CJ,SCJ,CAMS etc.

pufferfish

Established Member
makes sense. now that i think about it, my friend worked in a foundry back home in WI and they made castings for cranks for a number of manufacturers.

on another note, was there a billet option? i got a custom cam for my old pushrod motor and did billet. they are more stable at high rpm with big loads such as the giant valvesprings needed for OHV engines and big rpm.

darreng505

Established Member
After this mornings "nag call" to comp, they said some cores have been checked in, but project status' haven't been updated yet. Monday should bring more info. Forgot to ask about billet.

darreng505

Established Member
so, you getting cams in time to debut the new power at next weekend's nasa event?

No. I have to pass on that event. Sending the car to Pheonix motorsport (the imsa race team) for caging. Front dampers need servicing too.

On the bright side MMR is trying to get me the cam specs today. Im still on the wait list for cores.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Interested to see how these compare loosing the ability to control timing events in the lower RPM. I'm sure your peak numbers will be great, curve performance however, has me concerned. Since you're going all out, have you considered going EWP also, while you're in there ?

darreng505

Established Member
How did you do at Summit Sunday Darren?
Steve

Steve, nice catching you on your way out Saturday.
As for my track time, I determined that my front dampers have ZERO psi of nitrogren, my front is out of alignment and my brakes started howling under load and I was on straight summer tires. So basically no front suspension and squealing tires the whole time! lol

Interested to see how these compare loosing the ability to control timing events in the lower RPM. I'm sure your peak numbers will be great, curve performance however, has me concerned. Since you're going all out, have you considered going EWP also, while you're in there ?

I hadn't considered that. But will look into it. The thing about the RPMs is that I won't be using any of the low RPMS.
This is a pure full-on race car and I've designed my gearing, shift points, trans, rear, everything around RPMS and shift points for two tracks near me. Thus, I will be in the 4500-8000 RPM range all the time, if not higher.

By the way, I DID get the cam specs from MMR and was asked not to disclose them publicly ;) But let me say this, 550-560rwhp is in range with this build. All motor.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Steve, nice catching you on your way out Saturday.
As for my track time, I determined that my front dampers have ZERO psi of nitrogren, my front is out of alignment and my brakes started howling under load and I was on straight summer tires. So basically no front suspension and squealing tires the whole time! lol

I hadn't considered that. But will look into it. The thing about the RPMs is that I won't be using any of the low RPMS.
This is a pure full-on race car and I've designed my gearing, shift points, trans, rear, everything around RPMS and shift points for two tracks near me. Thus, I will be in the 4500-8000 RPM range all the time, if not higher.

By the way, I DID get the cam specs from MMR and was asked not to disclose them publicly ;) But let me say this, 550-560rwhp is in range with this build. All motor.

550-560rwhp on 93 or your race fuel? Cams only? Are you touching the heads any? Still staying at 8000rpms?
Do you have an up to date time frame when you will have ur car dyno'd?

darreng505

Established Member
MMR said they just dynod a car with these cams on a NA coyote that rated over 600 at the crank.

Its not just cams. Intake. TB etc.
I will do the E85 tune in the fall which i might need to get there but im only guessing 550ish based on some feedback.

Anything over 500 and im pleased.

Cams arrive next week. So dyno info probably within 3 weeks.

darreng505

Established Member
Last I spoke to the COMP (two Fridays ago) they said all my cores were in and going through QA and should have shipped lat last week. So I guess any day now.
But my car has been delivered to the Phoenix race team for cagework now anyway, so the engine build will have to wait. And yes, I'm disappointed in the wait. But it will be glorious when done.

I will post dyno charts and idle/exhaust videos.

darreng505

Established Member
Mid September at SUMMIT with SCCA, then early Oct with NASA at VIR for pro comp! Following your trans thread and I feel your pain!

F.D.Sako

Established Member
ya... looks like I'm following the path you mentioned... tremec might be in the future, but I'm in denial.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Cams arrive tomorrow. I will post pics, but I'm sure they look the same as other cams. The lift on these things is huge by the way. Gonna be a few more weeks before I can get it all installed.

pufferfish

Established Member
if you don't already know darren, comp only does billet cams for the coyotes, so you are all good there. i know this because i NEARLY pulled the trigger on a set with their phaser deletes. i had a snaffu that forced me to pull a head, which forced me to think about not putting it back together with the same parts. in the end, reason pulled me back in to where my wallet is no longer sweating;)

is the car back from phoenix yet? when does it go over to rev for the install and tune?

Users who are viewing this thread