GT 500 motor blown...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
a twin screw is going to allow us to up the boost to whatever we want. It will be common occurance for 700+rwhp no n20, no turbo shelbys, where there are very few terminators that have done that.

Nice! Hopefully I'll be one of those few terminators :evilgrin: . I'm really only interested in pump gas safe setups though, I usually drive my heap around town. Only a few trips to the track this year, but the car's been down for mods so I'm hoping to race more often than that in the future.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
DSG2003SVT said:
Are these cars really going to get the kind of gains from a twinscrew that the terminators do? The shelbys' stock M122 are supposed to be vastly superior to the M112 anyway. JW, anyone know? That's most likely why a stage 1port didn't gain any power for the Evolution car. A stage 1 blower on 03-04s would gain around 20+rwhp.

+1

To me, the most impressive thing about the GT500 is the M122.

I am not a big fan of twin screws for street use. Since they compress air all the time, they create a lot of heat. Granted they are more efficent than a roots when under boost, but really, what percentage of the time is that? That is why the twin screw Benz's have a clutch.

The M122, really seems to be the best of both worlds. Ultimatley it won't be capable of the same Hp as a twin screw, but, given the right drive ratio I think they could give more than enough.

It really is ashame the way ford handicapped the car with the current pulley set-up. If someone figures out how to run the M122 at 16-17+ PSI, look out.

Skywarp

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
and the terminator was not? you can get 600 out of the 03/04 before you need a rebuild.

Yeah and the 500 only saw 580. Most Terminator owners experience problems when you make that 600 rwhp but not other supporting mods: example cooling or by trying to use the stock or ported eaton. Cooling mods have to be done. This 500 maybe an example of just the shortblock. No different than a 2v or 3V car pushed to the max.

GTWill

Established Member
What I think is funny is that this car has been written off at 580rwhp. With no specific info. being released. What a joke. That is like the mags running a few 1/4 mi. runs and the the potential for this car being determined. Until more GT500s are tested and driven no one can say what can really can be expected. Speculate if you must but that is all it is speculation.

Skywarp

Established Member
GTWill said:
What I think is funny is that this car has been written off at 580rwhp. With no specific info. being released. What a joke. That is like the mags running a few 1/4 mi. runs and the the potential for this car being determined. Until more GT500s are tested and driven no one can say what can really can be expected. Speculate if you must but that is all it is speculation.
This could be a sweep it under the carpet also. Out of sight out of mind. The person who intends to buy the car has the right to know. Who would want to come forward and say that they blew up their GT500 and now need a shortblock at least. Being at least $45k in the hole and a car that does'nt run :fm: :cuss:

SLVRNBLK

Established Member
no cigar said:
My god, even more evidence that this car is only for the rich. Not only do you have to drop close to 50 grand to get it, you have to rebuild the sb... More and more proof that this is not a Mustang. This is a toy for the rich man.

Man, you guys are awful harsh. You don't have to rebuild a damn thing unless you're pushing 650 HP at the crank!(according to the rumor of 580 WHP). I don't know about you, but 650 HP is a veritable SHITLOAD where I come from.

Show me a car, any car, you could waltz into your local dealer, and pick up for under $50K(Dealer ADM's not withstanding), that will spit out anything North of 550 WHP without significant beefing up of the factory reciprocating assembly. C5 or C6 Corvette(non ZO6)....don't think so. SRT8(any of them)....don't think so. Evo IX....nope. STi....not gonna happen. LS1 equipped T/A, Camaro....no sir.

Furthermore, to attain 550+ WHP with this car requires what? A pulley change, tune, freer flowing exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Last I checked, these were all bolt-ons. You ain't getting that kind of power out of any of the aforementioned cars without some serious wrench turning, internal engine modification, and requisite check writing/credit card debt acquisition.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as disappointed in the weight of the car as the next guy, but when you're gettin' 500 HP stock, for under $50K, sometimes ya gotta take the good with the bad. Just my .02.

