2.3 Whipple or 76mm Turbo?

Which is the best setup for a Terminator?

• 2.3 Whipple

Votes: 115 62.2%
  • 76mm Turbo

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Ported Blower

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Waste of Money

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
To each his own...

With that being said, anyone who buys an 03/04 cobra and puts a turbo on it just wasted it. These cars came from the factory with a positive displacement blower, should be kept that way.

If you want to throw a turbo or centri on something, sell your car and buy a 99/01 or something.

:poke:

Thanks for preaching.
TO EACH THEIR OWN!

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Well I drove a whipple cobra the other day and all I have to say is WOW it was way to much fun. So I will be getting a whipple. The power is right there at anytime and the thing pulls hard all the way through the rpm band. Whipple FTW

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Well I drove a whipple cobra the other day and all I have to say is WOW it was way to much fun. So I will be getting a whipple. The power is right there at anytime and the thing pulls hard all the way through the rpm band. Whipple FTW
:rockon:

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
with your bugit and what you are looking for id say go with the 2.3 that's what im running and on a 4lb lower and 3.5 upper im at 575 and 550 at the wheels and that's on a conservative tune :beer:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I had a Hellion single T76. Its an awesome feeling when it hits,but you don't hit major power until 3500+ rpms. Eaton/Whipple/KB obviously you will have it whenever you hit the gas. For a street car go TS, unless you like the wow factor of a turbo car. If you want a turbo car go buy a supra, skyline or even an SR20 swap Nissan 240. Mod motor cobras just take too long to make power on the street. If you are really into drag racing them turbo is the way to go I think. If you compare a singe T76 Hellion car to a whipple 2.3 car @ say 15#'s of boost the #'s will be quite different on a dyno. If you want a strip car or dyno car then go turbo. For a fun street car the TS is where its at.

I do miss that T76 feeling when it hits max boost though. That is a feeling you just can't get from a TS car. If you wanted a compound setup with a single turbo there is a guy on here who did one and even has a thread about it. I forget his name though. It was a custom kit.

A TT kit with 50-60 mm turbos would be fun too I think. Wouldn't take much to spool them on the street either. Just don't buy the HP kit.

rufus5.0

Established Member
dump both call mr bell he will get u more hp but an even whipple will give u more torque but me its all about hp

rufus5.0

Established Member
To each his own...

With that being said, anyone who buys an 03/04 cobra and puts a turbo on it just wasted it. These cars came from the factory with a positive displacement blower, should be kept that way.

If you want to throw a turbo or centri on something, sell your car and buy a 99/01 or something.

nice ride my man i agree

2001BlackCobra

Established Member
Nothing pulls like a turbo car if you've never ridden in a high hp turbo car then u don't know what you are missing. when u can actually race and beat bikes on the street i promise you you will see that it pulls like a mofo. and i'm so tired of hearing people say its too laggy, its bull ,when that turbo starts spooling u will catch and pass anything everyone always says that from seeing a video of a dyno pull but u have to realize if u are racing u are pretty much going thru the gears full throttle and the rpms never come down so it stays in boost so there is only a split second when its not in boost.

vulture

Established Member
Cheap route id say ported eaton with a 50 shot and supporting mods. That small hit of NOS with good tuning isnt anything to worry about , the bottle will last , and just like someone else said , your still running around with a 500whp car .

Otherwise , id go compound 76mm like Ryu keeps insisting . For those of you who dont understand compound , you need to research it . On the street youll have all the low end youve always had , and take your ass to the track and boost that basterd till the heads lift . The skys the limit on compound .

03cobrarocks

Established Member
To each his own...

yea it sure is a waist to take something off your car that is less effiecent, harder on the drivetrain, makes less power, shreds belts, doesnt pull up top and just roasts the tires down low, and put someonething on that is more effiecent, easier on the drivetrain, and pulls up top like a mofo :poke:

o btw I got a solid axle, I bet you are one of those people that say I "basterdized" a cobra :lol:

goat-ee

Established Member
I only have the bastard 96-98 Cobra. It's a fatass convertible on the stock longblock with the sissy single 62mm Hellion. No rear suspension work, I run out of gear and turn 7400rpm at the stripe. The BFG DR's are old and don't hook, I am old and can't drive. It's a manual transmission and everyone knows that a turbo wants an automatic. I still haven't installed the 2-step so I can't build boost at the line.

Still turned a 12.2 @ 119mph on 9psi. The car will roast the tires RIGHT NOW and there is virtually no lag (the 62mm helps that).

Get the suspension down right, install the 2-step, get some slicks, install the 3.55 gear and I am pretty sure the car will pull 11.50's @ 120+mph. Not bad for what the car is, I can't imagine what it would do with your guy's longblock!! If your ONLY wanting 600rwhp, you DONT need the 76mm. How about something inbetween, say in high 60's to low 70 mm turbo. My 62mm has virutually no lag, so even a 70mm shouldn't be much lag at all!!

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I say twin screw

these are my dyno sheets from my fully built 2000 GT

the first is a Novi 2000 centri blower which at that level makes boost similar to a turbo set up

the second is on the exact same engine with a blower change to a 2.2 KB. look at the power curves. Regardless of the peak hoesepower which do you think was more fun to drive. I was disappointed with 708 RWHP b/c as someone else said about their turbo set up out of boost my car was a turd until +4K rpms. The KB on the other hand is insane in every gear at every rpm.

709dyno.jpg

640rwhp.jpg

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
how about a whipple on E85...everyone that has converted over to E85 is seeing insane performance on the pump gas.

You will see even more benefits out of a turbo setup running E85.:beer:

If you haven't driven/ridden in a high horsepower turbo car..... nothing else is like it. The power comes on so fast and so strong that it's scary..... feels much faster than any car with the power right on tap. I love big turbos on street cars..... retain their street driving manners perfectly, great fuel mileage, and once uncorked, will pull on anything.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
how about a whipple on E85...everyone that has converted over to E85 is seeing insane performance on the pump gas.
+1 :rockon:

how much does this "converted" process cost? Just wondering never heard of it
It doesn't cost anything more than adding about 30% more fuel to your car and a retune.

You will see even more benefits out of a turbo setup running E85.:beer: .
Yes! You are correct. :thumbsup:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Since i have neighter, i would take either. But since u asked i would take the broader power range and the turbo cost a ton more. I would take that money and save a new bottom half.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Whipple 2.3 or a KB

I have a 3.50 upper, stock lower Whipple and traction is a matter of finesse.
That's ok though because I've driven turbos and they have a very different street feel. For drags a Turbo + trans brake + 2 step + built rear = INSANE strip car.

I personally like the way my car drives better, it reminds me of the BIG BLOCK big inch cars I used to drive, except it'll go around corners and stop when I need it to.

Yes I am older than a lot of you guys, but I don't feel like I need 600 rwhp, it's just a number. If you can't get it hooked what good is it?
I don't like running around on drag radials all the time the carcass is kinda fragile IMHO for the roads around here, then there's the rain.:nonono: I run a sticky autocross tire that heats up pretty quick and they do ok.

I'm only 533 RWHP and it is WAY more than I need, the third gear top end pull is INSANE!!! I can't even imagine driving around with much more. There is now way I can use WOT in first or second unless you preheat the tires and it's a hot summer day. I drove my buddies FORD GT w/ over 740 RWHP and I thought I was going to need an adult diaper.:eek: Scared the **** out of me! It was fun though!:coolman:

Fuel octane availability coupled with fuel expense should be factored in your research.
Don't cheap out on supporting mods Fuel delivery and air flow monitoring are CRITICAL!
Forth gear top end runs with stock piston to wall clearance and relatively stock cooling will kill an engine in one or two runs.
Don't do it.

Have fun with the car, build what you can afford AND SUSTAIN.

Someone has always got something faster.

Users who are viewing this thread