Lightweight Rotor's from Stiegemeier!

black 10th vert

Established Member
This is a fantastic advancement (at least in theory), but I personally would not have posted anything about it until I had some type of concrete test data to support the theory because everyone is going to be bashing Steig now because there are no dyno sheets just like what has happened in many other threads of this type. I fully understand the positive implications for this mod, but there are many on this board who will only believe something when they can see a dyno sheet showing the added 1000hp, or whatever the case may be...

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
This is a fantastic advancement (at least in theory), but I personally would not have posted anything about it until I had some type of concrete test data to support the theory because everyone is going to be bashing Steig now because there are no dyno sheets just like what has happened in many other threads of this type. I fully understand the positive implications for this mod, but there are many on this board who will only believe something when they can see a dyno sheet showing the added 1000hp, or whatever the case may be...

I don't think that is the angle these people that want proof are coming from.

People hear and understand the theory but its just that...a theory. Until there is proof that it's an improvement then it remains a theory.

No one would have ever bought a twin screw until they knew for sure that it was going to outperform the eaton enough to justify the expense. This is a great idea that Steg has come up with. I like others want to see facts that it will make the substantial difference needed to justify the cost.

TRBO VNM

Some pretty good points that were brought up by others, whether in this thread or the other thread...

Cutting material out of the rotors, now the metal is thinner. We already know the heat that the eaton creates. How can this be good for the rotors and taking away material?

Putting freeze plugs in the ends? Again, heat and now it is getting captured inside for the expanding and contracting of the metal. What about pressures built up inside? Not only risk for the freeze plugs, but what about weakening the rotors?

I would have to see probably 100 cars with these that are driven almost daily for 50-100k miles and then the blowers torn apart to check for issues and metal fatigue. Removing rotating mass as we all know is a huge benefit to performance, but it would take a lot of proof for me to invest in this.

If the rotors were inexpensive, have mileage warranty and are easily replaced by the customer, then it does give you something to strongly consider.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Some pretty good points that were brought up by others, whether in this thread or the other thread...

Cutting material out of the rotors, now the metal is thinner. We already know the heat that the eaton creates. How can this be good for the rotors and taking away material?

Putting freeze plugs in the ends? Again, heat and now it is getting captured inside for the expanding and contracting of the metal. What about pressures built up inside? Not only risk for the freeze plugs, but what about weakening the rotors?

I would have to see probably 100 cars with these that are driven almost daily for 50-100k miles and then the blowers torn apart to check for issues and metal fatigue. Removing rotating mass as we all know is a huge benefit to performance, but it would take a lot of proof for me to invest in this.

If the rotors were inexpensive, have mileage warranty and are easily replaced by the customer, then it does give you something to strongly consider.

You bring up some excellent points/questions here. With regard to the heat, I would have to say that these will actually help to dissipate the heat faster do to having less mass to cool - once again it would seem to be an added benefit to lightening them in this way.

The point you brought up about those freeze plugs makes me think of a potential problem that could creep up. If through repeated heat cycling, the plug(s) were to come lose because of the different coefficient of expansion between the aluminum rotors, and the steel freeze plugs, it could lead to catastrophic failure! I could only imagine at the high rpm these things see if one of those steel plugs were to "interfere" between the rotors and the case.:eek: The down side to not plugging the ends, though, is obviously the turbulence, and pressure loss they could induce. I would say that making the plugs out of aluminum, and then heliarcing them in the bores could remove this risk, but would add to the manufacturing process/cost.

dynobobstieg

You bring up some excellent points/questions here. With regard to the heat, I would have to say that these will actually help to dissipate the heat faster do to having less mass to cool - once again it would seem to be an added benefit to lightening them in this way.

The point you brought up about those freeze plugs makes me think of a potential problem that could creep up. If through repeated heat cycling, the plug(s) were to come lose because of the different coefficient of expansion between the aluminum rotors, and the steel freeze plugs, it could lead to catastrophic failure! I could only imagine at the high rpm these things see if one of those steel plugs were to "interfere" between the rotors and the case.:eek: The down side to not plugging the ends, though, is obviously the turbulence, and pressure loss they could induce. I would say that making the plugs out of aluminum, and then heliarcing them in the bores could remove this risk, but would add to the manufacturing process/cost.

We knew it was early to post but we wanted to give everyone a preview of what we are working on. We thought it would be a good idea to see how much interest there was in the rotors before we moved forward. Testing will continue and we will post more results as we have them. Be patient we do have to work around day to day operations but we are working hard. As for the plugs, the final product will feature aluminum plugs rather than the ones you see pictured these are just for the prototype.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Maybe consider screw in freeze plugs over press in?

Just a thought :shrug:

I am really interested to see how this turns out, and to see that you are continueing to try, and develop new ideas for the Eaton! :beer:

Ken

black 10th vert

Established Member
We knew it was early to post but we wanted to give everyone a preview of what we are working on. We thought it would be a good idea to see how much interest there was in the rotors before we moved forward. Testing will continue and we will post more results as we have them. Be patient we do have to work around day to day operations but we are working hard. As for the plugs, the final product will feature aluminum plugs rather than the ones you see pictured these are just for the prototype.

Excellent, thanks for staying with the thread, as in the past debates would come up in these type of new development threads, and they would go unanswered by Bob. It would certainly seem that there is interest in this product if you can show appropriate gains/reliability to justify the added cost of this process.;-)

dynobobstieg

Excellent, thanks for staying with the thread, as in the past debates would come up in these type of new development threads, and they would go unanswered by Bob. It would certainly seem that there is interest in this product if you can show appropriate gains/reliability to justify the added cost of this process.;-)

We like the interest we are seeing and will keep everyone updated. As mentioned on another thread about these rotors we are currently looking for someone who wants to run 23#'s of boost, with the correct mods to further our testing. We are interested in a car that has inch and 7/8 long tubes, off road pipe, and 3 inch exhaust.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
We like the interest we are seeing and will keep everyone updated. As mentioned on another thread about these rotors we are currently looking for someone who wants to run 23#'s of boost, with the correct mods to further our testing. We are interested in a car that has inch and 7/8 long tubes, off road pipe, and 3 inch exhaust.

I can't wait to see some hp numbers :rockon:

Ironhand

Banned
Conspiracy?

Doubtful. I guess maybe it might have been vendor bashing because I wasnt too up beat about it. But I dont believe shit until it is built, tested, and driven into the ground! lol

But I, like many otheres, will quietly wait for results.

greengt88

Established Member
don't feel bad my post was deleted as well. i too brought up the concern of heat building in the rotors and potential for freeze plugs or whatever material plug to pop out and into the csae. i like the idea of it, the only benefit i see is possibly faster blower rpm potential, but wouldnt that require using a lower pulley? It won't move more volume of air, just faster? but that would require spinning to rpm levels the current available bearings may not hold up against. maybe this will help create less heat? time will tell, hopefully we have a winner.

TRBO VNM

4sdvenom mentioned exactly what I was thinking on my way home, screw in style plugs. My concern for the possible pressures inside these bores is still something that really needs to be looked at during testing. I am not sure who you do that. Can you mount wireless sensors inside the rotor bores and be able to log what is experienced?

Just as an example, the engine cooling system. It heats up and cools down. It builds pressure. How are the temps in the bores going to relate to that in the cooling system? What temps are we seeing in each? 190* coolant temps. I don't know what the rotor temps are.

There is a lot of testing to figure out and start getting done.

actually I do have a setup close to what they are looking for to test with.

Users who are viewing this thread