GTO Dreams of a kill

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
i found one guy to say his 04 Ls1 GTO put down 310rwhp...bone stock

he says he has seen 05's put down 330's which aint much more... most will dyno 335-345 bone stock... they lose alot of power thru the drivetrain and accessories.

another 05 goat guy dyno'd 349.7 rwhp with a CAI induction with 725 mileage on the odometer... once it breaks in the LS2 will make more power.

alot of them have wheel hop issues.... so they launch terribly

AllVenom

Established Member
Just one question...Who the heck still has a stock 03/04 Cobra? I mean, at the very least people change out the exhaust to make it sound better, which in itself frees up a few ponies.

I, for one, look forward to more cars being on the road that are somewhat of a challenge. It gets tiring beating up on Vettes, and don't even get me started on Camaro's, when you can even find one willing to go at it. So, I say bring them on, and let's have some fun, no need to argue something as trivial as who is heavier, who has more hp, etc, it still, (for the most part), comes down to actually driving. I mean, if a Ford GT pulled up to one of us, and didn't know how to shift or launch) we'd have a good shot at it. Hell, I have seen 600+hp KB Cobra's run 12s. Go figure.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
Who the heck still has a stock 03/04 Cobra? I mean, at the very least people change out the exhaust to make it sound better, which in itself frees up a few ponies.

seriously.. when its sooo easy to mod them i dont think many are stock anymore....

most ppl do the exhaust/CAI route and tune... or maybe some headers and a throttle body, etc... that alone adds 30hp at the wheels, maybe more in some cases.

i dont think i know many sports cars whether its a mustang/vette/camaro thats bone stock anymore. always has something done to it

It gets tiring beating up on Vettes, and don't even get me started on Camaro's, when you can even find one willing to go at it

whts all done to your car? what times you run? must not be in a really fast town cuz there are tons of cars out there that will run you and give you a run for your money... just gotta get out there and find them! LOL :-D have fun

Last edited:

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
2005 GTO has the LS2 at 400 hp.....

many have done 12.8's bone stock!

that will run very even with a cobra...if not trap more than one bone stock

i dont know if it will pull that hard on that cobra like in the story, but if that cobra doesnt launch right, the GTO can win easily. it should be a damn good race

LS2 goats are no joke....... they are as fast a C5 vettes if not faster

Whats are you trying to say C5's are faster then Cobra's ?? No way bro.. My friends bone stock Cobra I mean BONE STOCK with 6,400 Miles went 12.3 in the 1/4 mile... your telling me C5's and 05 GTO do that???

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
Whats are you trying to say C5's are faster then Cobra's ?? No way bro.. My friends bone stock Cobra I mean BONE STOCK with 6,400 Miles went 12.3 in the 1/4 mile... your telling me C5's and 05 GTO do that???

no i didnt say that at all.... i can see where you thought this... but all i was saying is that it would be a close race... most fbody's trap 108mph with the LS1... vette are 300lbs lighter so should do 110-113mph or so. GTO Ls2's can run just as good as the fbody. it would be a close race for a while. i think a C5 should pull a cobra, it would be a damn close race

cobras in my area are high 12's on drag radials and bone stock trapping 112mph. 12.3 is the fastest i heard of a stock cobra...i have a hard time believing that but anything can happen i guess

Last edited:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
i found one guy to say his 04 Ls1 GTO put down 310rwhp...bone stock

he says he has seen 05's put down 330's which aint much more... most will dyno 335-345 bone stock... they lose alot of power thru the drivetrain and accessories.

another 05 goat guy dyno'd 349.7 rwhp with a CAI induction with 725 mileage on the odometer... once it breaks in the LS2 will make more power.

alot of them have wheel hop issues.... so they launch terribly

You do realize that bone stock 03/04 Cobra's have been known to dyno over 370 RWHP bone stock right?

You also understand with just a CAI and cat-back that number gets much closer to 400-410 RWHP right?

Add a tune and a simple pulley change, for all under $2500 the Cobras are pushing damn close to 500 RWHP.

tv's 03

Established Member
My 03 dynoed at 375 rwhp and 370 rwtq stock.

it now about 425 or so with a few minor mods and under $700 in mods...no cat-back exhaust yet...

But a 12.3 with a stocker is bs, they won't hook up that good unless you go to sticky tires

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
cobras in my area are high 12's on drag radials and bone stock trapping 112mph. 12.3 is the fastest i heard of a stock cobra...i have a hard time believing that but anything can happen i guess

Evan Smith took a 2003 bone stock, right down to the paper filter to a 12.2. Not sure of the MPH.

Taking the passenger and rear seats out, pulling the front right headlight and putting in a high flow airfilter and did a 11.8 or 11.9

tv's 03

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
Evan Smith took a 2003 bone stock, right down to the paper filter to a 12.2. Not sure of the MPH.

Taking the passenger and rear seats out, pulling the front right headlight and putting in a high flow airfilter and did a 11.8 or 11.9

Evan Smith is not your every day cobra driver, lets not get carried away here. I have a cobra and know exactly how it runs. Its enough to take out a GTO, but those numbers you are quoting are pullied cobra times and KB cobra times.

unless you have personally driven one that fast, I would not quote those numbers, you will look bad to those that know better

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
You do realize that bone stock 03/04 Cobra's have been known to dyno over 370 RWHP bone stock right?

You also understand with just a CAI and cat-back that number gets much closer to 400-410 RWHP right?

Add a tune and a simple pulley change, for all under $2500 the Cobras are pushing damn close to 500 RWHP.

yeah i am fully aware of all that.... what are you trying to prove?

i am not downplaying the cobra or trying to make the GTO sound like its just as good. GTO is just a step down from the cobra... the old LS1 fbodys are just about a step ahead of the GTO and mod for mod, just as potent as the Cobra

i can say a GTO with 1000 bucks in mods in the form of longtubes/tune/cam swap can make 450rwhp.... add 500 more for nitrous kit and your at 600rwhp

and the high 12's i am seeing are normal drivers... its the norm i see. and there were like 4-5 cobras at my track taht night, ranging from stockers to mid 11 second beasts and one looked like it might do 9's.... didnt see him run but he was in the slick car lanes.... a true MONSTER. the stockers were bottom 13's all night with traction issues on the stock tires. drag radial cars were high 12's

i am not familar with evan smith but i am sure he could take a LS1 fbody deep in the mid high 12's as well.. GMHTP mag took one to 12.89 at 110

Last edited:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
tv's 03 said:
Evan Smith is not your every day cobra driver, lets not get carried away here. I have a cobra and know exactly how it runs. Its enough to take out a GTO, but those numbers you are quoting are pullied cobra times and KB cobra times.

unless you have personally driven one that fast, I would not quote those numbers, you will look bad to those that know better

My Cobra ran 12.7 bone stock. It then ran 12.2 with a CAI, cat back & tune. Now I'm running mid 11's (well 11.7 to be exact) with cai, catback, X, pulley, and tune. No times on slicks or DR's yet.

Whipple'ed and KB'ed Cobras are low 11 high 10's.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
2005 GTO has the LS2 at 400 hp.....

many have done 12.8's bone stock!

that will run very even with a cobra...if not trap more than one bone stock

i dont know if it will pull that hard on that cobra like in the story, but if that cobra doesnt launch right, the GTO can win easily. it should be a damn good race

LS2 goats are no joke....... they are as fast a C5 vettes if not faster

I love the GTO and I plan on getting one in a couple of years but stock for stock the '03/04 Cobra is the faster car. They have more power and weigh less. The best bone stock '05 GTO trap speed I've seen is 110. The Cobra 113 so if both are driven to their potential the Cobra will start pulling after 3rd gear.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
no i didnt say that at all.... i can see where you thought this... but all i was saying is that it would be a close race... most fbody's trap 108mph with the LS1... vette are 300lbs lighter so should do 110-113mph or so. GTO Ls2's can run just as good as the fbody. it would be a close race for a while. i think a C5 should pull a cobra, it would be a damn close race

The only way a C5 Vette would pull a '03/04 Cobra is if the Vette is close enough on top end where the aerodynamics would take effect. If both cars are driven to their potential the Cobra will have a couple car length lead all the way up past 130.

tv's 03

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
My Cobra ran 12.7 bone stock. It then ran 12.2 with a CAI, cat back & tune. Now I'm running mid 11's (well 11.7 to be exact) with cai, catback, X, pulley, and tune. No times on slicks or DR's yet.

Whipple'ed and KB'ed Cobras are low 11 high 10's.

A 12.7 is a far cry from a 12.3. My cobra ran 12.6 with a CAI at 112.8 mph

Most stockers run 110-111 mph

tv's 03

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
yeah i am fully aware of all that.... what are you trying to prove?

i am not downplaying the cobra or trying to make the GTO sound like its just as good. GTO is just a step down from the cobra... the old LS1 fbodys are just about a step ahead of the GTO and mod for mod, just as potent as the Cobra

i can say a GTO with 1000 bucks in mods in the form of longtubes/tune/cam swap can make 450rwhp.... add 500 more for nitrous kit and your at 600rwhp

and the high 12's i am seeing are normal drivers... its the norm i see. and there were like 4-5 cobras at my track taht night, ranging from stockers to mid 11 second beasts and one looked like it might do 9's.... didnt see him run but he was in the slick car lanes.... a true MONSTER. the stockers were bottom 13's all night with traction issues on the stock tires. drag radial cars were high 12's

i am not familar with evan smith but i am sure he could take a LS1 fbody deep in the mid high 12's as well.. GMHTP mag took one to 12.89 at 110

Guy, you are way off

A ls1 f body is not mod for mod gonna hang with a cobra. The cobra is already 65+ rwhp ahead stock for stock and only weighs 300 lbs more. Most fbody ls1's run 105-106 mph at the same track I ran 112. With bolt-on mods they go 107-109. Don't quote mag times, go to a drag strip and witness the truth like I do :poke:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
The cobra is already 65+ rwhp ahead stock for stock and only weighs 300 lbs more. Most fbody ls1's run 105-106 mph at the same track I ran 112. With bolt-on mods they go 107-109. Don't quote mag times, go to a drag strip and witness the truth like I do

not trying to get into a pissing contest between the cars but i DO go to the track.......this is what i see... bolt ons gets 350rwp easy, some get more.. does mid 12's easy at 110mph

magazine times?? GMHTP took a 04 Z06 to 11.97 at 118. they are damn good drivers....... nothing wrong with that at all

go to LS1/fbody forums and see whats up.... Fbody will trap 105-106 in a poor drivers hands. most do 107-109mph. i'm on alot of forums and know my fbodys

as far as mod for mod, i see ALOT more Fbodys in the 11 second range than mustangs with just full exhaust and cam swaps... thats not too much money. cobra has about 60 more hp stock for stock but is also 200-300lbs more like you said.. thats a big difference

cam swap for like 300bucks and supporting tune/exhaust has gotten 420-450rwhp on fbodys.... its a big cam but still works nicely on the street. thats not too much money involved although parts are somewhat expensive, give it time and it will come down. i wont dont wanna go into nitrous.... 200 shot on a bolt on LS1 with a cam will do 600rwhp just fine and do 10's at close to 130mph or more.... cobra needs a KB kit or else try to spray too to make nearly 650rwhp to beat that fbody. either way the costs are pretty close

so right mods for right mods its very close... both cars can be made fast easy... one naturally aspirated one booosted.... gotta give more respect to the naturally aspirated motor

Last edited:

tv's 03

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
not trying to get into a pissing contest between the cars but i DO go to the track.......this is what i see... bolt ons gets 350rwp easy, some get more.. does mid 12's easy at 110mph

magazine times?? GMHTP took a 04 Z06 to 11.97 at 118. they are damn good drivers....... nothing wrong with that at all

go to LS1/fbody forums and see whats up.... Fbody will trap 105-106 in a poor drivers hands. most do 107-109mph. i'm on alot of forums and know my fbodys

as far as mod for mod, i see ALOT more Fbodys in the 11 second range than mustangs with just full exhaust and cam swaps... thats not too much money. cobra has about 60 more hp stock for stock but is also 200-300lbs more like you said.. thats a big difference

cam swap for like 300bucks and supporting tune/exhaust has gotten 420-450rwhp on fbodys.... its a big cam but still works nicely on the street. thats not too much money involved although parts are somewhat expensive, give it time and it will come down. i wont dont wanna go into nitrous.... 200 shot on a bolt on LS1 with a cam will do 600rwhp just fine and do 10's at close to 130mph or more.... cobra needs a KB kit or else try to spray too to make nearly 650rwhp to beat that fbody. either way the costs are pretty close

so right mods for right mods its very close... both cars can be made fast easy... one naturally aspirated one booosted.... gotta give more respect to the naturally aspirated motor

But bolt-on cobras do 450-475 rwhp easy and run 11's..Thats with a CAI, Cat back, pulley and tune only 4 easy mods for under $1000. A cam is no easy mod to do, you have to tear down the motor, then upgrade the valve train to handle the lift too, check valve to piston clearence, spring bind ect...take a professional to do. Then it still needs a tune. listen to you, you are on alot of Forums, but that is not gosphel...that a bunch of people talking crap, it not alway like they tell it. You have to witness it. I have first hand. The guys that run 105-106 in stock ls1's are driving them balls out and have many hours at the track, but different tracks will produce differences as well. The track I go to 105-106 is the norm for a good driver.

Bolt-on get 350 rwhp and run mid 12's at 110.....but stock cobras do that

Guess what, ls1's have weak pistons, slapping on a 200 shot is going to be a short lived motor, you can safely run 75-100 hp shot, and the ls1 needs 65 cubes extra and more compression to go slightly faster than a stock mach 1 or 99-01 cobra...why is that so impressive?

I am not wanting to get in a pissing match, but I know first hand, not from what I read on a forum or in a magazine. I am just trying to shed some light on the truth for you.

I run ls1's all the time and they do not present a great challange for my cobra and do not hang mod for mod or $ for $. Its a well known fact

JDsfastGN

Established Member
tv's 03 said:
But bolt-on cobras do 450-475 rwhp easy and run 11's..Thats with a CAI, Cat back, pulley and tune only 4 easy mods for under $1000.
thats a little over exagerated money wise, a cat back alone would be 6-700 for a decent cat back.
A cam is no easy mod to do, you have to tear down the motor, then upgrade the valve train to handle the lift too, check valve to piston clearence, spring bind ect...take a professional to do. Then it still needs a tune.
Yes its involving but LS1s are relativly easy to do a cam swap, the intake doesn't even have to come off. and there are plenty of people that do it on their own, its not rocket science
isten to you, you are on alot of Forums, but that is not gosphel...that a bunch of people talking crap, it not alway like they tell it. You have to witness it. I have first hand. The guys that run 105-106 in stock ls1's are driving them balls out and have many hours at the track, but different tracks will produce differences as well. The track I go to 105-106 is the norm for a good driver.
Not really, my sisters auto bone stock Z went 13.16 at 105

Bolt-on get 350 rwhp and run mid 12's at 110.....but stock cobras do that

Guess what, ls1's have weak pistons, slapping on a 200 shot is going to be a short lived motor, you can safely run 75-100 hp shot, and the ls1 needs 65 cubes extra and more compression to go slightly faster than a stock mach 1 or 99-01 cobra...why is that so impressive?

CI isn't really a huge advantage over 4 cams and 4 valves per cylinder, different ways of getting similar results. And there are plenty running 125-150 shots on stock motors without a problem. Nitrous is cheap and yes the competition can spray as well but it is a great bang for the buck.

I am not wanting to get in a pissing match, but I know first hand, not from what I read on a forum or in a magazine. I am just trying to shed some light on the truth for you.

I run ls1's all the time and they do not present a great challange for my cobra and do not hang mod for mod or $ for $. Its a well known fact

Meh i got nothing there, don't know what kinda ls1s you run into or what not.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
tv's 03 said:
Guy, you are way off

A ls1 f body is not mod for mod gonna hang with a cobra. The cobra is already 65+ rwhp ahead stock for stock and only weighs 300 lbs more. Most fbody ls1's run 105-106 mph at the same track I ran 112. With bolt-on mods they go 107-109. Don't quote mag times, go to a drag strip and witness the truth like I do :poke:

I agree. A well driven F-Body will trap from 105-107. Stock for stock they are not even in the Cobra's league. I would say the GTO is slightly faster than a LS1 Camaro/Trans AM, but still would be trailing a well driven "Terminator".

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
The guys that run 105-106 in stock ls1's are driving them balls out and have many hours at the track, but different tracks will produce differences as well. The track I go to 105-106 is the norm for a good driver.

yeah thats a big difference, depends on your locations, but still, go on forums and see... ppl quote their times and the ones i know are trustworthy indeed... i have seen them run at the track, seen the vids, etc... fbodys can trap up to 109mph... most cant drive them that well and only hit 105-106.. thats cuz of the launch.. 60 foots make the run. add some good gears in the rear and you can run abit quicker... bone stockers get 3.42 gears and thts not quite the good match you want behind the T56

346 ls1 makes 350 hp naturally aspirated with a puny cam. a cam swap might not be easy, but we're comparing mods/price not labor/effort. look at the Ls6... 346 cubes but 405hp... i like to see more mustang GT motors making above 400hp naturally aspirated and even more power like the LS1. cubes is important but still.... i know of only a few streetable high hp naturally aspirated GT 2 valves and 4 valvers. they do better with boost and spray

i do agree cobra is definately the power winner mod for mod, but i'm saying that its a close race there for mod for mod. LS1 and the cobra motor are two of the greatest motors ever. both are responsive... but its SO hard to even try to compare a naturally aspirated motor to a boosted one.

Bolt-on get 350 rwhp and run mid 12's at 110

its actually more like bottom 12's with decent traction and 112-114mph.. depends on the year as the 01-02's got the LS6 manifold and MAF sensor

still, bolt ons like that are just full exhaust---headers to catback, air lid and filter, tune and thats it. nearly 400hp on motor.. not bad for a weekends worth of work and about 1000bucks of work. not quite cobra terrority yet....

cobra gets the jump in the less than 1000bucks category, but once you start spending abit more, you can throw a cam and stuff on the LS1 to really get the power up. that starts evening out the mod race...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread