Has anyone done a coyote swapped rx7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGC

Established Member
If I had the dough, I would put a Boss 302 DOHC crate motor in a Porsche Cayman S. 444 hp- 444 pounds..yummy! And that's without any mods.

I have not measured the engine bay in one yet but I'll bet it would fit without too much hassle.

I would prefer that to one in an RX7, though I am sure a Coyote in one of them would rock too but that's a wide engine compared to a LS1 or LS7 series engine.

Jimmy, boss motor in a cayman = awesome idea! First time I've ever heard of that. I just want to swap a coyote into something because it's an awesome platform, maybe my fox body over the winter.. Back to the OP I would really like to see someone do that swap, would be such a fun car, easy to make power, reliable, what's not to like?

No, I think they're fine motors. I'm probably going to put a smallblock in my roadster project if it ever gets off the ground. :rolling: I'm sour because everyone with an LS1 thinks that it's the greatest engine ev4r. The only difference between God and an LS1 driver is that God dosen't walk around acting like he's got an LS1...:rolleyes: They're like the U2 of motors. They're pretty good, but highly overrated. I'm just tired of seeing them swapped into anything and everything because "It's an LS1, bro!"

Don't get involved in diesels then... People put cummins in everything haha. Nothing wrong with crossbreeding IMO if it makes sense in either a fiscal sense or performance sense, or both.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
But can you build and maintain a rotary as cheap as an LS1?

Most people don't build LSx RX-7s for corner carving fun, although I'm sure some do and I imagine they work perfectly well. My main purpose for wanting an LS1 RX-7 is the fact that with just a stock motor in it it'll probably run mid or low 12s. Bolt-ons and a small shot of nitrous and you're securely in the 10s.

Waste of that car to build it just for 1320.

96project

Established Member
So? Stick with your ponycars if you can't afford to maintain a rotary. :shrug: Living your life a quarter mile at a time is fun if you're easily amused but you really haven't lived 'till you're clipping an apex at 10,000 RPM...

Living your life quarter mile at a time is also more fun when it happens sooner than 14.02secs :shrug:

MGC

Established Member
Interesting! Cool, thanks for sharing. Still won't put an LS1 in mine, though. :D

You can put an LS1 in your RX7 and be faster, louder and more reliable than me, and I can still think you're a hillbilly for doing it. :beer:

I did think it was interesting that a Ls1 improved weight distribution, only weighed 15 pounds more and would leave your rotary in the dust, all while being a proven reliable platform (unlike rotaries.) :beer:

You said yourself your only complaint is that everyone does it, must be a reason... Surely there isn't that many rednecks out there right...

Don't worry, I don't have a rx7 and wont "ruin" one by redneckifying it, I have a AIX car I use to get around mazda's on track... :poke:

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I did think it was interesting that a Ls1 improved weight distribution, only weighed 15 pounds more and would leave your rotary in the dust, all while being a proven reliable platform (unlike rotaries.) :beer:

You said yourself your only complaint is that everyone does it, must be a reason... Surely there isn't that many rednecks out there right...

Don't worry, I don't have a rx7 and wont "ruin" one by redneckifying it, I have a AIX car I use to get around mazda's on track... :poke:

The rotary engine is the whole point of that chassis...that's my beef. :shrug: Driving one with an LS1 would be like rolling in the hay with a cougar who is inexperienced. It's still fun, but you're missing the whole point of the exercise.

If I wanted an LS-powered sports car I'd do an Ultima kit anyways. :thumbsup:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
So? Stick with your ponycars if you can't afford to maintain a rotary. :shrug: Living your life a quarter mile at a time is fun if you're easily amused but you really haven't lived 'till you're clipping an apex at 10,000 RPM...

I was going to build an ls1 rx7 a few years back. Just an fyi, according to the owner of Henson super cars(basically originated this swap), an ls1 swap cuts over 50 lbs off the front of the car thanks to an all aluminum motor and tubular k-member/suspension. It also gives you the low end grunt that you want for pulling out of a corner, AND it puts the weight distribution at a perfect 50/50, with the rotary they are something like 52/48. So your nut swinging argument is flawed, but thanks for playing:beer:

P.S. The coyote motor is something like 25-30lbs LIGHTER than an LS1 motor.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
damn, MGC beat me to it.

lol

Also lol @ both of the clowns bringing my car into the argument. Sorry, I have more than one car to play with, the Cobra stays stock for now. Ooh, I'm such a lameass, I was "only" able to muster the exact times listed in the manual...:rollseyes Anyways, have fun playing with your ONE car that is good at exactly ONE thing. Why are we talking about my car, anyway? I thought we were talking about LS1s and Coyotes in RX7s...oh that's right, you didn't have anything to contribute to the argument so you just brought up something in my sig. So let's make fun of the guy with a stock Cobra. On a Mustang forum. And one of you even owns a Mystic. Pathetic. :loser:

a proven reliable platform (unlike rotaries.) :beer:

This intrigues me. Mazda won overall at Le Mans in 1991 based ENTIRELY on the strength & reliability of the R26B. To date, the only Japanese manufacturer with an overall win there. Has the LSx won overall at Le Mans? I'm not asking to be a smartass, I'm genuinely curious, and I'd like to be pleasantly surprised (like I was with the weight distribution thing).

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
lol

Also lol @ both of you bringing my car into the argument. Sorry, I have more than one car to play with, the Cobra stays stock for now. Ooh, I'm such a lameass, I was "only" able to muster the exact times listed in the manual...:rollseyes Anyways, have fun playing with your ONE car that is good at exactly ONE thing. Why are we talking about my car, anyway? I thought we were talking about LS1s and Coyotes in RX7s...oh that's right, you didn't have anything to contribute to the argument so you just brought up something in my sig. So let's make fun of the guy with a stock Cobra. On a Mustang forum. And one of you even owns a Mystic. Pathetic. :loser:

Lol wat? Anyways... I wasn't talking about your car, couldn't care less about your car :shrug: you mentioned racing and I was simply pointing out how ass-in-nine it is to say a ls1 swap is hillbilly, when it's actually a superior choice for racing. My mention of my AIX car is to show you I actually have experience on the track to back up my position, do you? And I never made fun of you? :shrug:

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Lol wat? Anyways... I wasn't talking about your car, couldn't care less about your car :shrug: you mentioned racing and I was simply pointing out how ass-in-nine it is to say a ls1 swap is hillbilly, when it's actually a superior choice for racing. My mention of my AIX car is to show you I actually have experience on the track to back up my position, do you? And I never made fun of you? :shrug:

Naw man, I was talking to some Camaro guy and a Mystic guy on the last page. I don't have a beef with you, you've actually posted useful information. I love being proven wrong - learned a lot of cool stuff that way. :beer:

The only part of that post directed at you was the bit about LSxs at Le Mans.

Last edited:

96project

Established Member
Naw man, I was talking to some Camaro guy and a Mystic guy on the last page. I don't have a beef with you, you've actually posted useful information. I love being proven wrong - learned a lot of cool stuff that way. :beer:

It was a joke, it'll be ok. And yes, I own my cobra, ls1 trans am, a gsxr600 and a little ranger..

Since I need to post an opinion about the thread.. I think rx7's with ls1's are awsome. That would be like a miata with a ls1.. Any car enthusiest would appreciate the power to weight ratio in a car like that, no matter what kinda racing. But for a street car, you can't beat the idea of ls1 in a rx7. :coolman:

MGC

Established Member

Gotcha, my point about reliability was just more of a broad statement since rotaries tend to have problems with apex seals, they are an interesting engine though and I think it's cool to see them built up, but to each his own, a ls1 rx7 would be an extremely fun car too though, and I was just saying I can understand the rationale behind the swap. A coyote swap would be even better IMO, if it fits. :beer:

Jroc

Established Member
I would love to squeeze a new 5.0 between a 3rd Gen RX7's strut towers. It would be an awesome car.

Get a Roadrunner in there with some good aftermarket valve springs, and a good tune, and be turning 8K+ RPMN's and making some very impressive N/A HP in a car that weighs less than 2,800 lb's, and is nearly perfectly balanced FTW. Throw a turbo on the motor for an insanely fast street car.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
lol

Also lol @ both of the clowns bringing my car into the argument. Sorry, I have more than one car to play with, the Cobra stays stock for now. Ooh, I'm such a lameass, I was "only" able to muster the exact times listed in the manual...:rollseyes Anyways, have fun playing with your ONE car that is good at exactly ONE thing. Why are we talking about my car, anyway? I thought we were talking about LS1s and Coyotes in RX7s...oh that's right, you didn't have anything to contribute to the argument so you just brought up something in my sig. So let's make fun of the guy with a stock Cobra. On a Mustang forum. And one of you even owns a Mystic. Pathetic. :loser:

This intrigues me. Mazda won overall at Le Mans in 1991 based ENTIRELY on the strength & reliability of the R26B. To date, the only Japanese manufacturer with an overall win there. Has the LSx won overall at Le Mans? I'm not asking to be a smartass, I'm genuinely curious, and I'd like to be pleasantly surprised (like I was with the weight distribution thing).

Who else in this thread has a "Mystic" or Mystichrome?

Don't lump me in with those guys.:dw::shrug:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Why not have the best of both worlds? .... and maybe we don't want to have to rebuild our motor every 60 thousand miles or have to tune it within an inch of it's life just to get it to that 60k mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread