NEW: Whipple Crusher 2.3L & 2.9L 03-04 Cobra Setups

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Hey Jarred I live 40 miles from your warehouse if you need a whipple car for testing I'm your man:thumbsup:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Too bad it's about 5 years late. I wish Whipple would have this upgrade several years ago when the 2.3L first came out.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I'm in for data also. My 2.3 e85 setup is just about complete. I'll be running in the 24 psi range so if there is improvement to be had, I'm all for it.

cbr repsol

Established Member
yeah ive heard at low boost a huge inlet wouldnt do much for a 2.3. Im going to go 20-21 #'s this jan . So this looks like something that would help...I would really like to do my own comparison.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Im going to test it @ 24psi....working on getting a kit....The wife is gonna kill me...atleast ill die a happy man.:banana:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
I'm love to get this but I bet it's a bitch to work on with it but heck if the gains are good enough maybe

Ironhand

Banned
It will be interesting to see what it picks up on the 2.9. As we have already seen some good data on the 2.3 that it doesn't pick up anything.

Whipple 2.3L Behemoth Inlet Results

+1

Posi did his own tests as well and didnt pick up anything.

But we all know the 3.4 picks up alot of power with the bigger inlet. Im curious to see how much the 2.9 picks up being .6 liters bigger then the 2.3.

This inlet was really only made for the 2.9. It just so happens that the 2.3 & 2.9 have the same inlet size on the back of the compressor, so its being sold for both.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It will be interesting to see what it picks up on the 2.9. As we have already seen some good data on the 2.3 that it doesn't pick up anything.

Whipple 2.3L Behemoth Inlet Results

+1

Posi did his own tests as well and didnt pick up anything.

But we all know the 3.4 picks up alot of power with the bigger inlet. Im curious to see how much the 2.9 picks up being .6 liters bigger then the 2.3.

This inlet was really only made for the 2.9. It just so happens that the 2.3 & 2.9 have the same inlet size on the back of the compressor, so its being sold for both.

I'm not going to make any claims as to what the crusher will make over a non crusher setup on either the 2.3L or the 2.9L as I personally haven't tested either. However I don't think it's fair to compare the testing that PWORLDSTANG did with his car to the new setup being offered by Whipple.

At least from what I read there's several things that the Crusher addresses that the Behemoth setup didn't. Most important are the throttle body and cold air/MAF setup. Those two things can make a big difference with power as you could have the biggest plenum in the world but if the throttle body and intake are still restrictive you won't fully benefit from it. I've personally seen what a throttle body alone is worth on several different model vehicles. Cars I own and tested for 5.0 Magazine articles not just cars I've heard about or read of.

Not specific to the 03-04 Cobra but just to give you an idea of how meaningful the throttle body and cold air have been on other cars of mine here's the data.

3.4L Whipple powered GT500 3.50" Pulley
Stock throttle body w/JLT 110mm Intake the car made 670rwhp.
Whipple 160mm throttle body w/JLT 110mm Intake 725rwhp

2.3L Whipple Powered 2011 5.0L 3.375" pulley
Stock enclosed airbox w/stock GT500 throttle body. Just by upgrading the intake to the Whipple 123mm one we saw a 25rwhp increase. Then by adding an L&M 66mm throttle body on top of that we saw a 37rwhp increase. That's 62rwhp from an intake and throttle body. Boost before the intake/throttle body upgrade was 8-9psi. Boost after the upgrades was 10psi.

Here's the article with dyno graphs for anyone that's interested.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1103_lethal_performance_whipple_blower_test_two/index.html

With that you can see how important the throttle body and intake can be on a blown setup like this.

Here's a few things I also noticed about the Behemoth compared to the Crusher.

The Behemoth used for testing had a JLT High Boost Setup with a 90mm MAF. There's nothing wrong with that as it's a great setup and supports a lot of HP. However the Crusher setup uses a much larger 123mm MAF and intake tube setup.

The Behemoth setup in that test also used a Billetflow throttle body which is just shy of 100mm. The Crusher setup uses a 160mm throttle body which is identical in size to the one Whipple offers for the GT500's and 03-04 Cobra 3.4L Crusher setup. There's a substantial size difference as you can see in the pic below.

Accufab 100mm vs. Whipple 160mm
IMG_0195.jpg

I only think it's fair that we shouldn't make any assumptions about what gains you'll see with the Crusher on either the 2.3L or 2.9L until actual testing has been done. Doing so at this point would be a blind guess just like trying to compare it to the Behemoth setup mentioned above.

I've got local friend with a 2.3L on his 03. I'll see if Dustin will send us a Crusher to do some testing with it. The car I believe runs 20psi now so it will be a good candidate.

As always your thoughts and opinions are welcome so fire away.

Jared

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I've got local friend with a 2.3L on his 03. I'll see if Dustin will send us a Crusher to do some testing with it. The car I believe runs 20psi now so it will be a good candidate.
In for dyno results.

popcorn_gif.gif

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just spoke to Dustin and he's down to supply the parts for testing. I'll get DivisionX to supply a budget return system for the car as I believe it's only got some Aviator or Focus pumps in it. This way we'll set it up with some proper fuel.

I'll let you know once I speak to Brian as I'm totally putting this together without having spoken to him about using his car yet. LOL

Jared

Ironhand

Banned
I just spoke to Dustin and he's down to supply the parts for testing. I'll get DivisionX to supply a budget return system for the car as I believe it's only got some Aviator or Focus pumps in it. This way we'll set it up with some proper fuel.

I'll let you know once I speak to Brian as I'm totally putting this together without having spoken to him about using his car yet. LOL

Jared

Hell, I wouldnt mind that!

Users who are viewing this thread