Has anyone done a coyote swapped rx7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiohtee

Established Member
actually I think swapping a ls1 or 5.0 into a rx8 would be even cooler. Nobody will see it coming and its a great DD

It's usually only done to cars that are worth a #### in the first place. :shrug:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
It's usually only done to cars that are worth a #### in the first place. :shrug:

I think the rx8 is an almost perfect car. Good options, its a sedanishcoupe, great weight balance, great interior, I like the exterior hell I like everything about the car save the motor. a ls1 t56 rx8 would be tits

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
lol

Also lol @ both of the clowns bringing my car into the argument. Sorry, I have more than one car to play with, the Cobra stays stock for now. Ooh, I'm such a lameass, I was "only" able to muster the exact times listed in the manual...:rollseyes Anyways, have fun playing with your ONE car that is good at exactly ONE thing. Why are we talking about my car, anyway? I thought we were talking about LS1s and Coyotes in RX7s...oh that's right, you didn't have anything to contribute to the argument so you just brought up something in my sig. So let's make fun of the guy with a stock Cobra. On a Mustang forum. And one of you even owns a Mystic. Pathetic. :loser:

This intrigues me. Mazda won overall at Le Mans in 1991 based ENTIRELY on the strength & reliability of the R26B. To date, the only Japanese manufacturer with an overall win there. Has the LSx won overall at Le Mans? I'm not asking to be a smartass, I'm genuinely curious, and I'd like to be pleasantly surprised (like I was with the weight distribution thing).

LOL at LeMans for a long term reliability argument... are you joking? So it can go a few hundred miles. That is a FAR cry from long term reliability. A bolt on LSX with a good tune will last easily 2-3 times longer than a rotary. The main bitch from the rotary guys here in Japan is the fact that you have to rebuild them much more frequently than a pushrod or modular motor.

Also - to answer your question:
Corvette Racing Wins 24 Hours of Le Mans - Corvette Racing

Chevrolet Corvette C5-R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yeah- LSX's have proven to be a very reliable platform. Any other questions:rollseyes

Last edited:

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
LOL at LeMans for a long term reliability argument... are you joking? So it can go a few hundred miles. That is a FAR cry from long term reliability. A bolt on LSX with a good tune will last easily 2-3 times longer than a rotary. The main bitch from the rotary guys here in Japan is the fact that you have to rebuild them much more frequently than a pushrod or modular motor.

So yeah- LSX's have proven to be a very reliable platform. Any other questions:rollseyes

Those are class wins, show me all the overall wins.

blackvette101

Established Member
Straight up if rotories were that good people would actually be using them. It's not like mazda has a patent on all rotories any company could use them if they were that good. And even mazda only puts it in one low production sports cars. And in the aftermarket everyone is tossing out there rotories like junk for V8's and 2j's/RB's. 10,000 rpm isn't a whole lot of fun with no torque or reliability problems.

I was going to build an ls1 rx7 a few years back. Just an fyi, according to the owner of Henson super cars(basically originated this swap), an ls1 swap cuts over 50 lbs off the front of the car thanks to an all aluminum motor and tubular k-member/suspension. It also gives you the low end grunt that you want for pulling out of a corner, AND it puts the weight distribution at a perfect 50/50, with the rotary they are something like 52/48. So your nut swinging argument is flawed, but thanks for playing:beer:

P.S. The coyote motor is something like 25-30lbs LIGHTER than an LS1 motor.

I believe you got that backwords bro a fully dressed LS is just under 500 and a fully dressed coyote is just over 550.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

Le Mans is a good test of reliability! Those cars are making an all out effort for 24 straight hours. If any test or race will find the limits in a car it's Le Mans.

Something else to take into consideration, rotaries drink down the gas like there's no tomorrow. Swapping in a LSX or 5.0 would make more power, more torque, be just a balanced and have better gas mileage. Not to mention the car would only weigh 3000lbs.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Le Mans is a good test of reliability! Those cars are making an all out effort for 24 straight hours. If any test or race will find the limits in a car it's Le Mans.

Something else to take into consideration, rotaries drink down the gas like there's no tomorrow. Swapping in a LSX or 5.0 would make more power, more torque, be just a balanced and have better gas mileage. Not to mention the car would only weigh 3000lbs.

AND eat oil...

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
AND eat oil...

That's part of the design. Oil is injected into the rotor housings at WOT to prevent wear to the rotor tip seals. Many owners eliminate the metering pump and just run premix. I rebuilt my oil metering system a couple years back, it's not terribly complicated, just different from anything I'd seen on a piston engine.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I believe you got that backwords bro a fully dressed LS is just under 500 and a fully dressed coyote is just over 550.

What are you talking about? Dressed in what? I understand that once you have the motors place inside the engine bay the get accessaries mounted, but what you're quoting is a lot. I've seen listed weights for the LS3 between 415-450 lbs, and for the 5.0 Coyote between 430-444 lbs. GMPP lists a LS3 crate motor at at 415 lbs,(I believe a LS7 with it's oiling system is listed at more) but others I've seen listed the shipping weight for a LS3 at 450. Of course you may have to add the packaging and stuff to the weight of the motor when quoting shipping weighs, but Ford lists the shipping weight for a new Coyote at 430 lbs, while Ford Racing lists the Coyote/Roadrunner motors at 444 lbs. If I remember correctly the old 05-09 Mustnag GT's all aluminum 4.6L 3v motor was suppose to weight almost exactly the same as a LS1/2/3.

Last edited:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
What are you talking about? Dressed in what? I understand that once you have the motors place inside the engine bay the get accessaries mounted, but what you're quoting is a lot. I've seen listed weights for the LS3 between 415-450 lbs, and for the 5.0 Coyote between 430-444 lbs. GMPP lists a LS3 crate motor at at 415 lbs,(I believe a LS7 with it's oiling system is listed at more) but others I've seen listed the shipping weight for a LS3 at 450. Of course you may have to add the packaging and stuff to the weight of the motor when quoting shipping weighs, but Ford lists the shipping weight for a new Coyote at 430 lbs, while Ford Racing lists the Coyote/Roadrunner motors at 444 lbs. If I remember correctly the old 05-09 Mustnag GT's all aluminum 4.6L 3v motor was suppose to weight almost exactly the same as a LS1/2/3.

the ls3 and ls2 weigh the same but the ls1 weighs a bit 25lbs ish less

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
CVDH - I don't think at this point anybody can sway you from the rotary engine and that's fine. If YOU like it and all it's inherent weaknesses that's on you. Some of us like a more efficient, more, powerful, and longer lasting motor. You have your tastes- we have ours.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
CVDH - I don't think at this point anybody can sway you from the rotary engine and that's fine. If YOU like it and all it's inherent weaknesses that's on you. Some of us like a more efficient, more, powerful, and longer lasting motor. You have your tastes- we have ours.

I wouldn't go that far, the quad rotaries, now that is some serious power potential! They were banned from Le Mans largely because everyone was convinced they were cheating,somehow. Truth be told they just didn't understand the rotaries and how they worked or their power potential. That is what really killed them, being banned and it's really unfortunate. I'm not a rotary nut swinger by any means but don't dismiss them complete just because you don't understand them. If I had a RX-7 I would still want to do a LSX swap only because I would be more comfortable working with something familiar with a lot better aftermarket support and better availability of parts and services. But there is no denying that a well built rotary can make big power.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I wouldn't go that far, the quad rotaries, now that is some serious power potential! They were banned from Le Mans largely because everyone was convinced they were cheating,somehow. Truth be told they just didn't understand the rotaries and how they worked or their power potential. That is what really killed them, being banned and it's really unfortunate. I'm not a rotary nut swinger by any means but don't dismiss them complete just because you don't understand them. If I had a RX-7 I would still want to do a LSX swap only because I would be more comfortable working with something familiar with a lot better aftermarket support and better availability of parts and services. But there is no denying that a well built rotary can make big power.

I don't like them BECAUSE I understand them. Not the other way around. They have to rebuilt FAR more frequently than LSX's or Modulars, they get CRAP fuel economy, the torque is pretty weak too despite big hp #'s, and the tuning has to absolutely spot on as does the mixing of the gas etc. So you can REV past 10k- if I want to do that I'll get a bike.

I have several friends over here in Japan that have them- even the biggest fans admit to the drawbacks I have pointed out - I've chosen to learn from their mistakes. I just don't want to deal with the headaches- especially when there are better options available. And lets face it- I'm pretty sure I am not going to be racing in LeMans anytime soon- so no matter how many times the rotary has won there it doesn't really effect me.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
You're*

And what bearing does that have on anything, Cali boy? :dw:

As far as LS1s are concerned, hey, I have no beef with them. Pushrods are cool. I think my grandfather told me he had a car with some once.
Rotary engines>LS7. Screw pushrods, give me the ingeniously designed rotating block.

I can't for the life of me figure out why engine designers haven't jumped ship to rotary. It just doesn't compute.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Check out this Coyote build...

Molten Motorsports 2013 Ultra 4 Car by LII - Pirate4x4.Com

665A0E46-FE20-4D21-B1EB-878FDA780C2D-28393-00000FA03560C969.jpg

46AE22B1-90E3-4EEE-913D-05906FF0CC5A-28393-00000FA041BE5D9C.jpg

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Ok Cam, Neato and all you Rotary fanbois....IF rotaries are the Gods gift to the automotive world why is it you never see rotary swaps INTO other cars? You ever see a Rotary Vette, Mustang, Camaro, Supra's, Jeeps (for all those rock crawlers) etc? NO WAY. You always see it the other way around. I've seen multiple vids of LSX, 5.0, 2JZ etc etc swapped Mazda's but never the other way. If rotaries are as good as you say they are why hasn't the automotive world jumped on board....... could it be for ALL the drawbacks previously mentioned........ think about it. We already know the answer to this!!

95SC

Banned
We won't see rotary engines in cars these days because of very poor powerband and horrible gas mileage

3850lb car with 662 hp supercharged 5.8 V8 motor gets better gas mileage then 3000lb car with 232hp N/A 1.3 rotary motor .

Compare Side-by-Side

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Nobody is denying that a rotary engine can make power, especially for such little displacement. But Hondas can make great power too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread