No lights on sheriff in ohio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbj5259

Established Member
I don't post on here much, but reading through the comments I had to state a few things...

As previously mentioned there may be a multitude of reason why a police officer may be speeding with no lights on. In PA we pace cars with our speedos or vascar units and that requires that we keep pace with the target vehicle. So if the target is travelling at 85, then so am I. Also if you are en route to a potentially dangerous call, you do not want to announce your approach to the bad guys with audible and visual signals that scream "here I am please shoot at me". As far as running lights go for traffic enforcement, it is not a requirement in PA. It seems to be one of those urban police legends like getting a ticket a for driving barefoot (not a law...at least not in PA). On a final note, its sad to see that some agencies are stuck in the 19th century when it comes to wearing hats. My agency also requires it, but I tell all my guys that their first priority is keeping their eyes on the car they just stopped and not looking around the front seat for their damn hat. Several officers have been killed in ambushes while looking for their hats and not watching the people in the car. For this reason I encourage all officers to make their initial approach without their hats. After they have determined that all appears OK with the driver/occupants, then wear it on your followup visit to the car.

Last edited:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I don't post on here much, but reading through the comments I had to state a few things...

As previously mentioned there may be a multitude of reason why a police officer may be speeding with no lights on. In PA we pace cars with our speedos or vascar units and that requires that we keep pace with the target vehicle. So if the target is travelling at 85, then so am I. Also if you are en route to a potentially dangerous call, you do not want to announce your approach to the bad guys with audible and visual signals that scream "here I am please shoot at me". As far as running lights go for traffic enforcement, it is not a requirement in PA. It seems to be one of those urban police legends like getting a ticket a for driving barefoot (not a law...at least not in PA). On a final note, its sad to see that some agencies are stuck in the 19th century when it comes to wearing hats. My agency also requires it, but I tell all my guys that their first priority is keeping their eyes on the car they just stopped and not looking around the front seat for their damn hat. Several officers have been killed in ambushes while looking for their hats and not watching the people in the car. For this reason I encourage all officers to make their initial approach without their hats. After they have determined that all appears OK with the driver/occupants, then wear it on your followup visit to the car.
im sorry but every state highway patrol man does not always have a dangerous call or following someone at 85+ mph and then pull off in median and whip out radar. thats just bull. they dont follow any laws themselves. go ahead flame away but if you always think a cop is on call or doesnt speed for the fun of it you are crazy. ive had a cop pull up in new charger and say when light turns green hit it!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I didn't get any further in the thread. This did it for me. I suppose those nice little signs in the median that say "reserved for authorized vehicles only" are just merely suggestions. If you could possibly pull your head out of your ass for just a moment, and think logically you may be able to comprehend this. I don't expect this to be the case however, since you apparently don't realize the previous officers example of having to announce to burglars that we're in the neighborhood is a perfect example of the idiocy that is to say a police officer shouldn't run radar with his lights off. Maybe we should post signs that say "POLICE SHOOTING RADAR AHEAD" in blinking lights so people know when to slow down.

Go spout nonsense elsewhere.

LOL OK, yet again here in small town Indiana there are no signs in the median that say for "authorized above the law citiziens, oops police occifers" posted. So like previously stated, it is dangerous and unintelligent to sit in a median and not be visible to passer byers because someone could slide off the road or attempt to turn around or blah blah blah and accidentally hit the person sitting there. Then it would undoubtely be the fault of the driver, even though the object they hit was not clearly visible. This is a 2 way street that some dont seem to realize. I don't need your stupid examples about how you dont want to advertise to a burglar your heading to a call, obviously thats a no freaking brainer. The way some of you can justify things is so twisted it makes me laugh when the same people say that "they are not above the law" but in the responses it so clearly shows that they feel they are.

So if you could kindly pull your head out of your own rectum and get a sign that says "I'm speeding for no good reason, because I can" that would be put to much better use, and the general public would enjoy it much more.

cbj5259

Established Member
im sorry but every state highway patrol man does not always have a dangerous call or following someone at 85+ mph and then pull off in median and whip out radar. thats just bull. they dont follow any laws themselves. go ahead flame away but if you always think a cop is on call or doesnt speed for the fun of it you are crazy. ive had a cop pull up in new charger and say when light turns green hit it!

