Crown Vic/Police Interceptor mods?

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
Any ideas on add-on mods to a 2004 Crown Vic police car that won't cost a mint that will give it a little more get-up and go? It has to be mods that aren't obvious to brass looking at the engine also.

Lawman85

Banned
A computer program. There is a local agency here that puts cat-backs on there crown vics and they sound pretty mean at WOT. A throttle body would be hidden pretty well too.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
GEARS BABY Its the perfect mod! No visible signs of a mod, best bang for the buck, and some 4:30s will get that barge a mov'in! :burnout:

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
It needs something. It feels like I am dragging another car behind me when I punch it. I had to give up my 96 LT-1 Caprice for it. I am a ford man...but that was the finest patrol car I have ever driven in my 20 years on the force.

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
I don't work in the city. I need to have a good top end speed also. I work interdiction alot and high top end speed is a must.

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
Gears are a good idea, but the problem is spending $300 on a car that is not even yours, I dont know about your agency but I go through take homes like their is no tommorrow. My cv has 80k miles on it and if I were to put gears on that thing, who know what would happend, I cant say I havnt thought about it though

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I'd be very wary about modding a Vic due to department policy...CYA, as they say. The only thing that would really help one of these boats really get up & go would be a power adder IMHO. LOL

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
Lots of good ideas, but I am not going to drop a ton of money in someone elses property for the use of it for 1 year. That is the max that I would have this car. It only has 15XXX miles on it now. Maybe a K&N drop-in will help some. Thanks for the input guys. Be safe.

Steeltwo

Established Member
new intake
chip w/tune

probly gain 10-15whp.

its not alot, but if you want to keep it on the dl.

otherwise you can hone crap, but that can get pricey and doesn't do all that much for the money.

MATT SS

Sniperfox said:
It needs something. It feels like I am dragging another car behind me when I punch it. I had to give up my 96 LT-1 Caprice for it. I am a ford man...but that was the finest patrol car I have ever driven in my 20 years on the force.

I agree with you a 100%. I had a 94 Caprice and it was Badass. The CVPI's are really garbage. I wish ford would give them more power. I cant even think of how badass it would be if chevy brought bad the B-Body sedan with an LS2. 400HP!!!!!!!!!!!! :burnout:

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
Ford could do alot with the CVPI, but they also sell it as a taxi. A stang GT engine or a Marauder or Mach 1 engine would give it some punch. Anything would be an improvement. Do you know what the codes are for the rearend gear ratios? I am just curious as to what mine has. The door sticker has Z5 on it.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
I'll have to look that code up but I believe all the '04s have the 3.27 rear gear. I think in 00 (or maybe it was 01) was the one year that they put the 3.55s in them but the highway patrol had problems with throwing driveshafts through the floor (something along those lines). All I know is when I get in the cars with the 3.55s you can tell, feels like the car lost 600lbs.

I say go with a chip, intake (I think there is a kit out there that also offers it with a MAF meter upgrade as well), and break the rear-end (get the gears installed while they fix it :rockon: )...lol. Like it was said before, the chip and intake could be removed and put on the next car. I read in 'Police Fleet Manager' that just replacing the mufflers is suppose to help alot-not the whole system, just the mufflers. Cost you a couple hundred but according to them it'd be worth it.

Hey, it could be alot worse, you could be driving a '97, our fleet still has about 10 of them in active service :shrug: ....#*$@ing POS.

-Mike-

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
Sniperfox said:
Was the 97 version a lead sled?
Not just the '97s but we have alot of those so that's what I always call them. I hate any pre99 Vic, I hate the body style and they have the weaker motor (non P.I. (performance improved) 4.6). One of our officers said the only thing he liked about them was the front-end of the car was shorter but it was just a personal thing for him I guess.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Just wondering but why do our police forces have to use those pos crown vics, is it just b/c it(untill recently) is the only large rwd sedan?

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
The thing about altering the tune on fleet vehicle..like with a hand held flash tuner with revised(higher) timing curve..Don't P71 CV's use plain ol' regular gas?..If you bumped timing,you'd need premium..& if someone else put gas in it,they wouldn't know any better..

rocket5979

Established Member
Why dont ya put a $500 75 hp dry nitrous system in it. If you do it right they wont notice it at all and you can easily take it back out whenever you want with no real evidence left behind. Hide the bottle in the trunk inside of a toolbox.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
9A Pilot said:
The thing about altering the tune on fleet vehicle..like with a hand held flash tuner with revised(higher) timing curve..Don't P71 CV's use plain ol' regular gas?..If you bumped timing,you'd need premium..& if someone else put gas in it,they wouldn't know any better..
That's a very good point. IMO, the stock tune in the CVPIs leaves alot to be desired, especially in the trans settings. I hate how they seem to just slide into second gear. If anything I'd chip it just so the car shifts right.

What fuel do you guys use Sniperfox?

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread