Legal question regarding Police Vehicles without lights on during speed traps

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
speed enforcement = revenue generation

frankly IMO it's a waste of law enforcement resources. The vast majority of persons stopped and cited are average joes, law abiding, tax paying, decent people. The efforts of the forces would be better used finding criminals. IMHO

You must not have a lot of unmarked police cars where you are from. And if they were law abiding, I doubt they'd be getting pulled over.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
Then like I said before, aren\'t all public roads \"speed traps\"? They all have posted speed limits, and people are caught on them every day speeding.

By the literal defintion of the words speed and trap Yes, by definition of the laws that define what a speed trap is No.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
:lol: he isnt going to get it....all you can do is facepalm.

I completely get it...I am not arguing the point RUBICON04 is making about illegal speed traps as defined by a State statute.

You and your cohort are obviously upset when anyone posts that they got a ticket in a "speed trap".

You guys aren't even arguing the legality of said "traps". You guys are complaining about the word "trap"?

You want to substitute a euphemism like "sting" and "checkpoint"?

That is what I do not understand..who cares what word is used...

Please google entrapment..I swear you guys are substituting that word for the common word "trap"

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
speed enforcement = revenue generation

frankly IMO it's a waste of law enforcement resources. The vast majority of persons stopped and cited are average joes, law abiding, tax paying, decent people. The efforts of the forces would be better used finding criminals. IMHO

You clearly have no direct experience in L.E. Quite a few felons are caught on traffic stops along with drug traffickers.

Ask txyaloo to show you why traffic enforcement does not generate a positive revenue flow.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I completely get it...I am not arguing the point RUBICON04 is making about illegal speed traps as defined by a State statute.

You and your cohort are obviously upset when anyone posts that they got a ticket in a "speed trap".

You guys aren't even arguing the legality of said "traps". You guys are complaining about the word "trap"?

Please google entrapment..I swear you guys are substituting that word for the common word "trap"

i dont care what you call it. call it a tampon deoderizer. call it elephant jiz. what you arent getting and keeping us amuzed with is....dont speed and you wont have to worry about it. doesnt matter what you call it. doesnt matter if you like or not. a judge isnt going to ask your opinion. they are legal and departments will continue to operate them and there is absolutely nothing you are going to do about it....other than cry and complain on what it should be called.

silver03svt

Established Member

Uh, that would be because the word "entrapment" would be the action usage of "trap". Also, "trap" would infer that the party being caught would have no knowledge of the said "trap" being there, hence why they get caught.
That being said, people know that police officers write speeding tickets. NOT a huge secret there. So when they speed, and get caught (no matter HOW they get caught) they weren't "trapped". Hence why the word "trap" is an incorrect term.

Last edited:

HONEY BADGER

Established Member
There is no such thing as a speed trap. However, there is a stretch of road I know that goes from 20 mph to 50 mph 4 different times in less than a mile stretch. The surroundings on the road doesnt change either. I dont know the reason behind it, but it sure is hard to tell which zone you are in and to make things convenient there is always an officer near by to pull you over and tell you.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
You must not have a lot of unmarked police cars where you are from. And if they were law abiding, I doubt they'd be getting pulled over.

we have some, as well as many marked cars that just lay in wait for speed enforcement. As a tax payer it frustrates me that the time and equipment is used in such a manner. Yes by definition "speeding" is a violation of the law, however, one is not a criminal for speeding, hence the comment "law abiding."

You can certainly disagree with me however this in my OPINION.

You clearly have no direct experience in L.E. Quite a few felons are caught on traffic stops along with drug traffickers.

Ask txyaloo to show you why traffic enforcement does not generate a positive revenue flow.

I do not. However if you re-read my post you'll see I said "vast majority" are you telling me that the percentage of stops that lead to arrests for felony charges is greater then even 10% off all stops?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Uh, that would be because the word "entrapment" would be the action usage of "trap". Also, "trap" would infer that the party being caught would have no knowledge of the said "trap" being there, hence why they get caught.
That being said, people know that police officers write speeding tickets. NOT a huge secret there. So when they speed, and get caught (no matter HOW they get caught) they weren't "trapped". Hence why the word "trap" is an incorrect term.

:lol:but it helps their argument so much LMAO

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

txyaloo does not have the time. he is busy builing my AR-15. this person with the funny make-up and big red nose can search it for himself :beer:

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
There is no such thing as a speed trap. However, there is a stretch of road I know that goes from 20 mph to 50 mph 4 different times in less than a mile stretch. The surroundings on the road doesnt change either. I dont know the reason behind it, but it sure is hard to tell which zone you are in and to make things convenient there is always an officer near by to pull you over and tell you.

Again.... I listed what states define what a speed trap is a few post back. There is infact speed traps as defined by law.

silver03svt

Established Member

Call your local highway department and have them look into posting signs with more warning as to the speed limit changes.

we have some, as well as many marked cars that just lay in wait for speed enforcement. As a tax payer it frustrates me that the time and equipment is used in such a manner. Yes by definition "speeding" is a violation of the law, however, one is not a criminal for speeding, hence the comment "law abiding."

You can certainly disagree with me however this in my OPINION.

I do not. However if you re-read my post you'll see I said "vast majority" are you telling me that the percentage of stops that lead to arrests for felony charges is greater then even 10% off all stops?

Ummmmm....correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming people getting tickets on the roadside are not getting them for the policeman's ball. I would bet they are getting them for BREAKING THE LAW. Hence, contrary to your understanding of English, they are not law abiding. As for the percentage of stops leading to felony arrests, I think that would depend greatly on the area that the officer is patrolling. In some areas, I would bet it could be as high as 20-25% would lead to that. Feel free to poll all US LEO departments under FOIA and find out for us.

:lol:but it helps their argument so much LMAO

They need all the help they can get obviously.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

No I disagree the average citizen uses the word "trap" as a substitute for a shortened entrapment.

So I get your point now...you 2 are saying don't speed at all and we don't have to worry about what word is used...trap, sting, checkpoint.

Ok so I guess you 2 have never ever driven over the speed limit? If you have then you are simply being hypocrites.

I am using the word trap as a noun....you are infering it means a verb..aka trapped....simple as that...

Nice argument that even if police "trapped" people they wouldn't really be doing so because everyone knows the police write tickets so can't trap anyone.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Ummmmm....correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming people getting tickets on the roadside are not getting them for the policeman's ball. I would bet they are getting them for BREAKING THE LAW. Hence, contrary to your understanding of English, they are not law abiding. As for the percentage of stops leading to felony arrests, I think that would depend greatly on the area that the officer is patrolling. In some areas, I would bet it could be as high as 20-25% would lead to that. Feel free to poll all US LEO departments under FOIA and find out for us.

Well I'll agree to disagree with your view.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
i dont care what you call it. call it a tampon deoderizer. call it elephant jiz. what you arent getting and keeping us amuzed with is....dont speed and you wont have to worry about it. doesnt matter what you call it. doesnt matter if you like or not. a judge isnt going to ask your opinion. they are legal and departments will continue to operate them and there is absolutely nothing you are going to do about it....other than cry and complain on what it should be called.

Since I am older than age 15, I will refrain from calling a trap those words.

I have not lobbied for or against speed traps...can you not read?

I am stating I don't believe the word speed trap has any other meaning then a certain area where the police stop speeders and issue tickets.

You attach a strictly negative meaning to the word and take offense to the word feeling it means entrapment...to me it does not...

I am also AMUSED.

Last edited:

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member

For most if not all larger cities this is the case, but studies have shown that alot of smaller towns rely on speed traps and methods alike to generate the majority of their income

An interesting article shows a small town in Missouri with a population of 47 people issued over 3100 traffic fines. By law they could only produce up to 35 % of their general fund revenue by ticketing motorist. They got audited and it was found over half their revenue came from tickets. They actually lost their right to issue speeding tickets and went bankrupt.

Missouri State Auditor Defunds Speed Trap City

Im sure its not common practice but its does happen.

HONEY BADGER

Established Member
Call your local highway department and have them look into posting signs with more warning as to the speed limit change.

I know them. Close ties small town and department. When speeding tickets are a large revenue for the town...they choose to turn the cheek.

silver03svt

Established Member
Nice argument that even if police "trapped" people they wouldn't really be doing so because everyone knows the police write tickets so can't trap anyone.

Well isn't it true? If people knew exactly when and where every police officer was sitting, they wouldn't speed through those locations and those times. So therefore, we all have to come to the conclusion that at any gien time and place a police officer may be running RADAR, LASER, VASCAR, etc.... Armed with that specific knowledge, then a person driving a car can't be trapped for speeding. Or for any other traffic ofense really, as we all know departments have unmarked cars out on patrol, and not all LEO's sit still running speed enforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread