Established Member
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2009 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current through the 2009 Regular Session ***
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 4. HORNS, EXHAUST SYSTEMS, MIRRORS, WINDSHIELDS, TIRES, SAFETY BELTS, ENERGY ABSORPTION SYSTEMS
O.C.G.A. § 40-8-71 (2009)
§ 40-8-71. Exhaust system; prevention of noise, smoke, and fumes

(a) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system, in good working order and in constant operation, meeting the following specifications:

(1) The exhaust system shall include the piping leading from the flange of the exhaust manifold to and including the muffler or mufflers and tail pipes;

(2) The use of flexible pipe shall be prohibited except on diesel tractors or according to manufacturers' original specifications;

(3) The exhaust emission point shall extend beyond the rear or outside of the passenger compartment. The trunk shall be considered as part of the passenger compartment;

(4) The exhaust system and its elements shall be securely fastened, including the consideration of missing or broken hangers; and

(5) There shall be no part of the exhaust system passing through the passenger compartment or any exposed stack so located that any individual entering or leaving the vehicle may be burned.

(b) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sale any muffler which causes excessive or unusual noise or annoying smoke or any muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device for use on a motor vehicle or for any person to use, to sell, or to offer for sale any motor vehicle equipped with any such muffler, muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 117; Ga. L. 1962, p. 653, § 1; Ga. L. 1971, p. 779, § 1; Code 1933, § 68E-402, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-71, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10; Ga. L. 1994, p. 97, § 40.

If your exhaust meets all of the above except part C you are 100% with in the law. Take pictures to court showing it qualifies and ticket will be droped. Part C is for people selling and has nothing to do with you driving down the road.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Have a stock Roush Stage 3. Mufflers come loud.

Most states have in the statute anything other than stock is illegal. Georgia looks like it doesn't say that from the above post, unless there is another statute that covers that part. You would be fine in FL, our statute clearly states that modified exhaust is prohibited stock is fine.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Roush, saleen, etc. are not stock. They are modified GTs.

This, when they are delivered to the dealers they have the factory exhaust. After the customer purchases the car, the Roush exhaust is installed. At least that is the way it has worked on the Roush cars my dealer has sold.

l337

Established Member
Playing devils advocate here, but if cops are going to start pulling cars for loud exhaust, they better start pulling hogs. Nearly EVERY hog is louder than some of the loudest aftermarket stuff you can put on a car. It's NUTS.

In this case, there can be a lot of reasons why a cop would pull you over for your loud exhaust. It could be as easy as you're in a neighborhood where there have been lots of complaints by the residents.

Unlucky OP

Last edited:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Playing devils advocate here, but if cops are going to start pulling cars for loud exhaust, they better start pulling hogs. Nearly EVERY hog is louder than some of the loudest aftermarket stuff you can put on a car. It's NUTS.

In this case, there can be a lot of reasons why a cop would pull you over for your loud exhaust. It could be as easy as you're in a neighborhood where there have been lots of complaints by the residents.

Unlucky OP

We pull and cite Bikes in FL, for the same reason we would pull a car. If they are revving the shit out of it and acting like a complete ass in an inappropriate place or time of day.

It really takes a lot to get written an exhaust ticket. I've seen maybe 3-4 people actually get written for exhaust in my 7 year career.

Last edited:

l337

Established Member
It really takes a lot to get written an exhaust ticket. I've seen maybe 3-4 people actually get written for exhaust in my 7 year career.

I would tend to think this way as well. However, in the the case of the OP, there's no indication of this happening which is what led me to my response.

Some of you guys just don't get it. Some townships or cities aggressively enforce certain infractions.

Avoid certain towns or cities if you have issues that bring into question the legality of your ride' setup.

There are certain towns I can't g into because of nt having a front plate or legal exhaust.

Stop coming into this section thinking you are smarter than the PO who knows what is legal and what isn't. Some of you cats are actually fortunate you aren't being hit with the Federally mandated $10k fine for running an O/R pipe and exhaust. Consider yourself BLESSED that you can actually come away from a sop with anything but that.

There is a certain price to pay when you go O/R and with an aftermarket exhaust. And I think jokers like you OP...love to rev it up to draw neighbor and LEO attention. You come on here all innocent yet you were probably being very obnoxious with your setup.

Ad its guys like you that ruin it for all. Be smart and cut the shit acting like the innocent guy on here, cause you ain't.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
I would tend to think this way as well. However, in the the case of the OP, there's no indication of this happening which is what led me to my response.

I'm betting, and I'm not really a betting man, that the whole story isn't being told in the original post as is the case with most posts in the donut shop.

musclefan21

Established Member
Funny, The last two topics discussed happened in one incident just a few hours ago

I backed a co-worker who stopped an eagle talon for having blue HID headlights which were so bright, he thought he had his high beams on. I checked and yeah, those things were very bright... So as he was checking the drivers license on the computer, he said he was gonna give him a break on the HIDs but write him for tinted tails (they were bad, you couldn't see almost any lights coming out of them). I laughed and said, don't be that guy. He said, well "i will l write him for the loud exhaust then.." I laughed and said okay now you are being a bitch... He walked up, chewed the driver's ass just a little on the tail lights and headlights and cut him loose.

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I actually passed the cop the otherday, sitting and the same spot as I babied it in 4th lol.

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Im telling the truth all I did was go buy a cop in 4th not even at a high rpm, and he came after me lol. Maybe im just unlucky who knows.

Zemedici

Established Member
Nice way of sneakily bashing the cop, do you think that flies on this forum? Making it sound as if personal jealously made him issue something for a traffic law violation?

Wrong section to do that, gtfo

He was just kidding....jeez get the sand out of your vagina.

How much is the ticket anyway? You do need mufflers.....:lol:

Last edited:

SVTmystic290

Established Member
dec·i·mal
/ˈdesəməl/

Adjective
Relating to or denoting a system of numbers and arithmetic based on the number ten, tenth parts, and powers of ten.

Noun
A fraction whose denominator is a power of ten and whose numerator is expressed by figures placed to the right of a decimal point.

dec·i·bel
/ˈdesəˌbel/

Noun
1.A unit used to measure the intensity of a sound or the power level of an electrical signal by comparing it with a given level on A degree of loudness

Lets all learn one new thing every day
:beer:

Naturesmistake

Established Member
Hogs man... louder than all our shit, sound like shit, and around here the LEO doesn't give a shit...

To be fair, muscle and exotics get a break here... It's mostly coffee can Hondas that get the fix it ticket.

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
CJ04GT
I was passing about 3500rpms at about half throttle
all I did was go buy a cop in 4th not even at a high rpm
So which is it? You were in a residential area HALF throttle, 3500rpms in 4th gear?
I dont know about you... but 3500rmps in 4th has to be what, 70mph?
Not to mention, half throttle, 3500 rpms is a fair amount of hauling ass and is quite loud in my car.

I have Loudmouth I and a high flow X on my car, and I have been pulled over 1 time by a state trooper for them, because I was about half throttle coming out of a toll booth. Lucky for me I was in my military uniform and the LEO was also in the military. He gave me a warning.
I met the LEO a couple years later on a deployment and had some good laughs with him.

I stand corrected. I was pulled over a second time, on the other end of the same highway coming out of a toll booth, lol... once again, too much throttle. LEO asked what I was doing, I told him I was coming back from school. He let me off with a warning.

What is the moral here? If you want a better chance of giving it some throttle without possibly getting a ticket, dont have a loud exhaust that screams "look at me, I need a ticket". Or, if you have a loud exhaust, be more cautious of where you step on the loud pedal... that is the approach I have taken.

N93XCHP

Established Member
Just be happy you don't live in California. That loud exhaust would have got you pulled over(they'll NEVER let it slide) then possibly get your hood popped to see if there's any mods then look under your car for cats and if he/she doesn't like what he/she see's, say hello to state referee. State referee don't play around here you'll either have to change everything back to stock or provide CARB E.O #'s then get a emissions test. OR you can just pay like $1,500 and you won't have to show up to the state ref. So once again be happy you only got a ticket and don't live in California.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Just be happy you don't live in California. That loud exhaust would have got you pulled over(they'll NEVER let it slide) then possibly get your hood popped to see if there's any mods then look under your car for cats and if he/she doesn't like what he/she see's, say hello to state referee. State referee don't play around here you'll either have to change everything back to stock or provide CARB E.O #'s then get a emissions test. OR you can just pay like $1,500 and you won't have to show up to the state ref. So once again be happy you only got a ticket and don't live in California.

Depends. just don't drive like a Dbag and you can be just fine. Depends on the department in the vicinity.

Users who are viewing this thread