hood vents and heat

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Mine fit right in,no problems.I`d maybe use a fine file and take a little bit off at a time,just keep re-checking for a correct fit.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm going to be tackling the install of the Fore vents this weekend, what did you guys use to "massage" the hood if they didn't bolt right in for you?
Matt, better be prepared for a challenging install........mine took 3 minutes and 42 seconds to install. Would of been quicker, but I was scared to death of dropping one of those little screws down onto the motor. :banana:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Certainly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but since the topic of the thread concerns heat, I think everyone would agree that the Fore vents have a greater ability for heat dissapation than the Billetflow vents.

016-2.gif

dm5hyu.jpg

that might be the case, but id rather run no vents than spend 200$ on those. i have other mods in mind to lower engine temps. :beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I had to do a little bit of filing on my hood to get perfect fit, but it took just a few minutes, and the vents cover up the area that you file, so it's no biggie at all. I do plan to add some screens to the underside of mine, though, because I don't really like the big openings, that have people wanting to stick their hands into!

black 10th vert

Established Member
probably because that is BF's design, and they are still in business, so it would be a very UPR type thing to use that style! In my opinion that design looks very much like the cooking surface on my gas grill, which is the main reason I went with the Fore ones. If someone could make them with thin, stock like slots, that would be cool, but I don't see that happening as these cars get older, and there are less, and less of them.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
probably because that is BF's design, and they are still in business, so it would be a very UPR type thing to use that style! In my opinion that design looks very much like the cooking surface on my gas grill, which is the main reason I went with the Fore ones. If someone could make them with thin, stock like slots, that would be cool, but I don't see that happening as these cars get older, and there are less, and less of them.

I agree Brian,becoming a niche market.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Matt, better be prepared for a challenging install........mine took 3 minutes and 42 seconds to install. Would of been quicker, but I was scared to death of dropping one of those little screws down onto the motor. :banana:
Good to hear Dwight! All I could picture in my mind was fiberglass dust everywhere as I fought to make these suckers fit. I shouldn't have doubted the quality of the Fore vents. :rockon:

I think there is an old pic floating around here on SVTP of Doug from BF grilling a burger on a car equipped with his hood vents....

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
that might be the case, but id rather run no vents than spend 200$ on those. i have other mods in mind to lower engine temps. :beer:
Wow, good point. I had no idea they cost that much. I got a heck of a deal for mine somehow. Mine are for heat of the summer and track days more than anything else. I like the way they look, but that is an awefully big hole their for someone/something to fall in to!

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Recently started open tracking the car and looking for better cooling in the AZ desert. I'm thinking about trying these louvers out. Figured I'd place them where sct2003 has his.

Not bad but you may want to "round" the corners a bit???

:beer:

Later...Dave

Phxcobra

Established Member
I know nothing about attaching fiberglass or carbon fiber parts to a car, but i was thinking these would mount or attach from below. So the hood would be cut and the louvers would be attached from the under side of the hood. Maybe using some type of adhesive or glue? so the edges of the louvers would not be visible. Thoughts anyone?

fudgerunyard

Banned
Whats wrong with simply taking the factory vents off and leaving it as is? Granted, my car sleeps in the garage, but that seems like the most practical thing to do in this case.

Phxcobra

Established Member
Not sure who that question is directed at, but adding extra louvers/vents has proven to drop engine temps quite significantly. Especially when open tracking/road racing.

20psirabbit

Established Member
from what racebronco2 and sct2003 have come up with, the problem is that the stock extractos are too far forward. the air pulled through the radiator won't turn at such an extreme angle up to the vents and get pulled out. by adding more venting further back, much more heat is pulled out of the bay.

everythintek

Established Member
inspired by this car: (a local friend)
1808622517_e4c0b1c964.jpg

i did this:
IMG_4937.jpg

at idle the heat extraction is ridiculous i can only imagine what it does while im driving...

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
inspired by this car: (a local friend)

at idle the heat extraction is ridiculous i can only imagine what it does while im driving...

Racebronco2 inspired me...

Clean up the edges, install some kind of mesh screen and you'll be golden!!!

I agree this mod really allows the heat to escape in a big kinda way!!!

Later...Dave

everythintek

Established Member
Racebronco2 inspired me...

Clean up the edges, install some kind of mesh screen and you'll be golden!!!

I agree this mod really allows the heat to escape in a big kinda way!!!

Later...Dave

does it look open? there is 1/4" wire mesh painted black on there. my car sat without a hood all night so i could let it cure all night.

great mod, i recommend it to everyone wanting that heat extraction.

Users who are viewing this thread