Lightweight Rotor's from Stiegemeier!

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
What kind of affect does boring out the center of the rotors have on their balance at high speed? How will you guys maintain the correct balance?

black 10th vert

Established Member
What kind of affect does boring out the center of the rotors have on their balance at high speed? How will you guys maintain the correct balance?

Balance should not be a big factor for a couple of reasons:

1) I am assuming they will be CNC machined, so that will keep the tolerances very tight with regard to location of the bores, as well as the diameter of the bores themselves.

2) the overall spinning radius of each screw is not that large where the centrifugal effects would have a huge impact, but I would still keep the machining consistent, as well as having the "plugs" be weight matched (or as close as possible.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would have alot to say to this thread but my past 2 posts were deleted.

Watch what you say a little more carefully in a vendor thread and they will miraculously stay put.

I will not tolerate people crapping up a vendor thread with unjustified negative comments and on going disaster speculation before anything has even had a chance to be tried.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Watch what you say a little more carefully in a vendor thread and they will miraculously stay put.

I will not tolerate people crapping up a vendor thread with unjustified negative comments and on going disaster speculation before anything has even had a chance to be tried.

Any comments regarding this post I will PM you.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
4sdvenom mentioned exactly what I was thinking on my way home, screw in style plugs. My concern for the possible pressures inside these bores is still something that really needs to be looked at during testing. I am not sure who you do that. Can you mount wireless sensors inside the rotor bores and be able to log what is experienced?

Just as an example, the engine cooling system. It heats up and cools down. It builds pressure. How are the temps in the bores going to relate to that in the cooling system? What temps are we seeing in each? 190* coolant temps. I don't know what the rotor temps are.

There is a lot of testing to figure out and start getting done.

actually I do have a setup close to what they are looking for to test with.

I was thinking the same. Just wondering if some type of inert gas could be used to address that issue.

95PGTTech

Established Member

While I agree that some people go too far, I think I can sum up just about everyone's thoughts on YET ANOTHER Steg thread with theories and zero results with:

"We will not tolerate vendors crapping up this forum with unjustified self-aggrandization and going on 'this mod is the new sliced bread' before anything has even had a chance to be tried."

Don't get me wrong - I'm really glad that there are vendors out there still making/selling parts for our cars (let's be realistic, 03/04 is getting pretty old out there now and the market is not what it once was, or even close). I'm even more glad vendors are going in different new directions instead of re-runs of previously made parts.

But to make statements like:

These lightweight OEM rotors have the rotating mass reduced by 50% to increase acceleration and allow for extreme rotor speeds and unheard of reliable boost levels.

Call for further details and availability coming soon. Installation of a new boring center is underway to help reduce cost. Pricing to be set shortly after completion of this new boring center.

Is extremely premature.

Reduced rotating mass by 50%. OK, no problems here, that can be quantified. But when people asked you to give exact numbers, weight of stock ones versus these ones, where is the back up?

Increased acceleration? You don't even have them in a blower yet!!! How can you claim this? Extreme rotor speeds? Reliable high boost levels? Come on...

Now we start into selling these things, pricing, etc.? There are a bunch of decisions needed to be made before even getting these things in a damn blower case, let alone on a car, dyno'd, proven gains to justify the cost, and some mileage to back up your reliability claims. A lot of people on this forum are going to expect it done on a lot more than one car before they bolt on a part that can potentially lunch their motor.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love some of Steg's stuff. I had a Stage 4 back on my 04 back in the day and I loved it, it was the hot shit before twin screws really made their footprint. I just think a better approach to some of these threads is called for. Show the pics, list what you have for goals for the mod, and that's it. When someone inevitably asks so when can we buy them a response like "We still have a TON of testing to do before these will be on the market." would go a long, long way.

Ironhand

Banned
I was thinking the same. Just wondering if some type of inert gas could be used to address that issue.

Argon would be your answer.

You could also put a very very small hole in the freeze plug in the front of the case to vent any excess pressure.

Also, no stealing ideas either! :lol1:

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Going to be tough considering it's not necessary with a ported eaton setup isn't it? :shrug:

ARH told me to swap to a 1 7/8" long tube around 650whp with a blower. Not sure if any ported Eatons are making that kind of steam, but maybe there's a Stage 44 out there we don't know about. :beer:

da2k17

Established Member
ARH told me to swap to a 1 7/8" long tube around 650whp with a blower. Not sure if any ported Eatons are making that kind of steam, but maybe there's a Stage 44 out there we don't know about. :beer:

my posi ported eaton made 620 with laughing gas on 93. i have all the mods but i dont like the idea of using what i have dropped a ton of money in as a test subject.

if the eaton is capable of more power id be all over it. with comp sc/ n20 cams, je sc/n20 pistons, manley forged rods, stock crank and posi ported eaton i was able to get 543hp at 23 * timing, no spray. the eaton has a 2.81 and 4lb lower, do you think these rotors would be able to make more boost efficiently? what are the power levels your trying to achieve with this?

i really dont think the eaton has the ability to move enough air to support over 600hp but id like to see it happen....

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Argon would be your answer.

You could also put a very very small hole in the freeze plug in the front of the case to vent any excess pressure.

Venting one of the freeze plugs with a small vent hole is exactly what I was thinking after reading Jason's last reply. Since only one end needs to be completely sealed to eliminate pressure bleed through the bore.

Going to be tough considering it's not necessary with a ported eaton setup isn't it? :shrug:
Sometimes things change.....I applaud a company who furthers their R&D to continue to try and make improvements to this industry and our hobby in search of pushing the envelope further in the hunt for more power. :shrug:

SVT GT

Established Member
Reduced rotating mass by 50%. OK, no problems here, that can be quantified. But when people asked you to give exact numbers, weight of stock ones versus these ones, where is the back up?

Increased acceleration? You don't even have them in a blower yet!!! How can you claim this? Extreme rotor speeds? Reliable high boost levels? Come on...

How do you know they didn't install them in a Cobra yet? Have you called them? Like they asked if you wanted to know more. I called them and they did install them in a Cobra and they drove it for two weeks. Now it seems they want to do more testing on another vehicle with certain mods already done to it.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
How do you know they didn't install them in a Cobra yet? Have you called them? Like they asked if you wanted to know more. I called them and they did install them in a Cobra and they drove it for two weeks. Now it seems they want to do more testing on another vehicle with certain mods already done to it.

Thank you :beer:

95PGTTech

Established Member

because if they made two threads for a set of rotors they drilled into (one not even finished) and neither in a blower case, you'd bet your bottom dollar they'll make four threads when they get a blower completed and sixteen threads when the get one on a car and running. then we'll all be saying...great...why make a thread pre-dyno, where are the numbers? and we'd wait weeks more...

my posi ported eaton made 620 with laughing gas on 93. i have all the mods but i dont like the idea of using what i have dropped a ton of money in as a test subject.

if the eaton is capable of more power id be all over it. with comp sc/ n20 cams, je sc/n20 pistons, manley forged rods, stock crank and posi ported eaton i was able to get 543hp at 23 * timing, no spray. the eaton has a 2.81 and 4lb lower, do you think these rotors would be able to make more boost efficiently? what are the power levels your trying to achieve with this?

i really dont think the eaton has the ability to move enough air to support over 600hp but id like to see it happen....

I was being totally sarcastic. No normal-human-setup Eaton is making 600whp on boost alone. Sure, a bored and stroked 13:1 Raptor motor with stupid cams, jesus blessing the cylinder heads at the alter, a custom lower, a bells and whistles eaton with 1 7/8 x 4 longtubes and supporting mods, E85, and nitrous, maybe. (or insert other rediculous example here). but talking real world, ported eaton, bolt ons, no other power adders, pump gas, a normal person ported eaton, is making somewhere in the ballpark of 500whp.

EDIT: the 650 quote was for what ARH told me I needed 1 3/4 x 3 long tubes, not 1 7/8, sorry.

TRBO VNM

I was being totally sarcastic. No normal-human-setup Eaton is making 600whp on boost alone. Sure, a bored and stroked 13:1 Raptor motor with stupid cams, jesus blessing the cylinder heads at the alter, a custom lower, a bells and whistles eaton with 1 7/8 x 4 longtubes and supporting mods, E85, and nitrous, maybe. (or insert other rediculous example here). but talking real world, ported eaton, bolt ons, no other power adders, pump gas, a normal person ported eaton, is making somewhere in the ballpark of 500whp.

EDIT: the 650 quote was for what ARH told me I needed 1 3/4 x 3 long tubes, not 1 7/8, sorry.

Well, I am not stock, but it is just a posi ported eaton with a built motor. I have some kinks to work out, but don't always doubt something. It isn't typical, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I would say mine is a "normal-human-setup"..whatever that actually means. LOL Humans did build my setup.

da2k17

Established Member

i wasnt calling you out or anything, more or less just posting some info for everyone.

id like to see the eaton able to support over 600 but i have just about every possible mod you can throw at the car power wise and it hardly cracked 500. if the lightweight rotors are merely going to gain 10 to 20 horsepower i cant see it being worth it, just use a smaller pulley and spin it faster.

instead of modifying the rotors would it be at all possible to make a set of twin screw type rotors to fit into the eatons case? this would significantly increase efficiency and lower temps, but is it possible? or cost effective? how bout modifying a set from a whipple or KB or TVS?

cobracide

Established Member
Right - what we need are the TVS rotors with four lobes and the larger 160* twist. Then again, just go buy a TVS and slap one on. Ultimate Eaton sleeper though.

Last edited:

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
i wasnt calling you out or anything, more or less just posting some info for everyone.

Id like to see the eaton able to support over 600 but i have just about every possible mod you can throw at the car power wise and it hardly cracked 500. If the lightweight rotors are merely going to gain 10 to 20 horsepower i cant see it being worth it, just use a smaller pulley and spin it faster.

instead of modifying the rotors would it be at all possible to make a set of twin screw type rotors to fit into the eatons case? This would significantly increase efficiency and lower temps, but is it possible? Or cost effective? How bout modifying a set from a whipple or kb or tvs
?

this!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
instead of modifying the rotors would it be at all possible to make a set of twin screw type rotors to fit into the eatons case? this would significantly increase efficiency and lower temps, but is it possible? or cost effective? how bout modifying a set from a whipple or KB or TVS?

Unfortunately I see there being no possible way to do that cost effectively. And if they did, everyone would then be bashing and bitching that for this much more you could have a normal sized twin screw. Because think about it....an M112 Eaton with twin screws will still be a smaller displacement blower than a 2.2 liter KB. Besides, do you really think Whipple, KB or anyone is gonna sell their rotors to another company to modify and put in another blower to narrow the competition gap between them????? RIGHT!!!!! lol Which leaves designing and machining their own and then we're back to not being cost effective...

Lighter Eaton rotors will also equeal less parasitic drag meaning less HP from the motor to turn them, quicker acceleration and throttle response, higher rotor speeds because its a given.....something lighter can and will be able to be spun faster within a fixed confined space, explaining why they want a 23psi cobra with the supporting exhaust (airflow in and airflow out) to continue testing with. Plus there is no possible way that the would not produce less heat, and have less thermal expansion (which hinders the current high boost eatons) by having excess metal removed from them.....less material to heat up and hold in heat = lower temps.

Just my .02

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
I would be extremely interested in that type of technology - as much of a street racer effect as the SnakeBite is, twin screw rotors in a Eaton that could support high 600s rwhp numbers would be very marketable.

From a CNC/design perspective, I can see how this easily would eclipse the $2500+ mark quickly though. Such rotors would likely to need to be made one-off, and sell less than 1000 units (if lucky)

Users who are viewing this thread