Got pulled over for exhaust he said there is no decimal level for illegal

N93XCHP

Established Member
Depends. just don't drive like a Dbag and you can be just fine. Depends on the department in the vicinity.

Or if you are young like me (21 but look like I'm 18) you have no chance it's a 90% chance I get pulled over. Hell I once got pulled over because I didn't get out of the cops way(Didn't have his lights on). He told me "you have to get out of an emergency vehicles way whether their lights are on or not." Cops are dicks around here in the bay area when you are young with a fast car, but again I have met a few cops that enjoy them and tell you to do illegal things. haha :coolman:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Or if you are young like me (21 but look like I'm 18) you have no chance it's a 90% chance I get pulled over. Hell I once got pulled over because I didn't get out of the cops way(Didn't have his lights on). He told me "you have to get out of an emergency vehicles way whether their lights are on or not." Cops are dicks around here in the bay area when you are young with a fast car, but again I have met a few cops that enjoy them and tell you to do illegal things. haha :coolman:
Was driving my Cobra when I was 17 with no cats, x-pipe and mufflers, never got a ticket for it :shrug: Added high flow cats almost 2 year's later. I've gotten pulled over for no front plate and one time for speeding 5 over limit, both times was let go with a warning and nothing about exhaust.

Knock on wood but I dont drive like a douche or make a lot of noise 90% of the time. Yesterday, there was a cop that sped up behind me real quick and was on my ass for a bit. He ended up just turning right after a stop and I kept going my way.

Naturesmistake

Established Member
It depends where you are at in California. The laws stay the same for the most part, but enforcement varies... However it's always up to the cops discretion and there is always a stickler in the bunch. That's just when you have someone else write it off.

Last edited:

N93XCHP

Established Member
Yeah I heard SoCal is more easygoing compared to Northern California/Bay Area. They really try HARD to stick us for something, that roadside smog is ridiculous in my honest opinion all it does is waste money/time and cause traffic all for what to catch like a handful of cars that don't pass smog? Now I'm not saying I don't drive like an asshole but when law enforcement is around I follow the laws 100% I don't need to get in anymore trouble.

Zemedici

Established Member
You're an ill informed pile of dog shit.

Just kidding :)

bahahaha much better!

dec·i·mal
/ˈdesəməl/

Adjective
Relating to or denoting a system of numbers and arithmetic based on the number ten, tenth parts, and powers of ten.

Noun
A fraction whose denominator is a power of ten and whose numerator is expressed by figures placed to the right of a decimal point.

dec·i·bel
/ˈdesəˌbel/

Noun
1.A unit used to measure the intensity of a sound or the power level of an electrical signal by comparing it with a given level on A degree of loudness

Lets all learn one new thing every day
:beer:

Thank you....told CJ its "decibel" not "decimal" :rockon:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I never really got bothered for my full mac setup in NJ because its loud enough to grab attention/sound good and quiet enough to slide by law enforcement. Now on the other hand my buddies ride with SLP full exhaust got pulled over many times as he owned the car for quite sometime now. My question is, how can you get an exhaust ticket when the exhaust system is 50 state legal? Also, it is nearly impossible to keep stock exhaust system from factory because the system usually fails after a certain number of years, and for common models out there, there really isn't a replacement.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
My question is, how can you get an exhaust ticket when the exhaust system is 50 state legal?

SLP only advertises their systems as being 50 state emissions legal. They make no mention in regards to being compliant with sound levels various states may have.

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
What's the law in ohio? I had collectors plates on a 99 Cobra because it qualified due to it being a 30th Anniversary car. Exaust had headers, off road X, and magnapack cat back. LEO's would roll up on my loud car all the time, see the collector plate, and then back off. I don't think a collector plate allows you to have an illegal loud exhaust though. Never had a problem.

N93XCHP

Established Member
I never really got bothered for my full mac setup in NJ because its loud enough to grab attention/sound good and quiet enough to slide by law enforcement. Now on the other hand my buddies ride with SLP full exhaust got pulled over many times as he owned the car for quite sometime now. My question is, how can you get an exhaust ticket when the exhaust system is 50 state legal? Also, it is nearly impossible to keep stock exhaust system from factory because the system usually fails after a certain number of years, and for common models out there, there really isn't a replacement.

When a company states "50 state legal" they're talking about emissions. But I'm sure your buddy doesn't have cats and with those super loud SLP's I'm sure is pretty damn loud.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
you don't have to be john force to tell if an exhaust is modified or stock.

I LOL'd at this one.

I did get a ticket one time for loud exhaust and it was b/c I was young, dumb and totally being an idiot. I had a 1997 black GT w/ straight pipes. Sounded great! As I was leaving my friends they all wanted to hear it so I took off around the corner spinning my tires, sliding sideways (it was raining) and revving the throttle. About 1/4 mile later I see red and blue lights and he pulls me over and goes "just what do you think you were doing back there". Now, if I would have just said "sir, I was showing off for my friends who wanted to hear my Mustang" he might have let me go w/ a warning. Nope, I didn't see him and in my thinking he didn't see me just heard me (which may have been true) so I said "what do you mean sir". He immediately gets SUPER pissed and goes I heard your car back there and I doubt many other cars I saw after I heard it sound like that, start the car up son". I started and "WOOOOM". He goes "turn it off and give me your drivers license". 10 min later I had a loud exhaust ticket :burnout:

Last edited:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
What's the law in ohio? I had collectors plates on a 99 Cobra because it qualified due to it being a 30th Anniversary car. Exaust had headers, off road X, and magnapack cat back. LEO's would roll up on my loud car all the time, see the collector plate, and then back off. I don't think a collector plate allows you to have an illegal loud exhaust though. Never had a problem.

I think the collector plate is a gray area. People who have collector plates have classic cars, and you cant penalize classic cars. If you had a Boss 9 with a LOUD exhaust, the Leo would have to let it pass.

When a company states "50 state legal" they're talking about emissions. But I'm sure your buddy doesn't have cats and with those super loud SLP's I'm sure is pretty damn loud.

Alright I see what you guys mean now. Actually he has the high flow catted system but its loud anyways because he's ripping it half the time lol.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Alright I see what you guys mean now. Actually he has the high flow catted system but its loud anyways because he's ripping it half the time lol.

Technically, hi-flo cats are illegal in most cases under Federal standards. For vehicles operated on the roadways, you can only replace catalytic converters if:

• The old ones are no longer functioning properly
  • You replace them with catalytic converters meeting OEM standards for your vehicle

mrlrd1

Established Member
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sale any muffler which causes excessive or unusual noise or annoying smoke or any muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device for use on a motor vehicle or for any person to use, to sell, or to offer for sale any motor vehicle equipped with any such muffler, muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

If your exhaust meets all of the above except part C you are 100% with in the law. Take pictures to court showing it qualifies and ticket will be droped. Part C is for people selling and has nothing to do with you driving down the road.

Can you read?

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Seems like I filled my CVPI up 2-3 times per 12 hour shift.

Get your pedal off the floor board and you wouldnt have that problem... Ive never had to do that, granted I work in a small town, but it has 86 roads and the run for 12 hours straight damn near.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
My town its not decibels, but it is a distance in which the officer hears it... basically the same as a loud stereo. Under Ohio law, you either need a muffler or a cat. Most farmers around here do not have mufflers on their beat up 95 1500 silverado.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Get your pedal off the floor board and you wouldnt have that problem... Ive never had to do that, granted I work in a small town, but it has 86 roads and the run for 12 hours straight damn near.

My area was about 200 square miles, up and down the entire north south end of the county all night.

Users who are viewing this thread