cobra is faster than a ls1 fbody, I was just trying to enlighten you. It true, you can't argue with stupid....you win stupid :beer:

Now that I have made you understand that you were wrong about your mod for mod comment, you want to cry about how I have a blower and I have this and that. My argument was simply that mod for mod a 03 cobra will hand a ls1 fbody its ass

Last edited:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
rphinney said:

Go to CARTEK.com and see what a CAM ONLY F-Body did, around 10.70 I believe. Certainly you are going to need a Kenne Bell to go there and the cost of that alone outweighs the mods needed to swap an LS1 cam and put in a new rear. Not to mention the GM boys are still doing it N/A.

Cobra's come stock with blowers do they not?

I don't know of any LS1 that came stock with juice.

Users who are viewing this thread