GT 500 motor blown...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtfx6552

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
fourcam has said all along that the rods in the gt500 are good for 600-650rwhp. along those same lines the pistons in the terminator are good up to 600rwhp.

why did you sell your terminator?

With a good tune, and IAT2 management, many terminators have gone past 600, quite a few are near or above 700 with Pd blowers. The Turbo guys are well beyond that.

Plus, if you burn a piston, you still have some useable parts to work with, Rod thru the block, not so much.

monsterpost

Established Member
Skywarp said:
So if the 500 uses Lighting rods what is the basic rwhp limit for a Lightning. Lighting owners chime in.

About 450 RWHP on the stock block. That number can vary, you can run more and get away with it or maybe not. Depends on the tune, outside temp, gas, too hot of plug, pluged fuel filter, who knows? I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until the real story is known. I sure hope everone is wrong about the GT 500 using the cheap rods, I really do. Ford should of learned from their mistakes "spelling" when they went through this with the Lightning. I wonder how how many Lightning motors Ford had to rebuild because rods let go. I sure hope everone is wrong about the rods:(

inteller

Established Member
guys you all need to inject a little bit of reality into this. they took a 400 hp motor and got it to make 500, and now you all are disappointed that it gives out at 580. GET REAL! yes ford had a history of underrated engines, but without a new block to be underrated, the pleasant surprises are going to be few and far between. Maybe that new 4.6 they are rumored to be making will be a return to underrated motors.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
jtfx6552 said:
With a good tune, and IAT2 management, many terminators have gone past 600, quite a few are near or above 700 with Pd blowers. The Turbo guys are well beyond that.

Plus, if you burn a piston, you still have some useable parts to work with, Rod thru the block, not so much.

He was speaking of supercharged HP. A turbo setup will yield more on the OEM componentry.

If you are over 650 WHP 95% of those people are pretty much on borrowed time. On a SAFE tune it will live crusing and messing around, and some strip time, but a couple minute high speed run will burn nearly every one of those cars down.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
jtfx6552 said:

+1

Ive made 693 on a ported eaton & 100 shot, KB guys with some n20 all in the 700's these days. Average Turbo guy at 20+ is into the 700's, have some of the twin 57mm cars in the 800's. Hellion just had their prototype stock longblock car with the new T88 kit made 1003whp @ 24psi on a STOCK motor as well. Burnt pistons seem to be the demise of most cobra's due the close setup from the factory, I have not heard or ever heard of a rod ever coming threw the block on an 03/04 no matter what the power adder or how bad the tuner was. I have 41k miles of pure hell on mine, all of it at 14+ psi, and sprayed weekly since the spring of 2004.

If its the same style rod as whats in the L, im sorry. These are hit or miss rods from what I have seen, Ive seen some guys take them to 600, and some only make to 400. Only time will tell, the #'s wont lie.

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
I'm watching this VERY close, my dads friend just got a cobra and hes at 625whp (honestly dont know what he has done)

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
John M said the same thing when I spoke to him...I obviously know it's an involved process, but none the less it has to be done if I want to put on a twin screw at 20#. :D
Last I heard, he isn't in the motor building business,...unless you're a personal friend!?! (Which would be nice....:rockon: )

back to the subject matter- at least one of the (oft spoken of) modular engine builders puts the 03/04 engine at about 500-550rwhp reliably (yes everyone on this board has made twice that and still running strong, blah blah...) so whats the big deal, if get serious with either motor, you end up rebuilding the bottom end, rods? or pistons? picking 1 is much better than picking both....
jtfx6552 said:

Sure, 700,800,1000rwhp for a few seconds, enough to make a dyno run, maybe enough to hit 130mph, maybe even a few passes with plenty of cool down and maybe some ice, but 20 minutes of hard driving(OT), or extended high speed runs will quickly put and end to that...

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
Last I heard, he isn't in the motor building business,...unless you're a personal friend!?! (Which would be nice....:rockon: )

back to the subject matter- at least one of the (oft spoken of) modular engine builders puts the 03/04 engine at about 500-550rwhp reliably (yes everyone on this board has made twice that and still running strong, blah blah...) so whats the big deal, if get serious with either motor, you end up rebuilding the bottom end, rods? or pistons? picking 1 is much better than picking both....
I am not a personal friend, but I do know him and have spoke with him regarding my shelby (I almost typed cobra lol) and he will work with me...he was gonna build a long block for my 04 before I decided to get the shelby.

TRBO VNM

I heard about this to, today, but don't have any other details. wish I did.

david, can't believe you are taking a shelby and planning all this. to each their own. I would have thought more of these cars would have been kept as collectors.

eci

Banned
TRBO VNM said:

david, can't believe you are taking a shelby and planning all this. to each their own. I would have thought more of these cars would have been kept as collectors.

Complete waste of a car to do that.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:

I am keeping it a street car. I look at this car as it is no different than my 04. I honestly don't think it's going to be a collectors car, at least not for 30-40 years from now...and at that point in time I am sure this car will be a distant memory of mine while I am driving around in my electric powered 9 second daily driver.

Last edited:

eci

Banned
TRBO VNM said:
what is? modding a future collector or not modding it?

It's not a future collector. "Wow look at my collector car. Yeah it's 1 of 9000 "

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Collector cars suck, you're gonna die, drive it already.

TRBO VNM

damn guys. I gave an opinion and you jump down my throat. I stated to each their own. I feel it will be a collector and with so many modding them and then "if" this possible issue with blown motors starts to continue and it wasn't just a fluke, there will be a lot fewer stockers floating around. Like dave said, it might be 40yrs down the road, but I personally think it will be a collector. you obviously feel otherwise, so who the hell cares. its an opinion.

personally I would have it and keep it stock and very low mileage. I would have other cars to drive and enjoy.

Collector cars suck, you're gonna die, drive it already.

again, matter of opinion.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
damn guys. I gave an opinion and you jump down my throat. I stated to each their own. I feel it will be a collector and with so many modding them and then "if" this possible issue with blown motors starts to continue and it wasn't just a fluke, there will be a lot fewer stockers floating around. Like dave said, it might be 40yrs down the road, but I personally think it will be a collector. you obviously feel otherwise, so who the hell cares. its an opinion.

personally I would have it and keep it stock and very low mileage. I would have other cars to drive and enjoy.

again, matter of opinion.

I don't care if it's a collectable. If I was a rich man many collectables would be driven into the ground. Churn and Burn!:rockon:

TEABG

Banned
jtfx6552 said:
This is relevant how?

First, no '03-04's blew this quick after the launch.
Second, I know of no '03-04's that put a rod or rods thru the block.

Yes quite a few burned pistons when the envlope was pushed (upper lower extreme high boost cars), but even that was due primarily to bad tuning and or bad gas.

For all the people getting the GT500, I hope this was somehow operator error, but it seems unlikely to me that the tune cause the rods to let go.

Good point, tune probably does not = rods. RPM/POWER typically does. If this is the case, possibly a bad set of rods!

chuckstang

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
it means nothing till we have details. Maybe somebody could get JDM to post in here. Either which way, I am throwing in some Billet I beams before I go crazy w/ mods.

Not to put you on the spot, but are you able to do all your own mods or how in the heck do you pay for it all!! Were all jealous but it's awsome that a forum member is going to mod their gt500 so we can hear from a real person rather than a shop trying to sell shit.
Funny thing is, I bet you will run better times to haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread