Crown Vic/Police Interceptor mods?

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Lawman85 said:
Same HP. Heavier duty tranny and suspension. Bigger alternator (for the add-ons). Never heard of the steel plates. That makes no since because we use cages.
Yup!

Have tyo go with the guy saying that the B-Bodies were the best police cruisers ever the 1994-1996 that is!

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
Maybe years ago, like in the 70's?

Well, I know that the FWD Impalas intended for patrol work ( :lol1: ) have the so called "stab plate" built into the backs of the front seats.....at least they did according to the documents that GM put out. I'm not sure about the current CVPIs, but I wouldn't be so quick to relegate that type of equipment to the 70's.

Lawman85

Banned
Scream'n03 said:
The 03+ Vics front suspension looks cool. It has a bolt in aluminum cross-member with aluminum upper and lower arms and what looks like a coilover shock setup. They relocated the rear shocks also. The 3V 4.6L would be great in these cars. Hell, the 5.4L would be even better but I don't see that happening.

I hate the aluminum crap. The rack and pinion is also aluminum. We can't go over curbs or rough terrain without jacking them up. In my 95 crown vic I jumped a center concrete median at 60+mph in a chase and it didn't bother the car at all(the median was only a standard 5" high and about 8' wide), granted, I did lose all 4 hubcaps!!!! I would never try that in a new crown vic, no telling what type of damage it would do.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
I hate the aluminum crap. The rack and pinion is also aluminum. We can't go over curbs or rough terrain without jacking them up. In my 95 crown vic I jumped a center concrete median at 60+mph in a chase and it didn't bother the car at all(the median was only a standard 5" high and about 8' wide), granted, I did lose all 4 hubcaps!!!! I would never try that in a new crown vic, no telling what type of damage it would do.

LMAO....opps...forgot we are talking about a police car. I'm one of those normal people that wouldn't even consider jumping a median.

Sniperfox, did you ever decide to do anything?

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Get one of the NOS "nitrous in a bag" systems. All you do is run a small hose from the inside of the car to the air filter box and you're ready to go. Just plug into the 12 volt outlet hold the button in your hand and.......GONE. It comes adjustable from a 25 shot to a 100 HP shot by just changing the jets. If someone else needs the car just unhook the hose, unplug the switch, zip up the duffle bag it comes in and away you go. NOS says because you route it into the filter box in front of the mass air the computer will automatically enrich the system enough to not cause engine damage. A friend of my little sister bought one at a FFW event and put it on his Cavalier. Scared the crap out of him the first time he used it. His car lasted about a year after that running at least 2 - 3 bottles of nitrous a week before he melt that little chevy's motor down. In a year you could take the system with you to a new car. very cost effective.

Blk2000GT

Established Member
The easiest thing to do is remove the air silencer, and cut a big rectangular hole in the bottom of the airbox. The only thing the admin. will notice (if they know where to look) is the missing silencer cone. Just doing those two things make a noticable difference in performance and sound. If you wanted to take it one step further, drop in a K&N replacement filter. Top speed on a 3.27 CVPI is electronically limited to 129 mph. The 3.55 CVPI is limited to 119 mph. :cuss:

azgardia

Wanderer
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Same HP. Heavier duty tranny and suspension. Bigger alternator (for the add-ons). Never heard of the steel plates. That makes no since because we use cages.

New york the use steel plates and line that along the front seats, then use shatter proof plastic from seat to cieling.

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
Scream'n03 said:
LMAO....opps...forgot we are talking about a police car. I'm one of those normal people that wouldn't even consider jumping a median.

Sniperfox, did you ever decide to do anything?
I left it stock. Maybe I'll get one of the Hemi chargers when they come out.

LS1EATR

Established Member
MY 02 CVPI starts making a horrible noise at 120mph , I have been 125 in it. i just get nervous with all that damn noise , I think the cowl panel is vibrating or something.

Lawman85

Banned
LS1EATR said:
MY 02 CVPI starts making a horrible noise at 120mph , I have been 125 in it. i just get nervous with all that damn noise , I think the cowl panel is vibrating or something.

That is the plastic piece at the base of the windshield on the outside. It is the section in front of the driver. If you put a heavy piece of paper (a business card works) between the plastic and glass it stops that noise.

V10_Vic

Let me see. Heres a article I found:

The following is excerpted from FPS-12011-93, "Severe Duty Service Recommendations for Crown Victoria Police/Taxi/Fleet and Mustang Special Service Vehicles", dated July 1992

These vehicles are manufactured with heavy-duty parts that are designed specifically for the varying demands and uniqie requirements under which police and taxi automobiles and others in heavy-duty daily service are operated. Such options are incorporated during the vehicle assembly. Components that are part of the option packages are listed below and on the following pages with a brief outline of their major features and their contribution to overall vehicle performance, handing and performance.

TRANSMISSION: Auxillary External Oil Cooler - Police/Taxi

ELECTRICAL: 130 ampere Alternator - Police Dual Beam Map Lamp - Police

FRAME/SUSPENSION: Heavy-duty Frame - Police Heavy-duty Suspension - Police & extra-heavy, high rate front and rear springs, extra control shock absorbers, heavy-duty front and rear stabilizer bars, plus special lower control arm bushings. COOLERS Power Steering Fluid Cooler - Police Extra Cooling Package - Police & viscous type fan drive Transmission Fluid Cooler - Police & Forward mounted air-to-fluid cooler

WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES: Wheel Rims - Police & heavy-duty Safety Rim Wheels Tires - Police & tires (including the spare) are speed rated radials for police use.

Brakes - Police Semi-metallic brake pads are standard heavy-duty on the front brakes to meet the varying demands of different police service for fade resaistance and other performance requirements. These linings meet LASD/LAPD and MSP certification requirements.

INTERIOR: Heavy-duty seats - Police Calibrated Speedometer - Police More precise read-out of true road speed is achieved by a calibrated speedometer head. (The speedometer head assembly accuracy is +/- 2 mph over the entire range [at 70 degrees F or 21 degrees C].) The "certified calibration" applies to the head assembly only and does not apply to the indicated speed of the system which is affected by variations in vehicle loading, tire inflation pressures, tire rolling radii and driveline ratios. Deviations from true road speeds are minimized by this specially adapted speedometer head which gives both miles-per-hour and kilometer-per-hour readings. (0-140 mph; 0-220 km/h on Crown Victoria, 0-160 mph; 0-250 km/h on Mustang.

LS1EATR

Established Member
i will try the business card trick tonight when i go in. I will test it and see how it works, i believe you are right because that is the piece i suspected of making the noise.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
We just tear our transmissions up as soon as possible and they rebuild them with a shift kit. The only problem is, after the rebuild, it will snap your neck going into second on a hard acceleration.

I wasn't aware that the 4.6L PI had that much power...

Users who are viewing this thread