looking for opinions about a new and bigger supercharger or turbo

what setup would you run and why

• Total voters

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member

thanks

i found that forum, i was actually a member there about 7 years ago when i first wanted a turbo but couldnt afford one :(

sadly enough though i still think that will all the modifications and extra parts im gonna need its going to cost about 10 grand.

so ive also debated doing a stroker motor with cams and a 2.9L whipple. that will cost about 7.5k

damn!!!!! this is such a hard decision. if i were rich (dont well all wish) then it would be a no brainer, stroker motor with twin turbos :beer:

prostkr

Established Member
The turbo or stroker motor will set you back 10 grand atleast done right. Depending on how much work you can do yourself. The stroker and cams/whipple will not get you over what a good turbo kit on a stock engine will. The question is instant boost? or all out top end with a sacrifice in low end?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
The turbo or stroker motor will set you back 10 grand atleast done right. Depending on how much work you can do yourself. The stroker and cams/whipple will not get you over what a good turbo kit on a stock engine will. The question is instant boost? or all out top end with a sacrifice in low end?

well looking at the hellion kit i believe i can do it myself or for the most part. if not i have at least 2 friends that can help. ill just throw them a few bones and some beer.

its just a hard delima because im close to being able to get the turbo's. but there are so many other things i wanna upgrade also...

i dont wanna waste money like i did before and get the 2.3L and not be happy with 621 rwhp. i want to get something that i can grow into and make faster. not have a maxed out combination and then have to start all over.

i think im just gonna have to suck it up and go turbo. anyone wanna by a kidney?

jojomofo21

Twin Screw Yourself
Established Member
I think the 2.9 Whipple will best fit your budget and help you hit that 700+ mark. Kenne Bell LC 2.8s are not cheap. Turbo kit will break your budget by a few thousand once you get all the good upgrades. Tousley can get you an awesome deal on the 2.9 and you will have money left over. Im thinking about jumping up from my 2.3 right now!

Ironhand

Banned
The 3.4L Whipple is NOT out! I can get it to fit under the stock hood! On top of a 5.4 Non-the-less. Its called a Custom K-member.

I can do the custom K member AND a 3.4L Whipple with Crusher Inlet for under 6k.

PM me about the K member made to my specifications.

mach1033

Established Member
Turbos would be the best to go as far as growing but 6k will not cut it. Also when you say grow past 700/750 do you mean up to the 4 digit zone? Do you realize how fast your car will be at 750 rwhp :poke: :burnout: I have the 2.9 and once my motor is built I will be running the stock pulley and I should be at 700 on pump 93. Prior to this I was a lil over 23lbs of boost and this blower just kept pulling and pulling with zero boost drop. My vote is the 2.9 for ease of installation and no modding. The 3.4 is a real monster but u do have to do some mods in order for it to work. The 2.8 KB is another option and I know first hand that there no joke as well from racing my buddies Saleen that has one. His is only a 2 vavle and it will shock many a Cobra owner.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Well I recently went a 10.91 @ 129 mph with my 2.3L.

Im going single turbo I believe now. I want 700-750 on 18 psi street tune. I'd like to see 800-850 on 22 psi of boost.

I've had a fox body with a 347 and a v27 YSI cog setup make 1060 to the tires. 31 psi

It's not a daily driven car either. I just have always wanted a turbo.

I can do the install for most everything. I've got a couple of friends that can help me also.

I've upped my budge to 7500 installed. I think it can be done. :)

mach1033

Established Member
Well I recently went a 10.91 @ 129 mph with my 2.3L.

Im going single turbo I believe now. I want 700-750 on 18 psi street tune. I'd like to see 800-850 on 22 psi of boost.

I've had a fox body with a 347 and a v27 YSI cog setup make 1060 to the tires. 31 psi

It's not a daily driven car either. I just have always wanted a turbo.

I can do the install for most everything. I've got a couple of friends that can help me also.

I've upped my budge to 7500 installed. I think it can be done. :)

Oh ok cool then. So then you do know what kind of power that is ;-) I think with 7500 and doing the labor your self then yes I would do the turbo set up. Street mode and then KILL mode. I'm really considering going twins next year for that reason. But let me see how my new set up feels. Twins will run me over 10k with all I need so I have to convince my wife yet again why I need to change my power adder for the third time :-D I really do have an illness for modding!!!!!

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
I've had a 2.3 whipple and now I'm on a 3.4 whipple. There cool and all but I'm about done with blowing hot air into my motor.... The 2.9 is a great blower don't get me wrong man but your stretching it at 750. Before people jump all over me about that comment let me say this. You can reach those goals easily with a single 76mm or twin 57's. And have way more in it if you want it. To make 700hp on a 2.9 daily driven your gonna have to have corn in the tank or meth injection. 93 pump gas, 2.9 whipple and 750 hp is not gonna happen man.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I've had a 2.3 whipple and now I'm on a 3.4 whipple. There cool and all but I'm about done with blowing hot air into my motor.... The 2.9 is a great blower don't get me wrong man but your stretching it at 750. Before people jump all over me about that comment let me say this. You can reach those goals easily with a single 76mm or twin 57's. And have way more in it if you want it. To make 700hp on a 2.9 daily driven your gonna have to have corn in the tank or meth injection. 93 pump gas, 2.9 whipple and 750 hp is not gonna happen man.

I agree with you. I just feel I'll be maxing out the combination with a 2.9L. I'm going single 76mm turbo from hellion. Doing the ball bearing upgrade and the billet wheel.

Ironhand

Banned
Yes. 26 spline upgrade with spec stage 3+ clutch and billet steel flywheel

Yes stock long block, stock heads, stock cams

These motors are good for 850-1000 (or so I've been told from several people and places)

Get a D&D shaft when you upgrade. The Liberty unit is made out of two pieces then welding together and machined.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
just like it says in your sig, ifs its fast and reliable, it isnt cheap.

Yes I agree that's why it's in my sig. I'm doing this right. I've ordered the billet wheel and the ball bearing upgrade also. Only upgrade I didn't get was the precision turbo (makes more power)

That rules out going turbo, which makes your choice pretty easy...2.9L Whipple or 2.8LC KB.

I rebudgeted for $7500 possibly $8,000.

post 28......

This ....

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread