group buy for CF Wiper cowls!

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Sorry to hijak, but... If anyone is interested in selling me their stock cowl after installing the carbon piece, give me a PM with price please!

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
If this GB is still going in a couple weeks, I'll jump in with payment ready. Gotta pay a damn speeding ticket or I'd throw down cash right now!

Also, what's the word on the clear coat on this cowl. Is it going to be shot with auto clear so it won't crack and flake in the sun like so many carbon fiber hoods and wings I've seen?

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
it all depends on the epoxy used, clearcoat and expoxying are two different animals. But yes it is going to be heavily expoxied with UV resistant coating.

CFCreations

Established Member
Chris is right... materials make ALL the difference in wether or not the part discolors with time. You need to ask the seller if he is using UV resistant clear gel coat.

I know he is laying up his parts with polyester resin so he has to be using polyester gel coat. There is clear gel coat and there is the good stuff that is UV stable. Obviously the good stuff costs more $ and is usually reflected in the price. Tell this guy you want to see the gel coat tech specs and a picture of the can or drum it came in. The maker of the parts WAS HONEST with me when i asked him what materials he used for the lay up but I did not ask him about what resins and gel coat he uses. Also some lay up polyester resins will brown with age or right away. IMHO good cf polyester parts are laid up with crystal clear polyester resin. Many of the composites companies i consult with say it doesn't matter either way about the lay up resin.

If it ain't uv resistant gel coat it will yellow with time. Usually it is sold as "marine clear gel coat" if it is uv resistant.

I would say he is not using epoxy resin ( price is too low).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread