Legal question regarding Police Vehicles without lights on during speed traps

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I was searching around looking to see if I could find the answer for my own question, and did not. I'm wondering if it is stated somewhere (per state) if a LEO needs to have some sort of light illuminating at night on their vehicles while parked, waiting for possible speeders. I have heard that LEO's must have their headlights, parking lights, brake lights, interior dome lights, reverse lights, what have you on... In order to be active or ready to pull over speeders. Is this correct or are they able to have zero lights on in the dark and positioned to where the vehicles reflectors do not actually reflect creating a hidden vehicle? If the driver pulled over were to take the court date and appeal, is there grounds that could possibly dismiss the case?

Sorry if it is jumbled or hard to understand. I'm not really sure how to correctly state my question or use the proper LEO terminology if needed. This thread is strictly informative rather than describing actions happened to me or other drivers. Thank you, and if any one thinks they can restate my questions more accurately, please do so in a reply post.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I was searching around looking to see if I could find the answer for my own question, and did not. I'm wondering if it is stated somewhere (per state) if a LEO needs to have some sort of light illuminating at night on their vehicles while parked, waiting for possible speeders. I have heard that LEO's must have their headlights, parking lights, brake lights, interior dome lights, reverse lights, what have you on... In order to be active or ready to pull over speeders. Is this correct or are they able to have zero lights on in the dark and positioned to where the vehicles reflectors do not actually reflect creating a hidden vehicle? If the driver pulled over were to take the court date and appeal, is there grounds that could possibly dismiss the case?

Sorry if it is jumbled or hard to understand. I'm not really sure how to correctly state my question or use the proper LEO terminology if needed. This thread is strictly informative rather than describing actions happened to me or other drivers. Thank you, and if any one thinks they can restate my questions more accurately, please do so in a reply post.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: internet propaganda has you by the short hairs.

cops do not have to have any of their lights on in order to run a speed trap.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
What? Lol.
I frequently park in the outside median with my lights off. The speeders just come right to me so I don't have to work so hard running them down.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: internet propaganda has you by the short hairs.

cops do not have to have any of their lights on in order to run a speed trap.

Short hairs?? :lol1:

Yeah, it's total :bs:

Unless it's the third Tuesday of the month.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
As already stated no. Certain states do however have laws that prohibit or limit the use of speed traps. Your state is not one of them.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SPEED TRAP.

People use the word "trap" as if to imply their was some malice in the police's action. There are enforcement areas were officers know their are lots of violations, but it's not like we are going out there and taking down speed signs or covering them with trees.

And there is nothing I know of, for any state, that requries lights.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

People use the word "trap" as if to imply their was some malice in the police's action. There are enforcement areas were officers know their are lots of violations, but it's not like we are going out there and taking down speed signs or covering them with trees.

LOL I am going to agree with you but that is like calling a mouse trap a "no mouse enforcement zone"

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member

No such thing as a speed trap... really ? There are plenty of statutes that refer to, define, acknowledge, and limit speed traps

California Vehicle Code 40802

A "speed trap" is either of the following:

(a) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

I wont post them all, but feel free to look them up if you would like.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
No such thing as a speed trap... really ? There are plenty of statutes that refer to, define, acknowledge, and limit speed traps

California Vehicle Code 40802

A "speed trap" is either of the following:

(a) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

I wont post them all, but feel free to look them up if you would like.

So basically Time over Distance=Speed? How is that a "trap"? Sounds like
8th grade math to me.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
So basically Time over Distance=Speed? How is that a "trap"? Sounds like
8th grade math to me.

I dont care what it is or isnt.. I provided the definition of what a speed trap is according to California law, when it was said there is no such thing as a speed trap. Look up the statutes yourself if you would like see futher examples. That is only (a)

silver03svt

Established Member
I dont care what it is or isnt.. I provided the definition of what a speed trap is according to California law, when it was said there is no such thing as a speed trap. Look up the statutes yourself if you would like see futher examples. That is only (a)

Personally I dont really care. It's Kalifornia, and we all know how ****ed up that state is to begin with. This is just another printed point to prove that. And I guess since the government enacts the laws, I guess you think the government is always right? Go ask Mr. Webster how he defines the work "trap".

Last edited:

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
Personally I dont really care. It's Kalifornia, and we all know how ****ed up that state is to begin with. This is just another printed point to prove that. And I guess since the government enacts the laws, I guess you think the government is always right? Go ask Mr. Webster how he defines the work "trap".

Could not be further from my personal beliefs, I dont agree with nor support corruption and half truths. Im well aware of the defintion of the word trap and understand why certain stretches of road are legally defined as a "speed trap".

silver03svt

Established Member
So you're saying that on certain streeches of roads, police officers actually FORCE people to speed AND then write them a ticket for it? Or are there sections of road where if you are speeding, a large box with a door that falls down to confine you suddenly surrounds your car and makes you stop until a cop shows up and writes you a ticket?

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
So you're saying that on certain streeches of roads, police officers actually FORCE people to speed AND then write them a ticket for it? Or are there sections of road where if you are speeding, a large box with a door that falls down to confine you suddenly surrounds your car and makes you stop until a cop shows up and writes you a ticket?

I never said or inferred any of the above. Apparently this is way over your head. The word trap means "to catch"... now for the simple minded in laymans terms... a stretch of road where the police officers "catch" speeders.Get it now. I already gave the definition by law in California. Get your head out of your a$$ and use some common sense.

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I guess "speed trap" was a bad way of putting the question out there. Just the whole idea of an officer on the side of the road without lights regardless if you are speeding. Maybe that is a bit better of what i wanted to ask haha. And thanks for the answers guys, always helps to question and obtain answers to learn more.

silver03svt

Established Member
I never said or inferred any of the above. Apparently this is way over your head. The word trap means "to catch"... now for the simple minded in laymans terms... a stretch of road where the police officers "catch" speeders.Get it now. I already gave the definition by law in California. Get your head out of your a$$ and use some common sense.

Well then by the definition you are using, then every public roadway is a speed trap. Think about it for a minute, let your brain digest actual adult thought and words, then go **** yourself. :fart:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread