2.3 Whipple or 76mm Turbo?

Which is the best setup for a Terminator?

• 2.3 Whipple

Votes: 115 62.2%
  • 76mm Turbo

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Ported Blower

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Waste of Money

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
So I'm starting to plan ahead for the future of my car. I am considering a few routes of my car obviously and I am really looking for some feedback from those that have experience these setups. Obviously I'm not made of money by any means so ideally I'm looking at keeping the price tag of the setup below 5k give or take. As for power goals, I think I would be satisfied with 600+ HP and I know both setups could reach these numbers. Also, I'm looking for a reliable setup as well that doesn't have problems every time you drive it. I know that the turbo set would also have to be used more than likely for me to be able to afford it.

For those that have experienced one of these setups or both even...Which route did you choose and why? Do you regret it? Do anything differently?

Obviously with these setups, you are going to need supporting mods (SCT MAF, 60lb injectors, "fuel") which I'm still lacking at this point which also needs to be put into consideration in the price tag. I'm torn with whether I should invest into upgrading the fuel pumps or just stick with the BAP?

I know everyone has their own opinions but any kind of feedback is appreciated.

Ryushin

Established Member
I guess you need to ask yourself if you want any torque down low. That 76mm is going to take a long time to spool. I think the real question you should be asking yourself if you should be going with a whipple or twin turbo kit. The twin kit put's it out of your budget though. Looks at your mod's list, I don't see injectors or a fuel upgrade. So you'll need to add that to the cost as well.

Even with a twin kit, it's going to take a bit to spool. I think 50mm twin would be a nice sweet spot. Of course you could always go with a 76mm into your eaton and go compound.

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
I guess you need to ask yourself if you want any torque down low. That 76mm is going to take a long time to spool. I think the real question you should be asking yourself if you should be going with a whipple or twin turbo kit. The twin kit put's it out of your budget though. Looks at your mod's list, I don't see injectors or a fuel upgrade. So you'll need to add that to the cost as well.

Even with a twin kit, it's going to take a bit to spool. I think 50mm twin would be a nice sweet spot. Of course you could always go with a 76mm into your eaton and go compound.

I agree that the twin turbo would offer up more torque down low but for the setup it would probaly be twice what I'm willing to spend on it (10K+) and has twice as many parts to break so I'm afraid it would just turn into a large money pit.

DUMBASS

Banned
most of the twin kits seem to spool fairly close to how the single 76mm spools. I have a 76mm turbo on my car. it makes pretty good power and spools up pretty quickly. I don't think you would make anywhere close to the power i am with the 2.3 whipple. I would also say that there is no way you are goig to put a hellion system on a cobra for under 5k. The setup alone costs more than that and that does not take supporting stuff into account.

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
most of the twin kits seem to spool fairly close to how the single 76mm spools. I have a 76mm turbo on my car. it makes pretty good power and spools up pretty quickly. I don't think you would make anywhere close to the power i am with the 2.3 whipple. I would also say that there is no way you are goig to put a hellion system on a cobra for under 5k. The setup alone costs more than that and that does not take supporting stuff into account.

I do agree with you about the hellion setup being over my budget brand new but if I knew what to look for I think I could get the setup for around 5 or so possibly. Either way thats why I'm asking everyone what they think because I'm not very knowledgable in this field of power.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
A TS with all the supporting mods and tune will run you atleast 5k so my vote is for whipple/KB!!

cobracide

Established Member
A ported Eaton will never get you to 600 without nitrous. Why give up the torque down low and wait for a turbo spooling up? If you're going to be satisfied with 600rwhp, get the TS. Whipple!

Last edited:

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
DD car then go TS. Weekend racer go turbo.

I went TS and drive it everyday

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
2.3 whipple turbo is out of the question unless your money bags... ported blower really isn't a huge gain, just work on getting money for supporting mods then do whipple

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
depends on money limits ... im going 2.3... cheaper than turbo but makes awesome power for both the street and strip

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
whipple always has seemed the more logical solution as well as cheaper and probaly more reliable but I think that a turbo cobra would be even more badass.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
2.3 whipple will accomplish your goals and be the best all around. Although if you were to say you were going Auto I would probably change my answer.

76mm has the awe factor of being a pretty big turbo, but once that goes away your left with a car that doesnt have enough power down low to really make you crack a smile. The reason why I know this is my former roommate has had both (although instead of a whipple it was a KB 2.8H) If you are gonna go with a single you really dont need anything bigger then a 67mm.

OR do like others have mentioned and go twins. Nothing real big either, I would personally do twin 50's.

ETA:

I voted for the 2.3 whipple but personally I would go with a TT kit. Sure it costs more money but good things come to those who wait.

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
You can do a compound setup with the 76mm. The compound set up shouldn't any harder than just adding the single turbo system. Costs should be about the same. Instead of using a N/A intake, you'll just feed it into the eaton. You'll have dual intercoolers and your intake temps will be nice and low. Run about 5 psi from the turbo and use the stock pulley and you should be around 17 to 19 lbs of boost. Porting the eaton would only further you along. I'm really starting to favor a compound setup myself. But twins into a TVS.

Jroc

Established Member
Unless you're into racing single turbo Supra's in their element I will always vote for a Positive Displacement blower on a street car Terminator.

cobracide

Established Member
IMO NOTHING under $5K is gonna get you to 600HP.

Not safely/reliably anyway. :shrug:

Hate to burst you're bubble but a TS will do it. Proven time and time again as daily drivers. Reliability comes with some common sense. I can break any car if I try hard enough, trust me.

blowns281

GARAGE QUEEN
Established Member
I have done both, 2.3l whipple, and currently 76mm turbo, for your price range I would go with the whipple and the supporting mods.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Hate to burst you're bubble but a TS will do it. Proven time and time again as daily drivers. Reliability comes with some common sense. I can break any car if I try hard enough, trust me.

No bubble burst. :beer:

Reciepts though please......

Intake
Exhaust
Fuel
SUPERCHARGER
Handheld
DYNO

Among NUMEROUS other "little" things that add up.

NOONE is touching 600hp safely and reliably for under 5K. :read:

EDIT - If OP is talking about ADDED $$$ to his current setup then yes, it is doable. But anyone that thinks they're gonna get an 03/04, drop 5K and have a safe 600hp is very optimistic. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread