possible new product. custom road race style hood vents!!

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Im for sure going to pick a set of these up. Love it!!

Thanks!!!

The only issue I see is where the water would go, It looks like it would be a bit further back than the stock vents. Other than that I think you have a winner on your hands. Fabrication shouldn't be that bad. Have you done any research on making them out of aluminum?or would that not be cost effective? Are the scoops sheet metal as well and what guage are they made out of? Could you make them [ the scoops] out of a high impact/heat plastic?
I'll stop now. lol...good luck guys I think it's a good idea and who cares if its not flush they look good.

almost forgot would they be delivered raw or at least primered I would suggest primed. G/L

If used with the optional underhood scoops, water would be drained only a few inches farther back than the stock extractors. It basically dumps water in front of the heads/valve covers...not on top of the engine. My car is a DD...water is not an issue.

These are made out of thin sheet aluminum which allows them to tighten down flush to the hood.

Sure, high impact plastic is a possibility but the aluminum proto-types on my car have held up for over a year with no problems. Weight and durability is not an issue when using thin aluminum sheet metal.

These are made out of aluminum and the hardware is SS. They can be painted, brushed, polished or left raw. No need to deliver them primered...rust is not an issue with the aluminum vents or SS hardware. We'll give the consumer options in regards to the texture available. When I first put them on, they had a brushed texture but shortly after I sand blasted them. Now they are painted flat black.

Very nice!! I may end up with a set of these. I just have to get over butchering my hood first. Hmmm, wonder if I could find a used hood for track days??

Anyway, this looks like a great design to get rid of that baking hot air on track days. :beer:

Not as hard as people think but the spare hood for track days sounds like an excellent idea??? Yep, these really open things up and extract the heat!!!

Very interesting mod! Nice work. Obviously you'd want to avoid driving in the rain, but those who order them likely never allow rain to touch their paint. Now all you need is an inexpensive molded cover to lay over the vents when you're going to wash the car. :)

Like I mentioned before, water is not an issue with the optional underhood scoops. I drive my car on a daily basis and it has sat out in the rain in the past. I wash her at least once a month, sometimes more. Any water that splashes below the hood can easily be wiped or blown off with compressed air. For the most part, water drains in the same location as stock.

You are right, most Cobra owners will probably never drive their Cobras in the rain but the optional scoops allow for no worries in regards to rain or washing.

I think they seem very functional. I think its a great idea.

Thanks!!!

:beer:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
dont know why but im not digging the vents......i like just the stockers the others look like too much...i know they help the hot air escape but nope not digging it.....jmo

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Wow! Those look awesome!

Thank you!!!

dont know why but im not digging the vents......i like just the stockers the others look like too much...i know they help the hot air escape but nope not digging it.....jmo

Fair enough...this mod is not for everyone...thanks for your input tho!!!

Later...Dave

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
Anyone have pics of these on a black car???.... I think the Black ones can really make it look factory (ish-kinda-not really)

but pending how they look on a black one I would be very temped to buy'em...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Anyone have pics of these on a black car???.... I think the Black ones can really make it look factory (ish-kinda-not really)

but pending how they look on a black one I would be very temped to buy'em...

theyre a one off set dave made for his own car :poke::p

maybe someone can PS dave's SB car black in one of those pics for you :thumbsup:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen these in person and they are very nice pieces... and getting as much heat as you can out of the engine bay is always a good thing. I am always surprised to see how much less the fan runs with the hood open as it does when it's closed.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
theyre a one off set dave made for his own car :poke::p

maybe someone can PS dave's SB car black in one of those pics for you :thumbsup:

Here you go, Steve.

IMG_9925Mediumcopy.jpg

Phxcobra

Established Member
I'm wondering if they'd function even better if they were more of a louvered design?

i

racebronco2

Established Member
For those worried about driving in the rain, the vents in my hood are a little bigger and i have driven in rain storms, most of the rain just goes past the openings. I have also been in stop and go traffic in the rain with no problems. I even wash my car without covering the vents. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Sorry guys...been real busy with renovating the new house. I'll get back to ya guys soon...still pricing stuff out!!!

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread