3.27 gear for high-hp applications?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
I'm putting a new setup on my car in the coming months, all in anticipation for TX2k10 in Houston, this will be my 5th year attending the week long event and have been doing some thinking. since the majority of the action is on the streets, what are ya'lls thoughts on going to a 3.27 rear end gear. I'm gonna go with a KB @19psi with a shot of nitrous....am i wrong in thinking that the car will be more controlled on the hit when the 800ft/lbs hit?

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
probley so but if you cant hook i would work on suspension and tires before i put a higher gear in it. Putting an automatic in it would also be a good idea on a fast car.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
no auto for me......main reason for this is to really be able to use every gear optimally
anyone?

KILRSVT

Established Member
well with 327 you will lose some of that quick climb of the rpm's the taller gears will make every gear "longer"...it will increase your mph and your gas mileage as well.. but i think the stock 3.55 are pretty good for your set up...maybe some good sticky tires would be the way to go.

cobracide

Established Member
Hmmm.. unless your doing some top speed runs, why bother? Learn to throttle the gas instead of flooring it and spinning the tires. A balance of horsepower and traction, yes?

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i think this is a good call...

if your going to be making 750rwhp and 800ish tq the 3.27 gears will be great. i would do the same thing if i was you.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Hmmm.. unless your doing some top speed runs, why bother? Learn to throttle the gas instead of flooring it and spinning the tires. A balance of horsepower and traction, yes?

it's hard to peddle a nitrous/blower car.......

my thoughts are that if i'm spraying the blower and it comes on at WOT when i lay into it at 3k rpm, with a 3.27 gear i'm not gonna be shocking the rear as hard and i'll be able to start in 2nd from most roll starts on the highway. and then at the track, i'm gonna be laying the same power down, if not more, but not have traction issues and my gears will be longer.

cobracide

Established Member

my thoughts are that if i'm spraying the blower and it comes on at WOT when i lay into it at 3k rpm, with a 3.27 gear i'm not gonna be shocking the rear as hard and i'll be able to start in 2nd from most roll starts on the highway. and then at the track, i'm gonna be laying the same power down, if not more, but not have traction issues and my gears will be longer.

Sounds like a good idea and sound logic - give it a try.

Venimus03

Established Member
I think 3.55's and 28's would work best for your set up. I've know a few people with high hp setup's and the 3.55's worked great.

NVR_LFT

OTW racing
Established Member
3.27's all the way, if you have problems movin out in the lower rpm I know there is a bigger drill bit layin around somewhere for that nitrous port....

Jills03

Established Member

I have a 3.4 Whipple and a C4 and I put 3.27s in mine for the same reason. I'm still having some traction issues going from a dig on the street but I do think the gears helped.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
crazy for me to believe that none of ya'll have done this.....oh well, looks like i'm throwin the 3.27 in next week

cobracide

Established Member
Let us know how it works out - should kick ass with spray. Maybe a bit of a dog without spray (compared to other TS with 3.55 gears).

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
What about 3.31s? Didn't turbovnom have decent luck with them on his eaton car? It'd probably be less of a dog than the 3.27s?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Doubt it'd be much of a difference.
And I don't see a car making over 700ft/lbs being much of a dog, so I'm kinda confused....if you re-read my reasoning as to why I'm considering the swap, you'll see it's not for a 480rwhp setup. I guess we will see next week

rufus5.0

Established Member
my friend just recently moved from 355 to 373 with 630 rwhp ran same et went 9mph faster in qtr i wouldnt switch if anything leave the 55s in

Users who are viewing this thread