• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
No.

It does not get that cold here in the winter, so I don't bother with the 5W, a 10W gets it done ok.

On the hot side I figured I would be better off with the protection of a 30 weight compared to a 20 weight, since all the internal clearances and lash adjusters are the same as the older engines that took 5W30.

I use 5w-30 amsoil in my cobra. I'm thinking of running 10w-30 in my new engine though. The piston to bore clearance in my new engine is larger than stock. I will run at least a 5w-30 though. The engine was assembled with 50 weight oil.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Where do you take it to have this done? It seems to me that the only way to truly tell If an oil has done a great job is to tear down after many hard miles:burnout:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

You can request a test kit and send it to them to have it looked at, it's $22.50 to have it analyzed

i used castol gtx 5-20w 6qrts and i bottle of stp on every oil change..i have well over 200,000 miles on my 03 cobra and my oil is never changed on time..im doing the test of time,,its alot funner than an oil analysis

I'd rather find out sooner than later, but looks like you have had good luck so far.

No.

It does not get that cold here in the winter, so I don't bother with the 5W, a 10W gets it done ok.

On the hot side I figured I would be better off with the protection of a 30 weight compared to a 20 weight, since all the internal clearances and lash adjusters are the same as the older engines that took 5W30.

10W30 here too, i'll probably stick with the 30 weight unless I decide to try out a 20 weight oil

Anyone have any good/bad experience with Red Line oil?
Have any of you heard of Alisyn? http://aerospacelubricants.thomasne...92?&plpver=10&origin=advsrch&by=prod&filter=0

Josh

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Damn. There have been a bunch of oil threads lately.

It's like asking which shifter to use. MGW, dude. Mobil 1, son.

There sure have, MGW :rockon:

Oil can be debated forever. Shifters... Well, there's only one lol

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
Amsoil all the way, I have engines blow and when disassembled the oil still looked great I've been using it for years and knock on wood no problems.

SlowSVT

Established Member
To be honest I don't think you will see much difference no matter what oil you use. I had a 92 Subaru Legacy with 286K miles on the dial and all I ever put in there was Castrol 20-50 (even in the winter when living in New England). The car didn't burned a drop of oil (just dipped from the oil pan). It was cheap and sold everywhere.

I run Amsoil 2000 (0-30W) in the Cobra. I was inspecting my piston skirts after 16K miles and they looked like they were never even used (not even a scratch). They tell me it's great stuff :shrug:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Who ****ing cares? Couldn't you look at one of the other 5000 posts or polls on oil? Use an oil that is 5W20 or 5W30 and brown and change it every 3000 miles. That is it. It does not matter what you use as long as you change it at regular intervals.

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
Who ****ing cares? Couldn't you look at one of the other 5000 posts or polls on oil? Use an oil that is 5W20 or 5W30 and brown and change it every 3000 miles. That is it. It does not matter what you use as long as you change it at regular intervals.
Are you saying that the subject of oil has already been discussed here on SVTP? :dw:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Are you saying that the subject of oil has already been discussed here on SVTP? :dw:

Actually no it has not been discussed, because there is nothing to discuss. Follow my procedure above, that is it.

There has been much useless banter, conjecture, and opinion on the subject, of which very little has validity.

Juruense

Banned
I was just joking but I do think the poll is a good idea, and since I am a Mobil1 user I am liking the overwhelming results in favor of Mobil1.

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member

FYI, I did a search and found no polls regaurding what oil you use. It just so happen that the current dicussions are which oils are better. So do yourself a favor and re-read the op. :burn:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
FYI, I did a search and found no polls regaurding what oil you use. It just so happen that the current dicussions are which oils are better. So do yourself a favor and re-read the op. :burn:

You are asking people for pictures of destroyed motors and opinions on what oil they think is best. That has been done in literally hundred of threads. There is like one every week.

The best oil is the one that you change every 3000 miles.

Last edited:
My choice is simple based on credible deduction. BobistheOilGuy.com has spoken great things about German Castrol 0w-30...and the Blackstone Labs used oil analysis has shown my motor to have reduced wear over Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread