GT 500 motor blown...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
fourcam has said all along that the rods in the gt500 are good for 600-650rwhp. along those same lines the pistons in the terminator are good up to 600rwhp.

why did you sell your terminator?

Hey It was me that said that! over a year ago, I told my buddy Fourcam!
Damn you Fourcam you get all the credit! LOL.

Tim

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
This poached from BON/Stangs Unleashed:

DEARBORN, MI) TheGT500Source.com - There are several rumors on various web sites about Ford issuing a STOP ORDER shipment for the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500. Despite those rumors, Ford told StangsUnleashed.com today that they have NOT issued a STOP ORDER shipment for the GT500 and that they are shipping to Ford dealers.

In August 2006, Ford shipped over 800 Shelby GT500s from their AutoAlliance assembly plant in Flat Rock, Michigan. The August 2006 sales period marked the highest August sales month for the Mustang since 1979 ARTICLE.

The next Shelby Mustang will be the 2007 Shelby GT. The upcoming Shelby will feature styling cues from the Shelby GT-H and wil feature 325 horsepower. Unlike the 2007 GT500, the 2007 Shelby GT will undergo final assembly at Shelby Autos in Las Vegas, Nevada. News, articles, photos and videos of the Shelby GT and GT-H can be found here.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
damn, chefs straight outta school must make a shit ton of money these days

fwiw, thats disappointing to hear, but fairly expected.

ford isn't responsible for building a car that holds up to mods.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Let's not all jump to conclusions until we have hard facts.

-Jeff

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The GT500 has the same short block as the L's do. There are many 500+rwhp/600+rwtq lightnings out there and the record to date on a stock L longblock is 738 rwhp 795 rwtq on a single turbo at 23# on the dyno. It lifted the heads but didn't break anything. You guys should easily have 600+ hp DD with these cars mainly due to the DOHC and upcoming twin screw blowers. Just like always though it's ALL in the tune and these rods simply will not suffer poor or even marginal tuning for long at all. There is already one at 560 hp on a Mustang dyno at 14# which is well over 600 on a dynojet. Our 2v motors are doing well to make just over 400 rwhp at that boost level with an eaton.

As far as a collector item they may be one day but doesn't Ford plan to build over 40,000 of them over the next 4-5 years? Hardly rare.

I'm looking forward to seeing what one will ultimately make, with a twin screw and tuning I can easily expect 650+ but getting there will surely break a few eggs.

FBMphil

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
The GT500 has the same short block as the L's do.
No, it doesn't.

It doesn't have the same cast rods as the Lightning either, it has cracked FORGED I-beams. Crack forging is just another forging technique, they're not cast.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
FBMphil said:
No, it doesn't.

It doesn't have the same cast rods as the Lightning either, it has cracked FORGED I-beams. Crack forging is just another forging technique, they're not cast.

Your are Correct!

Tim

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Well I hope this is either a rumor or an isolated case. Remember that the car could've been a lemon from the factory. Even if this is true, it may not be the case for the majority of the shelbys. Either way...subscribing!

SLVRNBLK

Established Member
FBMphil said:
No, it doesn't.

+2....Factory Lightning connecting rods are NOT forged in any way, shape, or form PERIOD.

As a general rule of thumb, most Lightning owners will tell you that 450 RWHP is about as much as you can push the factory connecting rods COMFORTABLY. There are plenty of KB L's out there pushing more, but it is a bit of a gamble. I ran 11.60's at 116mph in my L, on the factory longblock, and my heart was in my throat every time I nailed the throttle.

GT500's are pushing 450 RWHP in stock form...no? 580 RWHP is pushing 650 HP at the crank(assuming 12% drivetrain losses). That's 150 more than stock. I realize folks are expecting to be able to push these cars, in terms of HP on the factory longblock, but 650 ponies is a lot to ask of a fully loaded, 4000 pound car, with factory internals, IMHO.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
SLVRNBLK said:
+2....Factory Lightning connecting rods are NOT forged in any way, shape, or form PERIOD.

As a general rule of thumb, most Lightning owners will tell you that 450 RWHP is about as much as you can push the factory connecting rods COMFORTABLY. There are plenty of KB L's out there pushing more, but it is a bit of a gamble. I ran 11.60's at 116mph in my L, on the factory longblock, and my heart was in my throat every time I nailed the throttle.

GT500's are pushing 450 RWHP in stock form...no? 580 RWHP is pushing 650 HP at the crank(assuming 12% drivetrain losses). That's 150 more than stock. I realize folks are expecting to be able to push these cars, in terms of HP on the factory longblock, but 650 ponies is a lot to ask of a fully loaded, 4000 pound car, with factory internals, IMHO.

Exactly!!! :beer:

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
My god, even more evidence that this car is only for the rich. Not only do you have to drop close to 50 grand to get it, you have to rebuild the sb... More and more proof that this is not a Mustang. This is a toy for the rich man.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
chuckstang said:
Not to put you on the spot, but are you able to do all your own mods or how in the heck do you pay for it all!! Were all jealous but it's awsome that a forum member is going to mod their gt500 so we can hear from a real person rather than a shop trying to sell shit.
Funny thing is, I bet you will run better times to haha
I don't do internal engine work, but everything else I can. Once I move to Chicago I won't be doing any stuff since I won't have any tools to work with.

I have mod money from selling all of the mods from my 04...it adds up.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
DSG2003SVT said:
Well I hope this is either a rumor or an isolated case. Remember that the car could've been a lemon from the factory. Even if this is true, it may not be the case for the majority of the shelbys. Either way...subscribing!

I hope it was a fluke. Otherwise Ford will have lots of angry customers when they release their twin screw 'kit'.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Are these cars really going to get the kind of gains from a twinscrew that the terminators do? The shelbys' stock M122 are supposed to be vastly superior to the M112 anyway. JW, anyone know? That's most likely why a stage 1port didn't gain any power for the Evolution car. A stage 1 blower on 03-04s would gain around 20+rwhp.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Twin screw will be a plus for sure, but will the bottom end handle it? Is Ford releasing a twin screw? I know I don't know shit, but i did surf SVTperformance last night. I'm as excited as the next guy about this. I went by the local Ford dealer yesterday and they say they still don't have andy Shelby's. I told him I wasn't in a hurry to get one and that I would have to buy a vette if there was any markup on it, he didn't seem to like the comment.:p

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
no cigar said:
My god, even more evidence that this car is only for the rich. Not only do you have to drop close to 50 grand to get it, you have to rebuild the sb... More and more proof that this is not a Mustang. This is a toy for the rich man.

and the terminator was not? you can get 600 out of the 03/04 before you need a rebuild. rebuilding the engine on top of the $35.5k msrp is not chicken feed money.

building any type of race car is a rich man's game. if you dont have the cash dont buy the car!:bash:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
PowerWheels said:
Twin screw will be a plus for sure, but will the bottom end handle it? Is Ford releasing a twin screw? I know I don't know shit, but i did surf SVTperformance last night. I'm as excited as the next guy about this. i wnt by the local Ford dealer yesterday and they say they still don't have andy Shelby's. I told him I wasn't in a hurry to get one and that i would have to buy a vette if there was any markup on it, he didn't seem to like the comment.:p

I'm sure a TS would be a plus, but how much? Would it be as much of an improvement as the 03-04s see?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
DSG2003SVT said:
I'm sure a TS would be a plus, but how much? Would it be as much of an improvement as the 03-04s see?
a twin screw is going to allow us to up the boost to whatever we want. It will be common occurance for 700+rwhp no n20, no turbo shelbys, where there are very few terminators that have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread