hood vents and heat

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
how well do the 95 style cowl hoods compare to the stockers for heat escape. cervinis has to large openings in the rear i belive

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Cool. Thanks. I'd love to get those for my red 04. I don't drive daily, but occasionaly I might get caught in rain, when it decides to sneek up on us here in MI.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
For me there's no question that most of the heat comes off the Eaton. You can fry an egg on that thing for an hour after it's been off.

MVD

Established Member
Cool. Thanks. I'd love to get those for my red 04. I don't drive daily, but occasionaly I might get caught in rain, when it decides to sneek up on us here in MI.

Who cares if you get caught in the rain, what do you think will happen to the water when you are washing the car?

Jefe

Established Member
For me there's no question that most of the heat comes off the Eaton. You can fry an egg on that thing for an hour after it's been off.

With the eaton and the T56 Id say theres more heat towards the back of the motor than the front. Beneath the hood vents is practically nothing anyways so the majority of the heat just runs forward till it finds the vent holes. I had my under hood painted to match and the hood vents painted black. Hopefully they hold up nicely during the AZ heat....

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i was a little leary when i pulled the heat blanket out of the car for heat damage to the hood, but it actually stays cooler and cools quicker without the vent covers or heat blanket. Being in Houston, it was a large concern to me, but +1 to everyone else that says you can see the heat coming out. At stoplights on occassions, it nearly looks as if the car is on fire there is so much heat billowing out, but within minutes of stopping the hood is cool. I love this stock hood. Looks great and is hella functional!

foreprecision

Established Member

Thank you all for your support of the Fore Precision hood vents!!!

03cobra#694-
The hood vents look great on your car!!:banana:

SVT32VDOHC-
Give me a call tomorrow (919-550-0700) and I'll answer any questions that you have about the Fore Precision hood vents. We have a clamping system that will prevent damage to your hood.

Michelle

eludercobra

Established Member
Thank you all for your support of the Fore Precision hood vents!!!

03cobra#694-
The hood vents look great on your car!!:banana:

SVT32VDOHC-
Give me a call tomorrow (919-550-0700) and I'll answer any questions that you have about the Fore Precision hood vents. We have a clamping system that will prevent damage to your hood.

Michelle

They fit good but I had to do a little filing to install them, didn't chip the paint at all, just take your time and be careful.

You can see the dust on my hood from filing to get them to fit
CIMG1077.jpg

Phxcobra

Established Member
The trick with the vents isn't about directly venting heat per say as much as helping draw more flow through the radiator. I believe racebronco's hood is set up to extract more flow through the radiator. Block in the side of the radiator and position large vents correctly to get more flow through the radiator. I think he's still planning on making hoods for people. Maybe he'll chime in here at some point. Look in the open track forum for his threads. He's done a lot with testing of hoods/vents.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
+1 on the Fore Precision vents. I have them and they fit incredibly well. The added benefit is the fact that they look insanely good.

racebronco2

Established Member
I like that, and can understand how it would be an improvement over the stock hood as far as extracting heat. I'm really surprised that no-one has yet done a hood like that for retail. Nice!

To make it feasable for suppliers to make this hood they would need to sell at least 50 hoods.

how well do the 95 style cowl hoods compare to the stockers for heat escape. cervinis has to large openings in the rear i belive

The rear of the cowl hoods is a high pressure area, great for feeding carbed vehicles but bad for heat extraction.

I have driven mine in rain storms, wash my car and no problems yet.

With the eaton and the T56 Id say theres more heat towards the back of the motor than the front. Beneath the hood vents is practically nothing anyways so the majority of the heat just runs forward till it finds the vent holes. I had my under hood painted to match and the hood vents painted black. Hopefully they hold up nicely during the AZ heat....

The heat from the tranny does not vent to the back of the engine. The heat from under the hood does not run forward. With the airflow going thru the radiator just vents where it can which on a stock mustang is under the car unless you have heat extractor vents.

The trick with the vents isn't about directly venting heat per say as much as helping draw more flow through the radiator. I believe racebronco's hood is set up to extract more flow through the radiator. Block in the side of the radiator and position large vents correctly to get more flow through the radiator. I think he's still planning on making hoods for people. Maybe he'll chime in here at some point. Look in the open track forum for his threads. He's done a lot with testing of hoods/vents.

My connection for the carbon fiber guy is lost, he fell in love and moved out of the country. Cost for the mock-up will be around 1500.00 and it's to costly for me. I have done a couple of hoods for some of my friends.

primeredhood003wincevd2.jpg

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
so the best hood is the stock hood (which i dont have)... how does the hood vents on the stocker pull more airflow, does the air curve down and get sucked in from the back of the radiator under the vents, like a weird circular motion

Phxcobra

Established Member
To make it feasable for suppliers to make this hood they would need to sell at least 50 hoods.

The rear of the cowl hoods is a high pressure area, great for feeding carbed vehicles but bad for heat extraction.

I have driven mine in rain storms, wash my car and no problems yet.

The heat from the tranny does not vent to the back of the engine. The heat from under the hood does not run forward. With the airflow going thru the radiator just vents where it can which on a stock mustang is under the car unless you have heat extractor vents.

My connection for the carbon fiber guy is lost, he fell in love and moved out of the country. Cost for the mock-up will be around 1500.00 and it's to costly for me. I have done a couple of hoods for some of my friends.

primeredhood003wincevd2.jpg

Can i be your friend? ;-) Perhaps a Tiger Racing hood then. So expensive though.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
so the best hood is the stock hood (which i dont have)... how does the hood vents on the stocker pull more airflow, does the air curve down and get sucked in from the back of the radiator under the vents, like a weird circular motion

Well air is a fluid. My guess is that once it passes through the radiator it is looking for the fastest way out in our case the hood vents. As the air flows over the stock hood my guess is it creates a leeward pressure (suction) as it passes the hood vents to help suck the air from the engine bay out.

I may be wrong but if you look at the characteristics of air flow it makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread