looking for opinions about a new and bigger supercharger or turbo

what setup would you run and why

• Total voters

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Yes. 26 spline upgrade with spec stage 3+ clutch and billet steel flywheel

Yes stock long block, stock heads, stock cams

These motors are good for 850-1000 (or so I've been told from several people and places)

I believe they are very strong motors but you better count your blessings in my opinion. I assume you would have a street tune and a kill tune?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I believe they are very strong motors but you better count your blessings in my opinion. I assume you would have a street tune and a kill tune?

Well in my opinion a turbo is less stress on the engine assembly. Especially the crank. Just my opinion but I'm sure others will chime in. I've seen stock motors make 1000+ rwhp at the tires. So 750-800 I feel will be safe.

Anything can happen. I've also seen 500 rwhp cars take a crap.

I will have a street tune and a race tune.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Well in my opinion a turbo is less stress on the engine assembly. Especially the crank. Just my opinion but I'm sure others will chime in. I've seen stock motors make 1000+ rwhp at the tires. So 750-800 I feel will be safe.

Anything can happen. I've also seen 500 rwhp cars take a crap.

I will have a street tune and a race tune.

Now that you put it that way I can see why you say that. I'm not saying it won't hold up, just curious.. figured you'd be up for discussing your ideas on it.
Definitely true haha about the 500rwhp cars taking a dump.
Sounds like a blast either way Brian, good luck keep us updated!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Yes I agree that's why it's in my sig. I'm doing this right. I've ordered the billet wheel and the ball bearing upgrade also. Only upgrade I didn't get was the precision turbo (makes more power)

I rebudgeted for $7500 possibly $8,000.

This ....

Thanks

$8K might do it. Best of luck to you on the project! :beer:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
$8K might do it. Best of luck to you on the project! :beer:

ill keep thread updated. I took some pics tonight. I've ran into 1 curve ball already. The jack ass that installed the lower pulley over tightened 2 bolts that go into the timing cover :( They are small Allen head bolts. So I guess I'll be pulling the radiator and fan tonight so I can drill the head of these 2 bolts out.

Fun fun....

I'll be doing the install myself. So here is the current out look

Blower sold $2750

Front drive and cooling stuff sold $1200

Other misc stuff sold $200

I'm positive $4150

Turbo kit with upgrades and 01 cobra intake upper and lower brackets ($6350) negative

So far I'm out of pocket $2200

I bet when I'm done I'll have 4k at the most out of pocket. Maybe less if I'm really lucky.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
So radiator is out and 5 minutes later both bolt heads drilled out and bolts removed
a618fd35.jpg

3f4456cc.jpg

Here is what she look like now. What a mess

52356630.jpg

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Good choice man! I'll be doing the same thing as you in a couple weeks so I'll be checking in to see what all you run into. I wish I would have did like you and went from 2.3 to turbo instead of 2.3 to 3.4 then turbo..... What a dummy! There's no getting rid of the turbo bug I guess. You will throw rocks at a whipple after you ride in your car turboed now! Haha

Get video of your smile when it hits boost for the first time, my face hurt for days after I turboed my last cobra! Hahahha

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I may also yank the timing cover and have cams installed. But I don't think I will have enough money left over :(

I wanna powder coat the timing cover and upper intake.

Parts were ordered today. 76mm hellion single turbo kit with upgraded billet wheel and ball bearings in turbo.

Also got a Mach 1 lower intake with 01 cobra upper intake.

whitedevil0321

Established Member
and why is that? how is their design stupid?
read below
Perhaps it's only stupid for the person trying to install a quality kit but doesn't have a clue where to start.

ok first off your an idiot for your last comment because ive down multiple turbo kits and never liked the designs where the turbo is in the bumper the single turbo kit for the cobra is a good one because the turbo is up by the motor.. the kits they make ie twin turbo , gt500 kits, and the new 5.0 kit where the turbos are in the bumper are a bad design .. first off any front end damage 99% of the time is gonna be really bad but thats not why.. here is my reason and it is they use scavenge pumps to run the oil from the turbo to the top of the valve covers so imagine a stock oil pan that holds enough oil to feed the motor then addidng a turbo to it that where the oil line goes from down in the bumper of the turbo the whole way up to the valve cover what do you think all that distance the oil has to travel is doing to your motor. yes STARVING it of oil.. which in the end results in catasrophic failure im just sayin 9 out of 10 people that run turbo kits on this website or anywhere else have built motors or run a turbo kit that is mounted up by the engine for better oil flow .. thats my $.02

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
No where in my post did I say I was getting a twin setup. For someone that knows how to properly install a twin setup then yes the oil scavenging issue would not be a worry as you would get a 7+ qt oil pan and run a scavenging pump.

I'm not an expert here by any means of turbos. But I learned all this from a little research.

So again back on subject hellion does not equal junk. It just means some kits require further car modifications.

But we appreciate the knowledge you posted about the twin turbo's.

You should also contact John Urist and let him know his companies twin turbo kits are junk.

read below

ok first off your an idiot for your last comment because ive down multiple turbo kits and never liked the designs where the turbo is in the bumper the single turbo kit for the cobra is a good one because the turbo is up by the motor.. the kits they make ie twin turbo , gt500 kits, and the new 5.0 kit where the turbos are in the bumper are a bad design .. first off any front end damage 99% of the time is gonna be really bad but thats not why.. here is my reason and it is they use scavenge pumps to run the oil from the turbo to the top of the valve covers so imagine a stock oil pan that holds enough oil to feed the motor then addidng a turbo to it that where the oil line goes from down in the bumper of the turbo the whole way up to the valve cover what do you think all that distance the oil has to travel is doing to your motor. yes STARVING it of oil.. which in the end results in catasrophic failure im just sayin 9 out of 10 people that run turbo kits on this website or anywhere else have built motors or run a turbo kit that is mounted up by the engine for better oil flow .. thats my $.02

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
For your hp goals I'd do the 2.9 with e85. If looking for 800+ then I'd consider a turbo. Just my thoughts.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
For your hp goals I'd do the 2.9 with e85. If looking for 800+ then I'd consider a turbo. Just my thoughts.

Well I'm shooting for 750 street tune. 900+ race tune.

We do no have e85 around here. Well we have 1 gas station in a 50-75 mile radius from me. So it's basically not available.

I'm also going to build a motor is seems :)

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
This has gone from a small upgrade to an all out deal it seems like. So what are your real plans or do you not even know yet?

Users who are viewing this thread