I'm not saying that abuses never occur...I'm simply saying that there are many legitimate reasons for the actions you described. I cannot tell you how many suspected DUI calls and motor vehicle violation calls we get per shift.. I would say its probably at least 20 in a 12 hour tour usually, especially on daywork. Those types of calls require that we must first, locate the vehicle and second, observe the supposed infraction. So if I'm going east on the state highway and the supposed offender is heading west, you may see me go blowing past you just so I can get to the turn around and sit and wait for the suspect vehicle to pass me by so I can either clock it or follow it. If you haven't spent a day in a cops shoes and know the kind of calls we get, I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement. As I stated before, of course as with any job there are probably some abuses from time to time, but by your observations you make some assumptions that you just can't back up. I have been on both sides. What you perceive are abuses may actually be legitimate calls for service and you assume they are abuses.

...and after nearly 15 years on the job and pushing 40 I don't need to speed in a police cruiser for fun. I have seen the devastation that reckless driving can cause and have scraped more than my fair share of bodies off the roadway and had to make too many 2am knocks on parents doors. Cars can be just as much of a weapon as a firearm. Most police officers get the whole "I can drive fast" shit outta their system the first time their supervisor catches them driving like an asshole. Its just a job to most of us. People who have not done the job and watch too much TV may think we live for this crap, but we don't. Most of us just want to get home in one piece to our families. Do you think a Gynecologist wakes up everyday and says "Oh boy...I get to look at at a bunch of vaginas today!" No..of course not. While it may sound really great to us, its just a job for them.

Last edited:

wesessiah

Established Member
LOL OK, yet again here in small town Indiana there are no signs in the median that say for "authorized above the law citiziens, oops police occifers" posted. So like previously stated, it is dangerous and unintelligent to sit in a median and not be visible to passer byers because someone could slide off the road or attempt to turn around or blah blah blah and accidentally hit the person sitting there. Then it would undoubtely be the fault of the driver, even though the object they hit was not clearly visible. This is a 2 way street that some dont seem to realize. I don't need your stupid examples about how you dont want to advertise to a burglar your heading to a call, obviously thats a no freaking brainer. The way some of you can justify things is so twisted it makes me laugh when the same people say that "they are not above the law" but in the responses it so clearly shows that they feel they are.

So if you could kindly pull your head out of your own rectum and get a sign that says "I'm speeding for no good reason, because I can" that would be put to much better use, and the general public would enjoy it much more.

if a passer by slid off the road i would imagine they would have done so regardless of the patrol car having lights on. in an in service training class, we were shown some statistics about stationary patrol cars getting hit, and the vast majority having their blue lights on. i'll try to find that to give my reference, but it stated a subconscious propensity to follow/be attracted to lights. how often do you hear of a stationary patrol car on a stop etc being hit compared to one that was sitting somewhere with no lights on?
to put it in words similar to yours, the way you try to justify police being the scum/bane/blight of society because of how some choose to run radar is twisted.
this thread makes me think of a specific scenario...
getting a priority one call, so you run emergency traffic, clear intersections properly and go through with lights on, then getting disregarded so you stop running emergency traffic. next thing you know, there are five complaints on you for turning your lights on just to skip a red light, and they call the sergeant a liar because he said you were on your way to a call and got disregarded.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Around here they have to have a top light to do speed inforcement but they have been putting the lights inside recently and some smart folks have been getting out of tickets because of it. Either way speeding is enforced way to heavily.. its just a money creator... let's. Ticket this person for going 10 mph over then do 40 mph an hour over to catch up... so the officer is qualified to do that speed? Hmm I'm qualified also to do that speed doesn't mean I'm exempt to that law... o wait they get to break laws to enforce laws...

cbj5259

Established Member
Around here they have to have a top light to do speed inforcement but they have been putting the lights inside recently and some smart folks have been getting out of tickets because of it. Either way speeding is enforced way to heavily.. its just a money creator... let's. Ticket this person for going 10 mph over then do 40 mph an hour over to catch up... so the officer is qualified to do that speed? Hmm I'm qualified also to do that speed doesn't mean I'm exempt to that law... o wait they get to break laws to enforce laws...

Umm.. yes we are qualified to do that kind of driving. 6 months in the police police academy and pursuit and EVOC training say so. Do you think they just hand out guns and badges to us like in the wild west? How do you propose that the police catch a speeder if they cannot speed? Until they give us EMP cannons that can zap peoples ignition systems and stop the car, simple physics dictates we must travel faster than the object we are trying to catch up to. Its kind of a ridiculous argument. Using your rationale it would be illegal for police to shoot a suspect who is shooting at them, because why should the police have the right to break a law just to enforce the law? As far as you believing speeding laws are ridiculous, then write to your state legislators and tell them to change the laws. Cops don't make the laws.. they enforce them.

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
let's be real here. the only reason anyone cares, REALLY CARES, if police have some sort of light on while waiting for a speeder is so you might be able to see him and slow down in time. btw, if you can see him you're probably too late anyways.

ill be the first to admit i dont like it either. no one wants to be caught doing 5-10mph over and "hassled". its just how it is. they have a job to do whether you, or they really, like it or not.

dont like it, dont speed.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Umm.. yes we are qualified to do that kind of driving. 6 months in the police police academy and pursuit and EVOC training say so. Do you think they just hand out guns and badges to us like in the wild west? How do you propose that the police catch a speeder if they cannot speed? Until they give us EMP cannons that can zap peoples ignition systems and stop the car, simple physics dictates we must travel faster than the object we are trying to catch up to. Its kind of a ridiculous argument. Using your rationale it would be illegal for police to shoot a suspect who is shooting at them, because why should the police have the right to break a law just to enforce the law? As far as you believing speeding laws are ridiculous, then write to your state legislators and tell them to change the laws. Cops don't make the laws.. they enforce them.

The make speed cameras for a reason.... no need for a cop to do radar at all.. except to pass time.. id rather spend my money having him help people out rather than cost regular people late to work 300 dollars because of a motion.. going 65 or 85 isn't going to matter when you hit a wall.. look at germany they don't inforce speed like here.. auto deaths are down and the hate for the cops isn't as large as it is in america... but to answer your smart ass attempt at being cool... cameras we use them now and they work great... eliminates the need for an officer on the roads instead of a t the scene.. and yes ill write to congross because they care what I have to say.... yea.... thanks for that useless advice and let's be honest police don't enforce all laws.. just the ones in which they see fit... main reason why police. Are hated by so many...

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
The make speed cameras for a reason.... no need for a cop to do radar at all.. except to pass time.. id rather spend my money having him help people out rather than cost regular people late to work 300 dollars because of a motion.. going 65 or 85 isn't going to matter when you hit a wall.. look at germany they don't inforce speed like here.. auto deaths are down and the hate for the cops isn't as large as it is in america... but to answer your smart ass attempt at being cool... cameras we use them now and they work great... eliminates the need for an officer on the roads instead of a t the scene.. and yes ill write to congross because they care what I have to say.... yea.... thanks for that useless advice and let's be honest police don't enforce all laws.. just the ones in which they see fit... main reason why police. Are hated by so many...

Wasn't a smart ass answer or an attempt to be "cool"...lol. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Was simply a question. Why would you rather have a computer issue you a citation than a human being? These boards are littered with stories of cops giving people breaks on tickets they really deserved. Do you think the skynet computer really cares if you were speeding because your mom is dying in the hospital or your wife is in labor? A human police officer will. Its apparent you hate cops and that's your right so I'm not going to convince you either way.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
The make speed cameras for a reason.... no need for a cop to do radar at all..

No chance for the violator to get a warning either. Is that what you want?

look at germany they don't inforce speed like here.. auto deaths are down and the hate for the cops isn't as large as it is in america...

Never been to Germany, eh? They do in fact enforce speed limits (only certain stretches of the Autobahn have no speed limit). They tend to be better drivers than Americans (their licensing procedures are a lot more stringent). The penalties in Germany can be quite severe, as well.

cameras we use them now and they work great... eliminates the need for an officer on the roads

A speed/camera system does nothing more than generate citations. They never give warnings (FYI, officers tend to give out more warnings than citations). A camera is incapable of responding to reckless drivers, vehicle accidents, drunk drivers, etc.

You believing there is no need for officers on the street indicates just how naive you are.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
No chance for the violator to get a warning either. Is that what you want?

Never been to Germany, eh? They do in fact enforce speed limits (only certain stretches of the Autobahn have no speed limit). They tend to be better drivers than Americans (their licensing procedures are a lot more stringent). The penalties in Germany can be quite severe, as well.

