Crown Vic/Police Interceptor mods?

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
We are told 89, but with the cost of fuel going up, I am sure it is the lowest that they can get. I agree on the transmission. It seems to search for the right gear to go into sometimes and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do it.

Lawman85

Banned
We just tear our transmissions up as soon as possible and they rebuild them with a shift kit. The only problem is, after the rebuild, it will snap your neck going into second on a hard acceleration.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
you know the thing is, it's always cheaper to lose weight from a car then it is to add power
Start with sound deadeninf perhaps? Rip out the rubber mats, pull out the trunk mat, stuff like that...

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
With all the add ons and gear in a police car, you'll never get a decent percentage of weight out of it.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
The obvious:
radio
computer
light rack or LED setup
cage
shotgun or rifle in a rack
paperwork, reference materials and such (I often see these in an organizer hung over the passenger seat.
siren/loudspeaker
searchlight
silent witness

In the trunk you probably have a nice first aid kit, perhaps another weapon or heavier body armor, road flares, and maybe a blanket. I know I'm forgetting something here.

Can I name all of the add ons? Almost certainly not. I can name quite a few though. What I mean (since you are either unwilling or unable to grasp this) is that pulling a little bit of sound deadening is not going to make a real difference in a vehicle that weighs somewhere near 4000 pounds in civilian trim, let alone with the gear that gets towed around every day.

Constable

Established Member
Gears are your best bet. 4:10's are perfect in panther cars because of their tall tires. It does NOT cut down on any of their top speed, either. My Marauder is running 4:10's and does every bit of 140mph plus some more. I also only saw a .5 mpg loss with the gears. BEST MOD I DID. BTW, '04 CVPI's had an optional 3.55 gearset. My assigned unit is blessed with them!

Intakes won't do sh!t for an '04. The '04 CVPI has a Marauder airbox, which flows wonderfully. Cones or other "cold air kits" don't yield any improvements over that box.

Like someone else mentioned, get a tune, but make sure it is based on 87-89 octane fuel. My work car pings like crazy... and it's stock. I wish we used better fuel. The tune will also lift the speed limiter (which is set at 119mph due to driveline vibration problems).

Last edited:

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
Intakes won't do sh!t for an '04. The '04 CVPI has a Marauder airbox, which flows wonderfully. Cones or other "cold air kits" don't yield any improvements over that box.
Good info, I wasn't aware of that. The newest cars in our fleet are '03s. We skipped the '04s since we want to see what Crysler is going to do for a police car. Do you know if that box uses a different filter than the older CVs? We use a wix 46134 right now in everything.

BTW, I've been wondering and maybe some of you know. Are they going to start putting the 3V 4.6 in the Crown Vics?

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Interceptors do 127 mph. At least they did a few years ago. They also have seats with steel plating on the inside so the guy behind you cant stab your @ss. Also a different intake, rear end, and suspension. Other then that its pretty much an ordinary vic....

Lawman85

Banned
Same HP. Heavier duty tranny and suspension. Bigger alternator (for the add-ons). Never heard of the steel plates. That makes no since because we use cages.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
The 03+ Vics front suspension looks cool. It has a bolt in aluminum cross-member with aluminum upper and lower arms and what looks like a coilover shock setup. They relocated the rear shocks also. The 3V 4.6L would be great in these cars. Hell, the 5.4L would be even better but I don't see that happening.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Same HP. Heavier duty tranny and suspension. Bigger alternator (for the add-ons). Never heard of the steel plates. That makes no since because we use cages.
Yeah I was thinking that...
Maybe years ago, like in the 70's?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Here are some "invisible mods' you can do:

• Flow through mufflers
  • NGK spark plugs
  • K&N air filter

That should add at least 30 RWHP. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread