2.3 Whipple or 76mm Turbo?

Which is the best setup for a Terminator?

• 2.3 Whipple

Votes: 115 62.2%
  • 76mm Turbo

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Ported Blower

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Waste of Money

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Black Sex

Established Member
IMO, 600rwhp is plenty for the street. Unless you plan on making it a track car. Im just shy of the 500 mark and I think its plenty for the street.

boostedoval

Established Member
If you are going to be happy with around 600+ hp, Whipple for sure. I thought the same thing, but now that I have 600+ hp, I want more........:shrug: Porting the stock blower is a waste of time and money in my eyes.
If I had it to do all over again, I would have waited just a little longer and gone twin 66mm BB. The Whipple's bad ass and all, but there is nothing in this world like the feeling of turbos coming into boost. That nice smooth transition into power is where it's at. Not to mention if 600 hp is all you want then turn the boost down to 10 lbs, but if you want 850+ then all you have to do is crank that bitch up!!!!:rockon:

It's easy for us to all sit here and tell you what to do, but you have to really think about weather or not 600 is really going to do it for you........Good luck!!!:coolman:

looks like that whipple was a waste of money. you could have ran better times with a ported blower. And btw stock UNPORTED eatons trap higher than your whipple

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
It all depends on the kind of power you like your car to deliver. I've had both a 2.8H with all the goodies, and then a Hellion 76mm kit on the 04 motor and they are both fun, but in their own respect. The peak power delivery on pump gas levels is close, usully within 50whp. But power across the board is completely different. It definately changes the way the car is.

If all your friends drive Supra's and all you do is go 50-170 then a Turbo will give you a usable horsepower advantage. Keep in mind that our motors don't inherantly like that kind of racing. Turbo makes just as much heat in the engine as far as cooling is concerned. Maybe even more due to the pressure in the exhaust and inability to pull heat from the motor. Also, single kits make the exhaust sound like shit, flat out. The lag really does blow dick in close suburb areas like I live in. The motor is low compression and even being a v8 its an absolute turd out of boost and doesn't come on hard till 4 grand. The extra 50hp up top wasn't worth the 400hp loss down low.

If you want Supra style power you should buy a Supra... It's a better car trust me.

If you like big-block style power to roll around town, rev at the ladies, and lay tire on command anytime under 60mph then the twin screw is where it's at. You can see where my opinion is. I liked the Turbo but theres nothing like the delivery of a built motor, big blower combo on the street to make your car "fun" again.

Tony P.

This guy pretty much sums it all up. Really good post.

+1

I'LL B Bok

Established Member
This.

Originally Posted by heytonyman
It all depends on the kind of power you like your car to deliver. I've had both a 2.8H with all the goodies, and then a Hellion 76mm kit on the 04 motor and they are both fun, but in their own respect. The peak power delivery on pump gas levels is close, usully within 50whp. But power across the board is completely different. It definately changes the way the car is.

If all your friends drive Supra's and all you do is go 50-170 then a Turbo will give you a usable horsepower advantage. Keep in mind that our motors don't inherantly like that kind of racing. Turbo makes just as much heat in the engine as far as cooling is concerned. Maybe even more due to the pressure in the exhaust and inability to pull heat from the motor. Also, single kits make the exhaust sound like shit, flat out. The lag really does blow dick in close suburb areas like I live in. The motor is low compression and even being a v8 its an absolute turd out of boost and doesn't come on hard till 4 grand. The extra 50hp up top wasn't worth the 400hp loss down low.

If you want Supra style power you should buy a Supra... It's a better car trust me.

If you like big-block style power to roll around town, rev at the ladies, and lay tire on command anytime under 60mph then the twin screw is where it's at. You can see where my opinion is. I liked the Turbo but theres nothing like the delivery of a built motor, big blower combo on the street to make your car "fun" again.

Tony P.

This guy pretty much sums it all up. Really good post.

+1

+2 excellent summary. i've been debating the exact same thing and this thread and particularly response made up my mind. not to mention, i have no interest in taking my car to 170+mph. where the f@#k am i going to go that fast?

Last edited:

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
I've had both, went from a whipple to a 76mm turbo.
I say it all depends on what you want to do with the car.
The whipple will meet your hp goals for much cheaper as you can find one used.
The 76mm turbo will blow the doors off the whipple but will cost you $$$.
My current setup with a 76mm turbo makes 616rwhp and 656rwtq at 13lbs, TS won't do that!

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
Whipple hands down. I bought a 04 cobra in April (had a few boltons) had a shop in florida get a Whipple 2.3,full exhaust,full fuel system,boltons,EH... the list goes on with everything installed and tuned I think I spent a total of maybe $8K.

Whipple will get you 580-600rwhp on pump and 650+on race gas with smaller pulley. Plus they are fun as hell to drive and will run 10's easy. Plus you will kick almost everyones ass on the street. How often do people run into 600+hp cars on the streets, I know most times Im out and about I only see bolton mustangs or civics and shit.

Tedisky

Need more Money!!!!!
Established Member
I still think you should explore a compound set up. Take that 76mm and feed it into a ported eaton. You'll have gobs of torque and instant boost response. You'll make more power than the twin screw. Should put you somewhere close to 700rwhp, at least according to Rick at Amazon Racing (he's been doing a lot of compound setups lately). Though he's been doing a lot the the twin hellion setups lately, but he's been wanting to do a compound into a single 76mm. I'm having him research my dual sequential turbo setup that I want to go with.

This sounds like a good set-up. I might consider this set up in the future.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Whipple hands down. I bought a 04 cobra in April (had a few boltons) had a shop in florida get a Whipple 2.3,full exhaust,full fuel system,boltons,EH... the list goes on with everything installed and tuned I think I spent a total of maybe $8K.

Whipple will get you 580-600rwhp on pump and 650+on race gas with smaller pulley. Plus they are fun as hell to drive and will run 10's easy. Plus you will kick almost everyones ass on the street. How often do people run into 600+hp cars on the streets, I know most times Im out and about I only see bolton mustangs or civics and shit.

This man speaks the truth! Hell even with just my bolt on/weight reduction setup I have only lost to a handful of cars that I randomly ran into

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
I would have to agree with a lot of you in that the instant torque with the supercharger is always a plus but then again I haven't driven a turboed cobra before so I'm sure the top end is even more addiciting if you can get the power to the ground.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
....dyno numbers arent everything. Got torque are those dyno numbers for the whipple with the built motor/ higher compression and cams like you have with your Turbo setup in your sig?

Sounds like you need to go for a ride in both bro, how soon are you trying to get a whipple or turbo?

I know there are a few hellion guys in the area someone should be able to give you a ride in their turbo Cobra. You should post up over in the MACA section asking if anyone would be kind enough to let you ride in their turbo car. Heytonyman put it best though, each has their pros and cons.

If you do decide to go hellion make sure you opt for the precision turbo (I think they still have that option)

Turbonetics ftl.

Last edited:

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
....dyno numbers arent everything. Got torque are those dyno numbers for the whipple with the built motor/ higher compression and cams like you have with your Turbo setup in your sig

I posted these to show the OP the difference in the power bands and not for peak hp/tq.
Like I stated in an earlier post it depends on what he wants to do with the car.
That motor was built specifically for the turbo setup.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I posted these to show the OP the difference in the power bands and not for peak hp/tq.
Like I stated in an earlier post it depends on what he wants to do with the car.
That motor was built specifically for the turbo setup.

Understood, just trying to help make it clearer for everyone.

heytonyman

build-break-repeat
Established Member
I still think you should explore a compound set up. Take that 76mm and feed it into a ported eaton. You'll have gobs of torque and instant boost response. You'll make more power than the twin screw. Should put you somewhere close to 700rwhp, at least according to Rick at Amazon Racing (he's been doing a lot of compound setups lately). Though he's been doing a lot the the twin hellion setups lately, but he's been wanting to do a compound into a single 76mm. I'm having him research my dual sequential turbo setup that I want to go with.

Who makes this 76mm kit that will work with a blower setup? Not Hellion, i've installed that kit numerous times, there no way it will work with the secondary drive system used with all blower setups. Now your talking about a complete custom kit which $$$ not worth. HP or Hellraiser with Twin 50's with a eaton would be a blast to drive no doubt, best of both worlds, but then again stock motor? Do ya feel lucky?

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
....dyno numbers arent everything. Got torque are those dyno numbers for the whipple with the built motor/ higher compression and cams like you have with your Turbo setup in your sig?

Sounds like you need to go for a ride in both bro, how soon are you trying to get a whipple or turbo?

I know there are a few hellion guys in the area someone should be able to give you a ride in their turbo Cobra. You should post up over in the MACA section asking if anyone would be kind enough to let you ride in their turbo car. Heytonyman put it best though, each has their pros and cons.

If you do decide to go hellion make sure you opt for the precision turbo (I think they still have that option)

Turbonetics ftl.

I think that you are on to something there. It would be a great idea if someone around the area could let me ride in their car just to feel the powerband.

sc98cbra

Established Member
To each his own...

With that being said, anyone who buys an 03/04 cobra and puts a turbo on it just wasted it. These cars came from the factory with a positive displacement blower, should be kept that way.

If you want to throw a turbo or centri on something, sell your car and buy a 99/01 or something.

Users who are viewing this thread