Any other cooling mod ideas? Getting a Dual Fan H/E

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have vans h/e as well as the 170* thermostat and m&r's tank and I'm quite happy with how cool my car runs compared to how I would get heat soak two summers ago with just the afco non fan h/e

que4dog

Established Member
I've have been looking at the KC since my 03 days. If cooling is your only concern, it can not be beat but that does not mean that the dual fan HE will not meet your needs because it may do what you need it to do.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I just completed the install of my Revan Racing heat exchanger yesterday, and I know it gets the job done good enough for my use of the car. I data logged IAT1, IAT2, throttle position, vehicle speed, spark advance, and rpm. I forgot to log ECT, but the car was already up to 200*F coolant temps when the log was started.

Ambient temperature 78*F (taken from weather.com)

Scan was began at hot start up idle

Here is the screen shot.

IATtesting.gif

I really didn't notice a difference in part throttle or WOT temps. There was a constant average difference of temps between IAT1 and IAT2 of 25-30*F. This screen shot was taken at the max speed achieved of 120 mph. You will notice that spark advance was still at 22*, and IAT2 was at 117*F. I'm assuming the custom tune is set to cut spark at 130*F, but the max IAT2 temp logged was 122*F (from initial hot start idle at the beginning of the log event). This is all I need for how I drive the car.

I have to say, it does what it's supposed to do. Since this is a Florida car, and it's spring time, I used plain water with Red Line water wetter, and ~ 1/2 quart of green anti freeze (only to eliminate the foaming effects of Water Wetter).

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I have vans h/e as well as the 170* thermostat and m&r's tank and I'm quite happy with how cool my car runs compared to how I would get heat soak two summers ago with just the afco non fan h/e

Yup. The Reische Performance thermostat makes a big difference even on the stock Radiator.

That along with a Heat Exchanger upgrade is a good start for most.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Yup. The Reische Performance thermostat makes a big difference even on the stock Radiator.

What temperature does your cooling system regulate at when using this thermostat? With the stock T-stat, it's right at 200*F.

When you install a cooler T-stat, what high and low fan settings are recommended?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
What temperature does your cooling system regulate at when using this thermostat? With the stock T-stat, it's right at 200*F.

When you install a cooler T-stat, what high and low fan settings are recommended?

My ECT likes to party at 178-182. Never goes much higher even when beating on it.

I'm sure it will help in your climate.

Edit: http://reischeperformance.com/F5.4DOHCdata.html

I was the guinea pig for this stat. It works.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks,

after searching I discovered that page as well. It makes you wonder, how does the cooler temps effect your oil.

Thread is on the way, as this has my brain spinning again.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Wow I know it's more money and all, but I'm really surprised the KillerChiller is not already well known over here in GT500ville.

Some of my Terminator guys even open track with it.
If I had the dough I would have done it 3 years ago, though I would have not deleted the H/E and I would route the lines to go to the H/E right after the intercooler, then the Chiller, then into the intercooler.

That's just in case it can't keep up during a 20 minute session.

Tiger Racing makes a hood for S197s since they are the supplier for the BOSS302S road racer hoods. One of these on a GT500 would keep ECTs cooler without a doubt, as long as you are moving. There is no cooling advantage on a parked car with this hood.

I'm not sure how the fitment would be on the GT500 front end though, it may be too different.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Wow I know it's more money and all, but I'm really surprised the KillerChiller is not already well known over here in GT500ville.

Some of my Terminator guys even open track with it.
If I had the dough I would have done it 3 years ago, though I would have not deleted the H/E and I would route the lines to go to the H/E right after the intercooler, then the Chiller, then into the intercooler.

That's just in case it can't keep up during a 20 minute session.

Tiger Racing makes a hood for S197s since they are the supplier for the BOSS302S road racer hoods. One of these on a GT500 would keep ECTs cooler with out a doubt, as long as you are moving. There is no cooling advantage on a parked car with this hood.

I'm not sure how the fitment would be on the GT500 front end though, it may be too different.

I got this info from Tiger:

We did fit our new hood on a 2008 GT500 KR and it just touched the Ford Racing strut brace, but so did the stock hood so we are not making any changes. Cleared everything else with no issues, very close to the expansion cap tank, but not a problem.

Sounds like it's going to be tight, especially those with bigger blowers.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

We did fit our new hood on a 2008 GT500 KR and it just touched the Ford Racing strut brace, but so did the stock hood so we are not making any changes. Cleared everything else with no issues, very close to the expansion cap tank, but not a problem.

It may not be that helpful for hard core drag racers, with all the idling in the staging lanes, but the street and open track guys are almost always rolling, if you are moving it's sucking air through the radiator.

For the OP, his usage description sounds to me like a perfect fit for a KillerChiller, almost text book perfect.

For guys that don't want even three degrees of temp increase on the A/Cs output, then Van's H/E w/ fans is the way to go, even parked at a light or in the staging lanes it's going to keep cooling the I/C fluid down to ambient.

DaFreak

Established Member
post #45 has been upgraded with more accurate data logging using SCT LiveLink

Good stuff Beast. Ever consider starting a HE analysis thread similar to your oil thread? It would be super cool to compile all our HE logging results into one analysis. I have the Afco Dual Fan HE and that would be awesome to see side by side with others.

Any plans to upgrade your radiator too? I just got Van's rad installed yesterday and I would love to see a before and after compare like this. I would have done this myself but I didn't do the before logging :shrug:

Let me know if you do decide to do this compare as I can add my after install data points to your analysis.

DaFreak

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/744503-my-trip-reno-1-06-2011-a.html

Me32 was the one who test fit it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Good stuff Beast. Ever consider starting a HE analysis thread similar to your oil thread? It would be super cool to compile all our HE logging results into one analysis. I have the Afco Dual Fan HE and that would be awesome to see side by side with others.

Let me know if you do decide to do this compare as I can add my after install data points to your analysis.

DaFreak

Sounds like a good idea, we should work on this together. The list is in the order I expect the results to favor (last being the best performer), but just because I feel the KC will yield the lowest numbers doesn't mean other HE setups won't get the job done for the intended application. I'm very pleased with my Revan/C&R HE!

07-10 OEM HE

vs.

2011 OEM HE

vs.

AFCO

vs.

Shelby/Revan/C&R

vs.

Killer Chiller

Any plans to upgrade your radiator too? I just got Van's rad installed yesterday and I would love to see a before and after compare like this. I would have done this myself but I didn't do the before logging :shrug:

No, I'm just going to change the thermostat to a 170*, lower the fan settings, and call it a day. No need to spend another 800.00 for a car that will never see a day of road racing.

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
Sounds like a good idea, we should work on this together. The list is in the order I expect the results to favor (last being the best performer), but just because I feel the KC will yield the lowest numbers doesn't mean other HE setups won't get the job done for the intended application. I'm very pleased with my Revan/C&R HE!

07-10 OEM HE

vs.

2011 OEM HE

vs.

AFCO

vs.

Shelby/Revan/C&R

vs.

Killer Chiller

No, I'm just going to change the thermostat to a 170*, lower the fan settings, and call it a day. No need to spend another 800.00 for a car that will never see a day of road racing.

I,m in Beast. I have a XCT X3 for logging. Let me know how you want to proceed.

DaFreak

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I,m in Beast. I have a XCT X3 for logging. Let me know how you want to proceed.

DaFreak

What heat exchanger is currently on your car?

You would need to download and install SCT LiveLink on your laptop, if you haven't done so already.

Then you need to setup the datalog to map

ECT - engine coolant temp
IAT1 - intake air (MAF)
IAT2 - intake air (after intercooler)
VSS - Vehicle speed sensor
RPM - duh, lol
TPS - throttle position sensor
Spark advance

Bring the car up to normal temperature, and begin the data log from a hot idle.

Users who are viewing this thread