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
I seem to recall Ford reps stating that 700 HP would not be difficult to attain with the GT500.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
SLVRNBLK said:
Man, you guys are awful harsh. You don't have to rebuild a damn thing unless you're pushing 650 HP at the crank!(according to the rumor of 580 WHP). I don't know about you, but 650 HP is a veritable SHITLOAD where I come from.

Show me a car, any car, you could waltz into your local dealer, and pick up for under $50K(Dealer ADM's not withstanding), that will spit out anything North of 550 WHP without significant beefing up of the factory reciprocating assembly. C5 or C6 Corvette(non ZO6)....don't think so. SRT8(any of them)....don't think so. Evo IX....nope. STi....not gonna happen. LS1 equipped T/A, Camaro....no sir.

Furthermore, to attain 550+ WHP with this car requires what? A pulley change, tune, freer flowing exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Last I checked, these were all bolt-ons. You ain't getting that kind of power out of any of the aforementioned cars without some serious wrench turning, internal engine modification, and requisite check writing/credit card debt acquisition.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as disappointed in the weight of the car as the next guy, but when you're gettin' 500 HP stock, for under $50K, sometimes ya gotta take the good with the bad. Just my .02.

ls1 z28=25k
mild heads/cam-3k =430rwhp NA
nx wet kit=800

550rwhp and 55rwtq on a 100shot

no forged bottom end.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
quadcammer said:
ls1 z28=25k
nx wet kit=800

no forged bottom end.

What's with that math? You runnin a 100 shot or a 400 shot on that thing??? :D

GTWill

Established Member
Skywarp said:
This could be a sweep it under the carpet also. Out of sight out of mind. The person who intends to buy the car has the right to know. Who would want to come forward and say that they blew up their GT500 and now need a shortblock at least. Being at least $45k in the hole and a car that does'nt run :fm: :cuss:
Interesting speculation.

SLVRNBLK

Established Member
quadcammer said:
ls1 z28=25k
nx wet kit=800

no forged bottom end.

I realize there are folks out there pushing the limits of their stock bottom ends, and I was speaking in general terms. My point was, 650 HP is a A LOT of fricking HP, and it is a tad harsh to say a car isn't worth having, because one bottom end gives up at that figure(reportedly).

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
SLVRNBLK said:
I realize there are folks out there pushing the limits of their stock bottom ends, and I was speaking in general terms. My point was, 650 HP is a A LOT of fricking HP, and it is a tad harsh to say a car isn't worth having, because one bottom end gives up at that figure(reportedly).
The thing is, once you start modding all bets are off, it's open game, HP is meanless...HP/weight ratio is not.

There's way too many other options to go faster for a lot less money than this thing if real speed is the point of the matter.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
10.5secAWDTALON said:
That's the price not the HP.

aaaaaaaah I see, just confused me the way he typed it:
ls1 z28=25k
nx wet kit=800

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
quadcammer said:
ls1 z28=25k
nx wet kit=800

no forged bottom end.
Damn I'm going to buy a camaro! :lol1:
**** THAT!:lol:

bubbrubb

quadcammer said:
ls1 z28=25k
nx wet kit=800

no forged bottom end.
hmmm, I think he made mention of waltzing into a dealer... and well, that kinda defeats the whole camaro thing for a few more years to come... But the LS2 GTO could still fit the bill ;-)

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Yeah, it's true it sucks that someone's engine let go, if it did. Really can't complain tho...oyure taking a warratied car with 500 crank hp and running it up at like 675 crank hp and then getting stressed when it breaks. As a N/A SN-95 guy...it cracks me up to hear these cars, some with like 440'ish rwhp with a warranty and you guys are still trying to squeeze more juice outta them and blow them up. I think everyone expected that Ford would heed the lessons learned from the Terminators and fix them here with the GT500. God, they had the rods figured out in the 03/04's...why didn't they just leave them alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread