No lights on sheriff in ohio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Ok guys is it a law for the cops to have running lights or something on when shooting radar? Going home last night my radar detector went off and cop was hiding behind abandoned gas station and running radar. Had no lights on inside or outside car. Just saw a reflection from neon lights of oreillys in his sheriff written on car. So i have heard it is legal for them to do this and some that it isnt? And also do the have to be seen or can he be hidden? Any ohio police guys out there? :shrug:

03Cobranator

Established Member
I often wonder the same thing. Im from Pennsylvania and my friend is in the academy or whatever and is getting ready to graduate.. anyways he says that its illegal for them to do that in PA.. yet im friends with two local officers and they both say that its not.. yet i know they wernt 100% sure about there answer.. id deff like to know more about this.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
The closest statute I was able to find is:

Lawriter - ORC - 4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol.

Effective Date: 10-25-1979

Last edited:

Team Paulie

Established Member
I know that in Toledo/Lucas county they are suppose to have them one I THINK,every time I see one,they have em one,all the state boy/girls I see on the side of 75 have them on.

hb712

Established Member
As far as I know, there is no statutory requirement for police to have any lights on when they are clocking. I believe there are some departments that require something similar, but that's it.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
When I would go on ride - a - longs in Fulton Co, I went with a local PD once. Guy I rode with sat and clocked all night with his lights off. Multiple times. Not that this means anything concrete, but it seems to be common practice.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
VA has no such law. Can sit in total darkness and work any kind of speed enforcement.

wesessiah

Established Member
should we also have to post times we will be patrolling neighborhoods to be fair to burglars? or is it just traffic violations that we should have to announce our presence for so people know exactly when they can't break the law?

slapshot

Established Member
The closest statute I was able to find is:

Lawriter - ORC - 4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol.

Effective Date: 10-25-1979

My reading of that law says the car simply must have some type of emergency light on the outside and top of the vehicle. Says nothing about use of lights.

It's totally legal here in FL. I want to see the driver's regular driving habits, not the 5 mph under the speed limit I see a cruiser crawl, just to speed up again down the road. That's why we have unmarked traffic cars, to see peoples normally, and often bad, driving habits.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
My reading of that law says the car simply must have some type of emergency light on the outside and top of the vehicle. Says nothing about use of lights.

That was the point I was attempting to make, via the bolded text.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
No entrapment they are government they what they want just bull

Not an iPhone.....

It's not bull. If you're speeding you are going to get pulled over whether they have their lights on or off.

Too many of you people think it's a game and that the other side has to play by some unwritten rules.

Taylor_SVT

Is that a Phantom nicka?
Established Member
my two buddies got pulled over in town here in Iowa, one got clocked doing 85 in a 35 because he just took off on the other buddy and showing off, the other also go pulled over because he was doing 45 in the 35 but he wasn't clocked, the sheriff said he guessed he was going 65. The vehicle that was going 85 im sure he will not get out of anything but i would think it would be smart for the other guy to fight it because he was not radar.. the cop pulled out of a parking lot after the first car without any lights on, the vehicle going 45 had to lock his brakes up and swerve to avoid the cop so he got a speeding and careless driving ticket..

Dragu1a

Established Member
My older brother is an Ohio State Trooper, he said they don't have to have any lights on.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
They do have to wear hats when issuing tickets though, otherwise the ticket gets thrown out.

Edit to make it obvious... THIS IS SARCASM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread