Legal question regarding Police Vehicles without lights on during speed traps

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I have said this numerous times before there is no such thing as a "Speed Trap."
It is a lack of observation of the speed limit signs and warning signs. In a lot of cases entering the limits of a city.
If anyone is "trapped" its the person not paying attention to his surroundings! Then try to blame it on the officer which is pure BS.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Things that come from California do not count. This is the same state that allows massive clinics to provide "Medical Marijuana" despite it being against Federal Law. And the same state that refers to illeagle aliens as "undocumented workers". As for using the word in California Laws and defining it "Speed Trap", does not suprise me. As posted, California is a goofy goofy state.

Think of it this way as well, in order to "Trap" something don't you have to set something up? Like can I "trap" a rabbit without setting a snare? Or can there be a "Trap" door without being a door?

Again, Using the word "Trap" infers that their is some tangible action on the side of the police. A passive action of sitting on the side of the road does not make it a "Trap".

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think the average citizens things of a trap as one or more LEO's set up at a certain point with radar/laser.

People are "trapped" because the police detain(pull them over) to give them a ticket.

Sounds like people are confusing the word entrapment with a simple trap word.. to mean a place where people are caught for speeding?

LEO's seem a little sensitive about the word trap?

I never thought of the word Trap for speeders as a negative word or disliked LEO's for setting them up?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I think the average citizens things of a trap as one or more LEO's set up at a certain point with radar/laser.

People are "trapped" because the police detain(pull them over) to give them a ticket.

Sounds like people are confusing the word entrapment with a simple trap word.. to mean a place where people are caught for speeding?

LEO's seem a little sensitive about the word trap?

I never thought of the word Trap for speeders as a negative word or disliked LEO's for setting them up?

It's still not a trap. People are able to make conscious decisions to break the law. When they are caught, they did not get trapped. You didn't hear the Miami officer say the State Trooper trapped her after doing 120 mph. You didn't hear OJ's lawyers saying he was trapped after killing Nicole and Ron. You didn't hear Michael Jacksons Dr. say he was trapped after administering a lethal dose of medicine. These people made conscious decisions. It's not a trap. It's people failing to obey the laws set forth by government officials that they elect into office.

Now, a group of officer's sitting on an exit ramp with a LASER device catching speeders could be presumed as a "STING" operation. Kinda like prostitution stings, drugs stings, etc.....

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
if you arent speeding, then its not a trap. then it becomes a checkpoint.

seems only the offenders are bitching.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
It's still not a trap. People are able to make conscious decisions to break the law. When they are caught, they did not get trapped. You didn't hear the Miami officer say the State Trooper trapped her after doing 120 mph. You didn't hear OJ's lawyers saying he was trapped after killing Nicole and Ron. You didn't hear Michael Jacksons Dr. say he was trapped after administering a lethal dose of medicine. These people made conscious decisions. It's not a trap. It's people failing to obey the laws set forth by government officials that they elect into office.

Now, a group of officer's sitting on an exit ramp with a LASER device catching speeders could be presumed as a "STING" operation. Kinda like prostitution stings, drugs stings, etc.....

Would you like me to go through and post every statute from every state that defines what a speed trap is. It doesnt matter if you personally think its a "trap" or not. The law in several states clearly defines what a speed trap is. Your lack of comprehension on this matter is laughable.

Who the hell is talking about Michael Jackson and OJ... we are talking about speed traps,the laws regarding them, and what the law defines them as. Your personal opinion on the matter holds no weight in comparison to the actual laws that have been passed. Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Texas all have laws limiting or prohibiting the use of speed traps as defined by their state.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
if you arent speeding, then its not a trap. then it becomes a checkpoint.

seems only the offenders are bitching.

aren't checkpoints where a LEO/LEO's stop every vehicle on the road at a certain point?

So if you are speeding than it is a trap and not a checkpoint? Ok

silver03svt

Established Member
Would you like me to go through and post every statute from every state that defines what a speed trap is. It doesnt matter if you personally think its a "trap" or not. The law in several states clearly defines what a speed trap is. Your lack of comprehension on this matter is laughable.

Who the hell is talking about Michael Jackson and OJ... we are talking about speed traps,the laws regarding them, and what the law defines them as. Your personal opinion on the matter holds no weight in comparison to the actual laws that have been passed. Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Texas all have laws limiting or prohibiting the use of speed traps as defined by their state.

Again, do you always believe the government is right? Just because somebody gets a lot of people to vote or certain verbage doesn't mean it's correct. In order to "trap" somebody for any type of illegal activity, there has to be a bait there in order to encourage them to break the law. You're missing my whole point in this, I guess bc you're so closed minded, IDK. I could care less what those states have defined as a "speed trap", it's wrong. Those officers writing tickets in those places are not baiting peolpe to speed and them writing them tickets for it. That would be a true "trap". People speeding on their own accord and then getting stopped, no matter where they are, is not trapping them. Are there places around that are more prone to more speeders....absolutely. But no LEO has trapped them.

My point with OJ and MJ is that people in those cases broke the law. Does that mean when they were arrested that they were caught in a "trap"? I guess all the states with these laws defining "speed traps" should also define bad areas in their states as "drug traps" or "murder traps".

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

You are 100% correct about the word trap. I have never heard anyone caught for a crime use the word trap or any of the people you posted say those things...only the speeders say trapped...

The police set up in a certain area and "snag" people speeding...That sound better?

No one is saying the Police "entrapped" them?????

Kind of surprising this has gone on to a second page? I am not helping though!

silver03svt

Established Member
You are 100% correct about the word trap. I have never heard anyone caught for a crime use the word trap or any of the people you posted say those things...only the speeders say trapped...

The police set up in a certain area and "snag" people speeding...That sound better?

No one is saying the Police "entrapped" them?????

Kind of surprising this has gone on to a second page? I am not helping though!

Kinda why I made the post about using the word "sting"......keep up here. :bash:

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
Again, do you always believe the government is right? Just because somebody gets a lot of people to vote or certain verbage doesn't mean it's correct. In order to "trap" somebody for any type of illegal activity, there has to be a bait there in order to encourage them to break the law. You're missing my whole point in this, I guess bc you're so closed minded, IDK. I could care less what those states have defined as a "speed trap", it's wrong. Those officers writing tickets in those places are not baiting peolpe to speed and them writing them tickets for it. That would be a true "trap". People speeding on their own accord and then getting stopped, no matter where they are, is not trapping them. Are there places around that are more prone to more speeders....absolutely. But no LEO has trapped them.

My point with OJ and MJ is that people in those cases broke the law. Does that mean when they were arrested that they were caught in a "trap"? I guess all the states with these laws defining "speed traps" should also define bad areas in their states as "drug traps" or "murder traps".

Strictly for more clarification most speed traps are set up by smaller towns that motorist must pass through to get to a specific destination. The idea is to specifically generate revenue. Most of the newer laws that have been passed limit the amount of revenue that can be generated by these "traps" down to a %. Again they refer to these areas as "traps" because your more likely to get ticketed for minimal mph's over the limit than any other area.

Alot of these areas have roadside speed cams and plate recognition. Its not an officer lying in wait with a stop watch to light you up and write a ticket anymore. Its speed cameras, plate recognition, and tickets that show up in your mailbox.

Idc if these are "true traps" to you or not it has no effect on me whatsoever. Im strictly relaying what the law says when a statement was made that said,"there is no such thing".By the definition of the word trap you do not have to bait something as you say to catch it....only catch it. so again the term makes perfect sense. speed trap: an area where speeders are caught.

And im sorry..but whether you agree with the law or if its correct or not in your book doesnt matter, its the law. Im slowing to the exact mph posted as i pass through any of these areas regardless of whether i agree or not with the methods used or the laws written.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Kinda why I made the post about using the word "sting"......keep up here. :bash:

trust me.. easily keeping up....

I have never heard any civilian refer to police on the side of the road as a "sting" but if that is what most LEO's call it then so be it.

The point of my post was to show you how benign the word speed trap is to most people.

Nobody I know feels the police entrapped them with a speed trap...Police had a certain area staked out and caught speeders.

My opinion if you are going to speed then so be it, but if the police have an area in which they run radar and catch you speeding, then you get what you deserve....whether that is a ticket or a warning...

silver03svt

Established Member
speed trap: an area where speeders are caught.

Then like I said before, aren't all public roads "speed traps"? They all have posted speed limits, and people are caught on them every day speeding.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
speed enforcement = revenue generation

frankly IMO it's a waste of law enforcement resources. The vast majority of persons stopped and cited are average joes, law abiding, tax paying, decent people. The efforts of the forces would be better used finding criminals. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread