hood vents and heat

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Hot air is the fluid of concern - in other words heat out, not cool in. Heat is extracted as it tries to escape where it's most plentiful, under the hood. The low pressure spot helps, but a hole would do about the same.

Last edited:

foreprecision

Established Member
They fit good but I had to do a little filing to install them, didn't chip the paint at all, just take your time and be careful.

You can see the dust on my hood from filing to get them to fit
CIMG1077.jpg

Eludercobra-
Yes, as you found out, the Cobra hoods are hand cut around where the hood vents go. This causes some Cobra owners to have to file away a small amount of material. Not too much as you found out.
BTW-the hood vents look great on your car!!
Michelle

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Hot air is the fluid of concern - in other words heat out, not cool in. Heat is extracted as it tries to escape where it's most plentiful, under the hood. The low pressure spot helps, but a hole would do about the same.

A hole in the hood would not do that same. The reason the cobra hood is recessed is to create a low pressure area. Air passing over the hood creates a vacuum to extract the hot air from under the hood. With a hole in the hood there would be no vacuum and more air would just be force into the engine compartment by the rearward edge of the hole.

On my hood a created more of a high pressure by modding a lip in front of the opening. Tiger racing had an influence on the louvers i later added.

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
A hole in the hood would not do that same. The reason the cobra hood is recessed is to create a low pressure area. Air passing over the hood creates a vacuum to extract the hot air from under the hood. With a hole in the hood there would be no vacuum and more air would just be force into the engine compartment by the rearward edge of the hole.

On my hood a created more of a high pressure by modding a lip in front of the opening. Tiger racing had an influence on the louvers i later added.

makes sense. i love all the science behind this stuff

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member

I see what you are saying. The speed is very important on creating the low-pressure pull. At lower speeds, a hole would work the same because the speed can't create a vacuum. Either way, another ingenious hidden element of these cars that both looks cool and serves a valuble function. Post pics of your setup, I'm quite curious to see it :rockon:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
is there any tests to see the performance gain from them though

yeah the same way you test a ram/cold air intake :)

after reading this thread I may actually keep my Saleen heat extractor hood on terminated 98. I wanted a cowl hood so bad but I didn't realize the heat extractor hood should be better for this than a cowl indiction hood with the vents at the back.

rem177

Established Member
I was going to make my own thread - but I may as well post in here...

I need a new hood for my 04.
Im not sure if I should get an aftermarket hood for a little less, or get the stock one.
And the heat issue is one ive always wondered about.

would this 'cobra R' style hood fit on my 04?
and which year/style cobra R hood is this exactly?

Ford Racing M-16612-R00 - Ford Racing SVT Cobra R Hoods - summitracing.com

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
from what i understand, the cobra R offers no cooling really. i could be way wrong, but it has no openings or vents.

racebronco2

Established Member
yeah the same way you test a ram/cold air intake :)

after reading this thread I may actually keep my Saleen heat extractor hood on terminated 98. I wanted a cowl hood so bad but I didn't realize the heat extractor hood should be better for this than a cowl indiction hood with the vents at the back.

The tests i have done with my hood was comparing to stock 03/04 cobra hoods. My temps are about 15-20 degree cooling then their temps with similar set-ups. The problem with the stock 03/04 and probably the saleen hood is as the air exits the radiator it must make a sharp upward movement to be able to exit thru the hood. My hood the air exits almost straight into the heat extractor location. On my hood when the fans turn all you need to do is to put your hand outside the car by the a-pillar (when it is idling) and you can feel the hot air from the engine compartment. With the stock vents you cannot feel the hot air escaping.

QUOTE=steedafever;7990100]from what i understand, the cobra R offers no cooling really. i could be way wrong, but it has no openings or vents.[/QUOTE]

Some people have used a dremel to cut out the backside of the small opening. Haven't read anything as far as cooling goes.

DocB

Established Member
My Cobra R hood has screened vents at the back of the cowl near the windshield. I believe this is a low pressure area and pulls heat out the back, top of the engine bay while driving. Sure feels aweful hot to the hand.
No hard data yet, but will let you know later this Spring.

racebronco2

Established Member
My Cobra R hood has screened vents at the back of the cowl near the windshield. I believe this is a low pressure area and pulls heat out the back, top of the engine bay while driving. Sure feels aweful hot to the hand.
No hard data yet, but will let you know later this Spring.

The base of the windshield is a high pressure area and under hood is a low pressure area. I did a yarn test and taped yarn on the cowl and the rear part of the hood. After about 30 miles per hour all the yarn was in the crevice between the hood and cowl.

Users who are viewing this thread