3.27 gear for high-hp applications?

rufus5.0

Established Member
not to be a book reader muscle mustang fast ford got same result on 03 cobra thats why we tried worked for us

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
sniperdog, could you give a little insight on the 3.27 gear in a higher hp application.
my main questions are:
1. How does the car feel in 1st and 2nd gear.
2. How has the way the car pulls changed, especially in the higher rpm
3. What's the highest speed you can start races at in 2nd gear, and how does the car feel right off the hit?
4. Did you have any before/after races with certain cars to see where you lost a little, gained a little, or was anything really gained/lost?
5. I'm making approximately 60rwhp more than your setup and 20rwtq. so i'd assume i'll have a little more all over the rpm band but if you like it at your power level, i'd think it'd be just that much harder of a pull.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
my gears got done the same time as the KB, so I don't really have a before and after :shrug:

but, I have zero issues with flooring it in 1st,(unless it's cold out :-D) and I do love hitting 2nd gear while doing 60, and surprising some people.,. I am very happy with my gears, also, keep in mind, this is a DD and not a car that has ever been to a track

HBH told me it hooked up very well considering the power compared to other cars he had tuned, and also, my rear wheels were widend to 11 in :thumbsup: with DR's

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
awesome, i also have 11" rears with 335 Hoosiers.
I'm not a dragstrip guy, and don't plan on putting a cage in mine so a solid axle with 3.73's isn't for me. I do all my racing on the street, and i am looking for a gear that is longer, helps my 3rd and 4th gears as well, and allows me to start in 2nd more from higher speeds

RoadRash

Established Member
sniperdog, could you give a little insight on the 3.27 gear in a higher hp application.
my main questions are:
1. How does the car feel in 1st and 2nd gear.
2. How has the way the car pulls changed, especially in the higher rpm
3. What's the highest speed you can start races at in 2nd gear, and how does the car feel right off the hit?
4. Did you have any before/after races with certain cars to see where you lost a little, gained a little, or was anything really gained/lost?
5. I'm making approximately 60rwhp more than your setup and 20rwtq. so i'd assume i'll have a little more all over the rpm band but if you like it at your power level, i'd think it'd be just that much harder of a pull.

I just went from a TS with 3.73's to 3.27's (see sig for mods). Most people are against it and sniperdog helped convince me. I love these gears!!

1. Car feels great in 1st and 2nd. I can still take off just off idle if I want. Its been cold and I haven't had an dig races yet.
2. Car pulls awesome! it pulls longer in each gear. I certainly don't notice any feeling of less power. (feels as strong as with 3.73's)
3. You can do a 40 roll @4500 in 1st or a 60 roll @ 4500 in 2nd. I now drop to 3rd on the highway for an 80 roll @ 4500 and it runs out to 153mph @6500 in 4th. With the 3.73's I would have to drop to 4th gear on the highway roll and would top out at 134mph @6500 in 4th (hits way too fast).

I'd say go for it! Its one of the best mods I have done after the TS! I see no downsides to this (for a street car with a TS).

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
perfect!!!
thanks for the input ya'll! for an eaton car i dont think i'd go for it but making mid-600's i was torn over the idea for a while. i have the 3.27 gear, and a local shop that is gonna do all the work in a trade for a pair of chrome 04 cobra wheels/tires.

looking forward to TX2k10's street action with this setup. thanks a lot guys!

cobracide

Established Member
I have some 3.27's out of a 2001 Cobra, pm me if you're interested. Less than 15k mi on them. I swapped them out for 4.10's.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
is the gear ratio/speedometer controlled by speedo gears in our cars or is this something that is in the tuning software?
also, will i need to get my car on the dyno or should everything remain the same

RoadRash

Established Member
is the gear ratio/speedometer controlled by speedo gears in our cars or is this something that is in the tuning software?
also, will i need to get my car on the dyno or should everything remain the same

Our gear ratio is in the computer. Should be able to change it with a handheld tuner. My XCal2 doesn't seem to have an option for it, I just need to have Hermann update my tune but I have seen others that have an option for it. Right now I am using a speedo app for my Droid that uses the gps. The speedo is about 10mph off at 40mph (40 is 50) - I had 3.73's before.

You shouldn't have to dyno the car with a gear change. I am interested to see if the hp/tq numbers change with just a gear change though. I going to get tuned again soon so we will see.

MrSwa

Established Member
The hp/tq numbers will change, but how much is the question. The different gear ratio coupled with physically different parts will cause different amount of drivetrain loss. This will obviously affects how much tq and there by hp makes it to the ground.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
perfect!!!
thanks for the input ya'll! for an eaton car i dont think i'd go for it but making mid-600's i was torn over the idea for a while. i have the 3.27 gear, and a local shop that is gonna do all the work in a trade for a pair of chrome 04 cobra wheels/tires.

looking forward to TX2k10's street action with this setup. thanks a lot guys!

You're trading 4 Chrome 03/04 Cobra wheels WITH tires for a gear install? Seems to me you might be getting ripped unless the wheels are in shitty condition and the tires are shot.

Gear install should only be a couple hundred bucks. Anymore than $300, I'd walk away.

EDIT: Just saw you said pair of wheels and tires, okay that's not as bad of a deal as I was thinking. I assumed it was all 4 wheels and tires.

You will be able to change the ratio in your handheld or by your tuner. No, you will not need to get your car on the dyno. Everything should remain the same.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
yeah chris, just a pair....they've been sooo damn hard to sell w/o my 10.5 replicas that i had and this trade came up in conversation so i figured i might as well. plus this guy's been lookin for a pair of stock fronts with tires in chrome for a while.

should really be a highway monster....which is honestly what i'm looking for. don't want to put a cage/solid/auto etc in the car and make it a dedicated 1/4 car. i'm looking forward to the different gear/mph race starts

what are the chances that you roll down with the guys from 1%.net for TX2k10???

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
The hp/tq numbers will change, but how much is the question. The different gear ratio coupled with physically different parts will cause different amount of drivetrain loss. This will obviously affects how much tq and there by hp makes it to the ground.

should dyno higher, right?

Users who are viewing this thread