A speed/camera system does nothing more than generate citations. They never give warnings (FYI, officers tend to give out more warnings than citations). A camera is incapable of responding to reckless drivers, vehicle accidents, drunk drivers, etc.

You believing there is no need for officers on the street indicates just how naive you are.

Why couldn't you get a warning the first time or times you got a speed camera ticket??? That would work

Also I have seen that for the main part of Europe they know how to drive a lot better and less cops as well.

And I am sure no officers but drastically reduced with speed cameras and then the officers could do something better then writing tickets all day and save the government money over the long run. Sounds like a win win

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DaBigBone

Established Member

It's enforced heavily because people speed too much. If nobody speeds, then officers can't write tickets. It's not like we force people to speed just so we can write tickets and make money lol

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
And I am sure no officers but drastically reduced with speed cameras

How would speed cameras catch drunk drivers, reckless drivers, etc.? The fact a substantial number of drivers operate their vehicles in an unsafe manner dictate the amount of traffic enforcement officers needed.

and then the officers could do something better then writing tickets all day and save the government money over the long run. Sounds like a win win

Traffic enforcement officers do a lot more than just writing tickets. Here's a thought, try walking in an officer's shoes before offering an ignorant opinion opinion on what is important or not. By the way, any idea on how many traffic fatalities there are per year on USA highways versus other non-natural causes of death?

Want to reduce the amount of traffic enforcement officers in the USA? Convince everyone to start driving responsibly.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
How would speed cameras catch drunk drivers, reckless drivers, etc.? The fact a substantial number of drivers operate their vehicles in an unsafe manner dictate the amount of traffic enforcement officers needed.

Traffic enforcement officers do a lot more than just writing tickets. Here's a thought, try walking in an officer's shoes before offering an ignorant opinion opinion on what is important or not. By the way, any idea on how many traffic fatalities there are per year on USA highways versus other non-natural causes of death?

Want to reduce the amount of traffic enforcement officers in the USA? Convince everyone to start driving responsibly.

I'm pretty sure there could be cameras to caught drunk drivers. I'm pretty sure cars can park themselves, have adaptive cruise control, and close to drive themselves. So I'm sure there is a way to cut officers and cameras do a good chunk of the work.

And why are there fatality accidents every year? More police isn't the answer I'll tell you that

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I'm pretty sure there could be cameras to caught drunk drivers. I'm pretty sure cars can park themselves, have adaptive cruise control, and close to drive themselves. So I'm sure there is a way to cut officers and cameras do a good chunk of the work.

And why are there fatality accidents every year? More police isn't the answer I'll tell you that

Your response makes absolutely no sense...

wesessiah

Established Member

this really does sound like a skynet type response. do you want ai style cameras that learn and adapt? sounds expensive. a camera can't testify to "in my experience and training ______ indicates an intoxicated driver." lets say a camera can identify someone crossing double yellow multiple times somehow over the course of a mile. who's to say there wasn't a bug in the car biting the driver. are those people shit out of luck and get stuck with a dwi? or are we going to have a big brother society with cameras that can track the person all the way home so an officer can intercept them and run a breathalyzer?
are you saying stopping drunk drivers won't stop drunk driving fatalities?

stockmachoxford

Established Member

Your an idiot.

cbj5259

Established Member
You can't argue with people who educate themselves using TV and video games. Cameras enforcing DUI? While we are at it let's have unicorns conduct homicide investigations and hobbits can respond to domestic complaints. Let me ask you a question.. how frustrated do you get when you call your credit card company or bank and have to wade through 30 minutes of automated bullshit before you actually speak to a human? Now you want to take that kind of "efficiency" and apply it to arguably the most important aspect of your existence as an American? Yes...your freedom and your civil rights being doled out to you by a mindless automaton robot. Yeah...that sounds like a future I want. Do yourself a favor and read the book "1984" and stop watching BS on TV and playing call of duty and educate yourself.

We could just as easily eliminate speeding issues if we electronically eliminated the ability of every car to be governed at 55mph too, but I don't see anyone crowing for that. That would be a much cheaper solution, but "oh no" that would limit your freedoms. So instead of doing that, let's change the entire system.

Sent from my sharona

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread