Disturbing Mustang Pictures

black04gt

n00b like whoaski
Established Member
Cobra Jet 429 said:
276 hp (underrated since Japan doesn't allow sale of carswith more than
it's 280...

anyways, would've been cheaper to put a turbo stroker in there with similar horsepower #'s. and more torque. and, to the douche bag crying about mustangs only going in a straight line, if you know what you're doing, you can make a freightliner handle well...

edit: those rims look gross on that car...

4CYLNDR

Established Member
iCEMANSGCCC said:
Actually...no. No replacement for displacement. Any mod you do to both a smaller engine and a bigger engine, the bigger engine will benefit more, it's simple

but the biggest assumption you're making is that both engines can take the same about of modication / boost in power. But that doesn't appear to be the case. While there ARE quite a few incredibly built v8 motors around, lots of these japanese motors that i know all of you hate and dismiss as rice without hearing any additional info, that can withstand quite a bit on the stock internals.

the Skyline motor, like the guy above me said, can take well into the 900hp-1000hp range on stock internals . . . a bump from the stock 280hp.

the supra motor can take similar amounts of abuse without giving up.

the 4g63 can take around 500hp before it needs to be beefed up, as can the nissan sr20 motor.

You're absolutely right, that whatever you do to a smaller motor, will make more gains with a larger motor, but as i said, you would need to hold constant the ability of the motor to rev high and withstand the additional power.

Let's assume the skyline's 2.6 liter motor without the twin turbos would make somewhere around 170-190 hp? Is that fair to say for a 2.6 liter? The fact that putting some hefty turbos on that thing could bump its power to around 800-900hp is indiciative of the fact that it can indeed withstand a power output 3 or 4 times more than its power output in N/A form.

Lets take a 300hp v8 N/A motor (take your pick) and see how many of them can be boosted up to 900hp without beefing up the internals.

Now, there is something to be said for a turbo'ed v8 that a smaller displacement turbo'ed engine just can't get around, and thats the lag. While in general, v8's will never withstand as much boost and high-revving action as , say, that inline 6 from the skyline, it also won't lag the same way a big turbo'ed import motor lags. That being said, for most people on this board that are pure straight-line racers, the lag isn't really that much of a hinderance. Those big turbo'ed tiny motors are pulling the same 9, 10, 11-second et's.

But for those that road race, the lag becomes a big pain in the butt. Thats why im still on the stock turbo (and making 100hp more than stock, which ain't too shabby). In many of the So Cal road courses, all that extra power means very little when you don't have immediate access to it. lol.

Thats where a z06 would be well-loved. All that great v8 power and torque, PLUS the handling of a real sports car, without the silly lag of a tiny engine.

Im sorry that many of you guys on here can't appreciate the tiny little japanese motors that make so much power they surprise their fair share of people. Everyone's so quick to dismiss everything NOT american and big and musclely as rice.

I get just as much of a rush seeing a Terminator Cobra fly by with the crazy whining as i do when an Enzo goes by (sounding like a barking dog, lol) or when a skyline with 900hp pulls a 9-second quartermile. If i had the money, i would own all of these cars. But just b/c i don't, i don't seem to suffer from that buyer's remorse / cognitive dissonance that makes people put down every other car except the one they drive.

4CYLNDR

Established Member
black04gt said:
it's 280...

anyways, would've been cheaper to put a turbo stroker in there with similar horsepower #'s. and more torque. and, to the douche bag crying about mustangs only going in a straight line, if you know what you're doing, you can make a freightliner handle well...

edit: those rims look gross on that car...

ok . . . but just like theres no replacement for displacement (assuming ALL THE OTHER factors are equal), theres also no displacement for ligher weight, better balanced, tighter steering import cars. Doesn't the exact same reasoning apply?

even if you could make a "freighliner" handle well, doing the same thing to a smaller, lighter car, will always make that smaller more nimble car handle better (assuming, once again, all else being equal)

was it really necessary to call me a douchebag b/c i said that mustangs don't handle as well as imports? can you really disagree with that with a straight face?

I suppose you could point to the one or two people out of the thousands on this board that actually road race, but wouldn't that be just as fruitful as my pointing to the one or two imports that run 6 or 7 second quartermiles?

4CYLNDR

Established Member
doubletrouble said:
OMG. These rice retards are multiplying at an alarming rate. What's the matter with this younger generation? Ima have to smack some sense into these high-schooled and college(my age) kids. No replacement for displacement. Bolt a T-whatever onto a rice engine(V8 and less) and bolt the same turbo up to the V8. game over. Sheer math. Oh wait ricers use abacuses :burn:

see the post above.

these skyline motors can over 30 psi on stock internals. What happens to most v8s with 30 psi of boost?

98cobra snake

NA
Established Member
4CYLNDR said:
see the post above.

these skyline motors can over 30 psi on stock internals. What happens to most v8s with 30 psi of boost?
True, but they come with turbos stock and are designed to take boost (which is pretty amazing at how much they can take), but Mustangs are NA besides the 03-04cobras.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
The RB25 is a great engine..Built for boost stock and will rev to hell and back.

If you think that's rice, you're an idiot.. From an overall neutral point of view that is one of the better engines out there.

And I agree, the motor outclasses the vehicle it was put in by quite a fair margin. They could of stuck the old worn out junker v8 back in and called it a day.

Last edited:

98cobra snake

NA
Established Member
jdk said:
The RB25 is a great engine..Built for boost stock and will rev to hell and back.

If you think that's rice, you're an idiot.. From an overall neutral point of view that is one of the better engines out there.

And I agree, the motor outclasses the vehicle it was put in by quite a fair margin.
Damn, nice past cars.

4CYLNDR

Established Member
98cobra snake said:
True, but they come with turbos stock and are designed to take boost (which is pretty amazing at how much they can take), but Mustangs are NA besides the 03-04cobras.

true, and to be fair, we need to look at the compression ratios too. I don't know what a mustang gt compression ratio is, but i assume its higher than the standard turbo motor 8.5 or 8.8:1. But isn't the Cobra's ratio also 8.5:1?

I love the Terminator Cobra motor b/c it already comes with the blower, and its so easy to make power with just a few bolt ons and a pulley swap . . . but good luck pushing 30 psi without breaking something. The evo motors run 19.5 psi stock. Does the turbo have to work a whole lot harder on the little 2 liter motor to make power. Absolutely. But the point is it can.

That being said, i've been trying to look on these boards for some twin turbo cobra action. Seems like the way to go for both bottom end and top end power (since the displacement basically makes turbo lag a non-issue). The only kit i've seen looks a bit hacked up with the blow-off valves sticking out of the front grill and all. I wonder when people will realize that those don't really do anything; they just should recirculate that air back in.

4CYLNDR

Established Member
jdk said:

And I agree, the motor outclasses the vehicle it was put in by quite a fair margin. They could of stuck the old worn out junker v8 back in and called it a day.

speak of the devil! (see my last post)
- can you tell me more about your twin turbo cobra? i've been looking at some DSGs or Sonic Blues with some evil thoughts :mj:

98cobra snake

NA
Established Member
4CYLNDR said:
true, and to be fair, we need to look at the compression ratios too. I don't know what a mustang gt compression ratio is, but i assume its higher than the standard turbo motor 8.5 or 8.8:1. But isn't the Cobra's ratio also 8.5:1?

I love the Terminator Cobra motor b/c it already comes with the blower, and its so easy to make power with just a few bolt ons and a pulley swap . . . but good luck pushing 30 psi without breaking something. The evo motors run 19.5 psi stock. Does the turbo have to work a whole lot harder on the little 2 liter motor to make power. Absolutely. But the point is it can.

That being said, i've been trying to look on these boards for some twin turbo cobra action. Seems like the way to go for both bottom end and top end power (since the displacement basically makes turbo lag a non-issue). The only kit i've seen looks a bit hacked up with the blow-off valves sticking out of the front grill and all. I wonder when people will realize that those don't really do anything; they just should recirculate that air back in.
Um I think the compression ratio is 9.4:1 or 9.6:1 or somewhere around there.

A question: Do you know what kind of pistons and rods, etc. Skylines use. I'm trying to figure out why they can take so much boost.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
4CYLNDR said:
speak of the devil! (see my last post)
- can you tell me more about your twin turbo cobra? i've been looking at some DSGs or Sonic Blues with some evil thoughts :mj:

I've sold it, but what do you want to know?

RE the blowoff valves, the HP kit runs blow through.. the only kits I've ever seen with bypass valves insted of blow off's ran in draw through.

I'm not sure about the RB25 but I've seen 2jzgte's make upwards of 1500 rwhp with a completely stock bottom end.. If I was going to do a swap that's probably the motor I'd use.

Last edited:

98cobra snake

NA
Established Member
jdk said:
I've sold it, but what do you want to know?

RE the blowoff valves, the HP kit runs blow through.. the only kits I've ever seen with bypass valves insted of blow off's ran in draw through.
How much power did you make?

black04gt

n00b like whoaski
Established Member
4CYLNDR said:
ok . . . but just like theres no replacement for displacement (assuming ALL THE OTHER factors are equal), theres also no displacement for ligher weight, better balanced, tighter steering import cars. Doesn't the exact same reasoning apply?

even if you could make a "freighliner" handle well, doing the same thing to a smaller, lighter car, will always make that smaller more nimble car handle better (assuming, once again, all else being equal)

was it really necessary to call me a douchebag b/c i said that mustangs don't handle as well as imports? can you really disagree with that with a straight face?

I suppose you could point to the one or two people out of the thousands on this board that actually road race, but wouldn't that be just as fruitful as my pointing to the one or two imports that run 6 or 7 second quartermiles?
touchy?

i admit, resorting to name calling was stupid and imature. alas, i've had a little too much crown n coke tonight. sorry for that. as for which car handles better. i have a friend with a turbo civic and one with a h/c/i'd notch. both handle like they are on rails with similar money invested...actually, if you wanna factor in initial cost, the civic was about $1500 more...i don't belive there is a supperior car out there, as far as the import vs. domestic battle is concerned. in the end, it all comes down to who has the most money....

<---likes all kinds of cars. mustangs just look better!! :coolman:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
98cobra snake said:
How much power did you make?

The only dyno run we could get the tires to hook on was 640 rwhp at about 13-14 PSI.

4CYLNDR

Established Member
98cobra snake said:
Damn and at only 13-14. :rockon:

see thats what always gets me thinking about how to make these v8's take more boost. making more boost doesn't create any negative externalities at all (compare parasitic loss) . . . its just a matter of the motor taking it.

imagine if that same car was running on 28-30 psi can could handle it. :banana: :banana:

SteveChris

Established Member
:xpl: road course...turbo..internals..etc.
dont care
dont like

im getting kind of tired with ricers..sorry.. import drivers constantly making it seem as if what they do over there is some engineering marvel... on another forum someone kept coming into a mustang board and talking about his 350z as if it was an engineering miracle a 6cyl made 280hp, and kept saying how fords 6cyl sucks and etc and they couldnt do that..
in that case i told him ford can take its v6 and have it be dohc with a high compression ratio like the z has and nice intake and etc and yea itll get up there too. thats all nissan did.. but then if the 6 is at 280 the gt couldnt have been 260..i and now would need more then 300, then the cobra needs to be more and etc etc. thus killing its biggest market,, v6 owners who wont buy one that costs more and has higher insurance.

as far as cars like the skyline.. carmakers can either spend the money for the cars power on a v8 with normal to moderatley good internals and keep it n/a or mildly boosted..or use a 4cyl or 6cyl and beef the internals and run a turbo or even tt setup
both can be fast but i want raw v8 power.. plus if you decide to mod the v8 you can beef the internals all you want then you have options to use FI (or switch to a better then stock supercharger).
bottom line, with cars like the skyline the manufacturer used very good internals..they didnt wave a magic wand and pray to the car gods :bowdown: . they want a lighter solution,,thats the way THEY do it..thats not the way WE like it

4CYLNDR

Established Member
black04gt said:
in the end, it all comes down to who has the most money....

amen to that one. and in the end, when you "win" . . . you start thinking about how much cash you've thrown into the beast. lol. and how many other cool things you coulda done with it.

if only i were dating paris hilton, and had access to her money, and was immune to STDs

Users who are viewing this thread