I Took Advantage of the Declining Real Estate Market

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I bought improved land in a new Florida waterfront gated community. This deep water canal leads three miles to the southern portion of Tampa Bay and then into the Gulf of Mexico.

I am going to build my dock with gazebo right away, so I can dock my boat. Then I will build the house in two or three years.

All the waterfront lots are double bulkheaded so it creates your own little beach area. My lots have a unique shape and subsequently the beach area is larger and deeper.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Congrats and hope it triples in the next 10 yrs.

It actually doubled in valued the moment I signed the contract. The two developers bought the raw land, subdivided it put in the additional man-made canals, the roads, the improvement, the clubhouse and pool, double bulkhead, etc. Then they were approached by a local custom builder who arranged to buy all the lots.

Even with the downturn in the market, the builder is still selling at a good clip but he returned the last ten canal lots to the developer to help collateralize his long term debt.

I bought from the developer who just wanted the lots gone. I paid less than half of what the builder is currently selling the lots for.

This is a picture of the same boat, just not the one I own.

104236_102_pic.jpg

FordSVTFan

Established Member
this assuming it doesnt get wiped out by a hurricane in that time period

What is quite unique about this area of Florida is that the barrier peninsula that is Pinellas County protects the land east of Tampa Bay. Hurricanes in the past 100 years havent impacted this area too bad. They have either gone south by 50 - 100 miles or north of here.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Congrats! Must be nice!

Indeed it is. I am psyched. I have been looking at house plans for two days now.

I am planning on something in this style. The garages are each 40 feet deep, so I can fit four cars and still have room in the between them. Plus that leaves a 20 X 40 room off off the back at the ground level.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Frickin sweet.

My best friends family recently just bought a house that looks very similar to the one pictured above in a community called "Tiki Island" towards Galveston.

The property sits on one of the canals pictured below...

tiki555.jpg

We will be spending next weekend there. Hopefully get some good fishing in.

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
im building this as im 19 and plan on restoring my camaro soon, only gonna run me about 50k in total, but its pretty small upstairs, but i still have a living room, bedroom bathroom kitchen all that...you should have yourself a nice place when you finish!

002.jpg

GT_Jim

Established Member
Thats some nice property for sure, and that house design looks pretty sweet also.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What is quite unique about this area of Florida is that the barrier peninsula that is Pinellas County protects the land east of Tampa Bay. Hurricanes in the past 100 years havent impacted this area too bad. They have either gone south by 50 - 100 miles or north of here.

lol i see Katrina's lesson has been forgotten already.

Users who are viewing this thread