Oil you use and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
I saw the Oil vs. Oil thread and decided to make a poll. Explain what you like about the brand you use. If possible post actual facts and pics of motors that have been torn down after using 1 brand only its whole life or close to. This is somthing I have always woundered because i know RP use a friction modifier to improve bearing race surface,and to polish internal parts.(to me that sounds bad but I still use RP)

I chose royal purple because of all the information I found on it that pointed to its supiriority. Of course, depending on whats disclosed in this thread I may feel otherwise. All I care about is the quality of what I use. So let lets start. :thumbsup:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Thats the only problem amsoil ain't the easiest to get, But I have a dealer pretty close to my house. Brings it in with no shipping. I think the most important thing (besides using synthetics) is what oil filter and air filter, and thats why I went with Amsoil, I think they have the best and they can back it up. That nanofiber stuff looks like its the real deal.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Amsoil OW-30 here for 60K miles now. It's proven to be better than all the other major brands. I use their oil filter and air filter with my Steeda CAI.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I use Royal Purple 10w30 street oil on track and on the street.
I have been using it since 2500 miles. I have no tear down pictures because there is no reason to tear down. I recently added the Canton road race pan and windage tray, and there was no evidence of anything starting to go wrong.

Royal Purple gets bashed by people who I suspect don't really know WTF they are talking about.

I have 20K HARD MILES on this thing and have no intention of letting up now.
There are plenty of high quality full synth oils available that do an excellent job.
I choose to run RP and it is working for me. I run it in the engine(stock oil cooler), the trans(no cooler), and the diff(also no cooler).
If anyone knows a tougher application to test oil on than what I do with my car, feel free to bash away with your humorous lawn mower comments etc. while you explain how much more stress your application has and why it proves your choice is "the best".

Royal Purple may not be the best,( I'm not really qualified to say what is the BEST) but it IS WHAT I RUN, and it is WORKING! :rockon: :beer:

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I use Valvoline Fully Synth

What oil weight do you guys go with?

What weight oil does Ford recommend for the GT500's?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
You may even be able to go longer than that, if you have an oil analysis done it will give you some good info on your oil and whether or not what you are running is the best for your motor. It's about $25 to have it done, i'll probably send mine off the next time I change mine since i'm trying a new oil weight and manufacture.

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
You may even be able to go longer than that, if you have an oil analysis done it will give you some good info on your oil and whether or not what you are running is the best for your motor. It's about $25 to have it done, i'll probably send mine off the next time I change mine since i'm trying a new oil weight and manufacture.

Where do you take it to have this done? It seems to me that the only way to truly tell If an oil has done a great job is to tear down after many hard miles:burnout:

hotcobra03

Established Member
i used castol gtx 5-20w 6qrts and i bottle of stp on every oil change..i have well over 200,000 miles on my 03 cobra and my oil is never changed on time..im doing the test of time,,its alot funner than an oil analysis

Tractionless1

Established Member
Amsoil 5w-20

Switched from Mobil 1. I figured for $.80 more per qt. I might as well get a true synthetic.

If Mobil 1 was priced with the rest of the semi-syn's I'd still be using it.

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I have been using it since 2500 miles. I have no tear down pictures because there is no reason to tear down. I recently added the Canton road race pan and windage tray, and there was no evidence of anything starting to go wrong.

Royal Purple gets bashed by people who I suspect don't really know WTF they are talking about.

There are plenty of high quality full synth oils available that do an excellent job.
I choose to run RP and it is working for me. I run it in the engine(stock oil cooler), the trans(no cooler), and the diff(also no cooler).
If anyone knows a tougher application to test oil on than what I do with my car, feel free to bash away with your humorous lawn mower comments etc. while you explain how much more stress your application has and why it proves your choice is "the best".

Royal Purple may not be the best,( I'm not really qualified to say what is the BEST) but it IS WHAT I RUN, and it is WORKING! :rockon: :beer:

Royal Purple here too. :beer:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member

Did you see a change in oil pressure after going to 10w-30?

MustangThief

Established Member
I thought mobil 1 was true synthetic? :dw:

Mobil 1 is a true synthetic.

They use Group III oils and some people consider that to not be a true synthetic.

I think only Amsoil and RP use Group IV oils and are therefore considered by many to be the only "True synthetics"

Even though The National Advertising Department of the Better Business Bureau ruled that Group III base oils can be considered "synthetic" because modern oils made using hydroisomerization technology have most of the same performance features of the early synthetics.

So, yes, Mobil 1 IS full synth oil, unless you wanna nitpick.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Did you see a change in oil pressure after going to 10w-30?

No.

It does not get that cold here in the winter, so I don't bother with the 5W, a 10W gets it done ok.

On the hot side I figured I would be better off with the protection of a 30 weight compared to a 20 weight, since all the internal clearances and lash adjusters are the same as the older engines that took 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread