Got pulled over for exhaust he said there is no decimal level for illegal

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
So I live in georgia, and got pulled over by a police officer coming out of a neighborhood as I was passing about 3500rpms at about half throttle. He quickly came after me and pulled me over. Walks up to my car and says your exhaust is illegal. I asked him how is that so. He replied with its too loud. So I responded with whats the decimal level for illegaly loud. He then replied with there isnt one if it hurts my ears its illegal. I dont know if he was just a di** or what. I had a a sticker Saying "dirty d exhaust" on my window.. cop then states take that shit back to dirty d, proceeds to write me a ticket. Idk if he was mad he didnt get a new cop car like everyone else or what lol, but is there anything I can do?

musclefan21

Established Member
A cop CAN write you an aftermarket exhaust ticket without a decimal equipment. All he/she has to hear that exhaust to be excessively loud / louder than factory, which most, if not all cars come with pretty quiet exhaust and you don't have to be john force to tell if an exhaust modified or stock.

So, is your exhaust aftermarket and loud like mine or many other modded mustangs? Then there is nothing you can do, pay the ticket and move on. Not many cops give out those tickets. You just happened to be the unlucky one...

Good luck

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Many exhaust laws I've seen declare anything not equivalent to the factory muffler is illegal, db level doesn't usually seem to matter... I'm sure you could google your state laws

Zemedici

Established Member
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2009 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current through the 2009 Regular Session ***
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 4. HORNS, EXHAUST SYSTEMS, MIRRORS, WINDSHIELDS, TIRES, SAFETY BELTS, ENERGY ABSORPTION SYSTEMS
O.C.G.A. § 40-8-71 (2009)
§ 40-8-71. Exhaust system; prevention of noise, smoke, and fumes

(a) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system, in good working order and in constant operation, meeting the following specifications:

(1) The exhaust system shall include the piping leading from the flange of the exhaust manifold to and including the muffler or mufflers and tail pipes;

(2) The use of flexible pipe shall be prohibited except on diesel tractors or according to manufacturers' original specifications;

(3) The exhaust emission point shall extend beyond the rear or outside of the passenger compartment. The trunk shall be considered as part of the passenger compartment;

(4) The exhaust system and its elements shall be securely fastened, including the consideration of missing or broken hangers; and

(5) There shall be no part of the exhaust system passing through the passenger compartment or any exposed stack so located that any individual entering or leaving the vehicle may be burned.

(b) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sale any muffler which causes excessive or unusual noise or annoying smoke or any muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device for use on a motor vehicle or for any person to use, to sell, or to offer for sale any motor vehicle equipped with any such muffler, muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 117; Ga. L. 1962, p. 653, § 1; Ga. L. 1971, p. 779, § 1; Code 1933, § 68E-402, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-71, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10; Ga. L. 1994, p. 97, § 40.

Zemedici

Established Member
or just put the mufflers on, as you intend to do anyways ya fool, and they'll drop the ticket, and your tone will improve, and it'll be quieter.

Oh, and my head wont want to explode when you hit it next to me :)

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I had a similar experience about 8 years ago in my small hometown. The LEO seemed like he was having a bad day and wrote me a ticket for loud exhaust on my cat back exhaust on my stock Lightning :shrug: It was $75, I just went and paid them and have never had a problem since.

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
I think he was mad the didnt give him one of those bad ass caprices he got stuck with his crown vic lol. Alright guys just wondering if there was anything I could do on that. I appreciate the feedback.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I gotta say this is one area where CA has it right. When you get a loud exhaust ticket you go to a smog referee to get it signed off. The smog referee will perform a SAE compliant test with a calibrated dB meter with posted limits, limit is 96.5dB.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
I got pulled for loud exhaust in VA, the cop said flowmasters are illegal he let me go with a warning. I changed exhaust I don't need the cops messing with me when I drive my car.

oldmodman

Established Member
I wonder what the police would say about the stock exhaust on a Pagani Zonda.

It is many DB louder than the loudest flows I have ever heard. It will actually hurt your hearing at 100 feet. Stock.

musclefan21

Established Member
I think he was mad the didnt give him one of those bad ass caprices he got stuck with his crown vic lol. Alright guys just wondering if there was anything I could do on that. I appreciate the feedback.

crown vic > caprice.... way, WAY more practical and efficient.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
crown vic > caprice.... way, WAY more practical and efficient.

I'll agree on the practical part, but the crown vic is underpowered. Don't get me wrong, I loved mine (Stuck in a V6 charger now) but I would kill to have a caprice. Are you sure they are more efficient? Seems like I filled my CVPI up 2-3 times per 12 hour shift.

OP just pay the ticket and move on. He's got you dead to rights.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
No state in the USA has a decimal limit on vehicle exhaust.
I totally agree. A numeral system never hurt anyone's hearing before. Now about those decibel levels... now there's something you need to keep an ear out for! :D

U.M.

Last edited:

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
I wonder what the police would say about the stock exhaust on a Pagani Zonda.

It is many DB louder than the loudest flows I have ever heard. It will actually hurt your hearing at 100 feet. Stock.

Find me a Zonda owner who cares. :banana:

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member

Nice way of sneakily bashing the cop, do you think that flies on this forum? Making it sound as if personal jealously made him issue something for a traffic law violation?

Wrong section to do that, gtfo

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I'll agree on the practical part, but the crown vic is underpowered. Don't get me wrong, I loved mine (Stuck in a V6 charger now) but I would kill to have a caprice. Are you sure they are more efficient? Seems like I filled my CVPI up 2-3 times per 12 hour shift.

OP just pay the ticket and move on. He's got you dead to rights.

Could you imagine the Crown Vic ever going away if Ford had given those pigs some actual muscle? '98 and up should've gotten the 4.6 DOHC like Cobra/Marauder/Mk VIII. Then gotten the Coyote in '11. I don't think Chevy/Dodge would've gotten such a big leap in the market if they had.

But, I digress, RIP CV.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Could you imagine the Crown Vic ever going away if Ford had given those pigs some actual muscle? '98 and up should've gotten the 4.6 DOHC like Cobra/Marauder/Mk VIII. Then gotten the Coyote in '11. I don't think Chevy/Dodge would've gotten such a big leap in the market if they had.

But, I digress, RIP CV.

Lol yes RIP. The tauruses suck. Probably because we have the gutless v6 version of it.

Users who are viewing this thread