2.3 Whipple or 76mm Turbo?

Which is the best setup for a Terminator?

• 2.3 Whipple

Votes: 115 62.2%
  • 76mm Turbo

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Ported Blower

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Waste of Money

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
No bubble burst. :beer:

Reciepts though please......

Intake
Exhaust
Fuel
SUPERCHARGER
Handheld
DYNO

Among NUMEROUS other "little" things that add up.

NOONE is touching 600hp safely and reliably for under 5K. :read:

EDIT - If OP is talking about ADDED $$$ to his current setup then yes, it is doable. But anyone that thinks they're gonna get an 03/04, drop 5K and have a safe 600hp is very optimistic. :beer:

Under 5 grand I agree, it will be really hard to do even if you do your own work. AROUND 5 grand yeah it could be done, but your gonna be doing most of the work yourself minus the dynotune.

Last edited:

Impact 5.0

Established Member
I am going to say 2.3L but I am getting best of both worlds.. My Cobra has the Whipple and my 05 is being built with a 76mm Turbo kit,.

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
Well ignoring the 5k range because that was just a ballpark estimate but still keeping in mine a budget, it seems like its a heavily favored opinion for the whipple.

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
port + spray FTW

edit: filling a bottle isnt really all that big of a pain.. besides.. you run around town making a solid 525 rwhp.. not demanding much out of your motor.. and when it comes time to drag some ass, put the bottle in and make us a few vids

Last edited:

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
port + spray FTW

edit: filling a bottle isnt really all that big of a pain.. besides.. you run around town making a solid 525 rwhp.. not demanding much out of your motor.. and when it comes time to drag some ass, put the bottle in and make us a few vids

Any twinscrew blower and have the nitrous ready when you need to take down some big dogs.

I'm sure that would be a nasty combination but regardless, I have never felt comfortable with nitrous.

Nino S

Established Member
I think that it is going to be hard to get there under $5k unless you are installing everything and just having it tuned. all new parts and blower will get you close to $4500 if you go all out. Blower, 60 lb, modified FPDM, GT pumps, plugs, pulley's etc.
For a stupid street/occasional 1/4 car I love my 2.6H Kenne Bell, screams almost as loud as the 2.2. Cant go wrong either way, it all comes down to the money

Black Sex

Established Member
What if you went with a slightly used T.S. for like 2-3K. You might even find one with most of the supporting mods.
My vote is T.S. Remember TQ is what you feel, not horsepower

03cobrarocks

Established Member
why not a 3.4 whipple or 2.8kb and get something inbetween your two questioned setups?

Anyway I have ran into the same problem you have and can never make up my mind lets look at the pros and cons of both:

Twin Screw Pros- Sounds really good, compliments the exhaust, you can blip the throttle and feel the torque and scare soccer moms, cheaper, a really easy swap, less parts to break/mess up

Twin Screw Cons- less potiental power wise, can get annoying when you want at least a little traction on the street but only boil the tires, little harder on the drivetrain, have to change the pulley/belt everytime you want to change boost, seems like a ton of terminator owners have one

Turbo pros- more power potiential, sounds awesome at wot, can adjust boost with a controller, once you do all the piping and such you can get a new turbo if you wish for a reasonable price, lag might help with traction, I hardly see any turbo cobras

Turbo cons- cost more, usually have to do a lot more stuff to get decent times at the track ex: two step, makes the exhaust sound like poop compared to a blower car (IMO), lag (which I think people make too big a deal about), seems like they are having to be tuned everytime you turn around, have to get a tubular suspension (comes with most kits I know)

that just seems to be what I have collected from looking stuff up myself

heytonyman

build-break-repeat
Established Member
It all depends on the kind of power you like your car to deliver. I've had both a 2.8H with all the goodies, and then a Hellion 76mm kit on the 04 motor and they are both fun, but in their own respect. The peak power delivery on pump gas levels is close, usully within 50whp. But power across the board is completely different. It definately changes the way the car is.

If all your friends drive Supra's and all you do is go 50-170 then a Turbo will give you a usable horsepower advantage. Keep in mind that our motors don't inherantly like that kind of racing. Turbo makes just as much heat in the engine as far as cooling is concerned. Maybe even more due to the pressure in the exhaust and inability to pull heat from the motor. Also, single kits make the exhaust sound like shit, flat out. The lag really does blow dick in close suburb areas like I live in. The motor is low compression and even being a v8 its an absolute turd out of boost and doesn't come on hard till 4 grand. The extra 50hp up top wasn't worth the 400hp loss down low.

If you want Supra style power you should buy a Supra... It's a better car trust me.

If you like big-block style power to roll around town, rev at the ladies, and lay tire on command anytime under 60mph then the twin screw is where it's at. You can see where my opinion is. I liked the Turbo but theres nothing like the delivery of a built motor, big blower combo on the street to make your car "fun" again.

Tony P.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
I'd go twin screw. Some of the big blowers w/large inlet cars are putting down power that is close, if not equal to some turbo cars.

03rd SVT

Established Member
If you are going to be happy with around 600+ hp, Whipple for sure. I thought the same thing, but now that I have 600+ hp, I want more........:shrug: Porting the stock blower is a waste of time and money in my eyes.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have waited just a little longer and gone twin 66mm BB. The Whipple's bad ass and all, but there is nothing in this world like the feeling of turbos coming into boost. That nice smooth transition into power is where it's at. Not to mention if 600 hp is all you want then turn the boost down to 10 lbs, but if you want 850+ then all you have to do is crank that bitch up!!!!:rockon:

It's easy for us to all sit here and tell you what to do, but you have to really think about weather or not 600 is really going to do it for you........Good luck!!!:coolman:

Ryushin

Established Member
I still think you should explore a compound set up. Take that 76mm and feed it into a ported eaton. You'll have gobs of torque and instant boost response. You'll make more power than the twin screw. Should put you somewhere close to 700rwhp, at least according to Rick at Amazon Racing (he's been doing a lot of compound setups lately). Though he's been doing a lot the the twin hellion setups lately, but he's been wanting to do a compound into a single 76mm. I'm having him research my dual sequential turbo setup that I want to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread