3.27 gear for high-hp applications?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
finally got an appointment for next monday.....i'll give ya'll a review when i pick her up
i'm pumped about this one

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
I had 3.27's (stock 02GT rear) when i first installed my SRA. I loved the highway mileage. I got 385 to a tank of gas and that was with the low fuel light just coming on. DO IT.. you will like it.. I LOVED EM and miss em.

RoadRash

Established Member
I had 3.27's (stock 02GT rear) when i first installed my SRA. I loved the highway mileage. I got 385 to a tank of gas and that was with the low fuel light just coming on. DO IT.. you will like it.. I LOVED EM and miss em.

That's funny, with my mix of city/highway driving (about 50%/50%), I'm getting worse mileage! was getting about 11-12mpg with 3.73's and now with 3.27's, I'm getting 10mpg :shrug: .. Its probably the newness factor. I'm getting on it all the time and winding out the gears .. lol

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
That's funny, with my mix of city/highway driving (about 50%/50%), I'm getting worse mileage! was getting about 11-12mpg with 3.73's and now with 3.27's, I'm getting 10mpg :shrug: .. Its probably the newness factor. I'm getting on it all the time and winding out the gears .. lol

I never really pay attention to what i get city but this was a northern Cal to Southern Cal trip that had me logging the miles that particular day...I remember having 220 miles cleared from a full tank to the halfway line.

stanzione88

Established Member
I think 3.27s are good for high hp cars, i know a cobra that ran 10.50s and trapped 139 in the 1/4 on a ported sprayed setup full weight with 3.27s.
Im going with 3.31s on my setup, 03 cobra motor, elec. water pump, longtubes, no ac, no ps, whipple 2.3 1st gen with 2.75 pulley stock lower, tuned on e85.
this is going into a coupe, so long gears are a must for me.

Let me know how you like the 3.27s.

03snakeminated

Established Member
yeah bud if your car is going to be a highway warrior [not a 1/4 racer] I think you'll be more pleased w/ the 3.27's, let us know how it goes and show some of them supras who's the boss :beer:

03snakeminated

Established Member
i've always wondered what mph 4th gear would top out w/ 3.27's [for some reason I thought 160] but I guess road rash already answered that...

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
after all the snow we had, it's finally at the shop now.....blew 3rd gear up so that's being tended to first, then the gear goes in
this has drug on, i know...but i will have a review for you guys soon

yellow03vert

Established Member
I think it should work out great foe what you want to do. I am going with 3.27's in the spring for my car to help spool up the turbo.

NVR_LFT

OTW racing
Established Member
after all the snow we had, it's finally at the shop now.....blew 3rd gear up so that's being tended to first, then the gear goes in
this has drug on, i know...but i will have a review for you guys soon

All the snow... ya right... you just got it in there cause your scared of ol whitey here goin twin turbo. hahahaha. I'll try to be up in lubbock next week before you head out of town so we can test out the new gears.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
All the snow... ya right... you just got it in there cause your scared of ol whitey here goin twin turbo. hahahaha. I'll try to be up in lubbock next week before you head out of town so we can test out the new gears.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Just got the car back from the gear swap and i must say, i am SUPER impressed with the way it pulls throughout the RPM band from all gears. I havn't had a chance to get any runs in yet, but the car is soooo responsive at any gear now. It's fun to blow the tires away but it doesn't get you anywhere.....now my gears are useful and the car just flat out HAULS ASS!!!!
i'll try to post some vids this week

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Yeah Rob, got the tranny fixed and beefed up as well as new IRS bushings and the 3.27 gear

Users who are viewing this thread